Uh oh.. Your a freshman!
Are you ready?
Hello! My name is Lilliann Miller
How is it like being a freshman so far? Being a freshman really isn't that nerve racking once you get into a routine. This year in English you will be doing many interesting and exciting things. You will also be reading many types of text also. That might sound exciting for some of you and maybe not so exciting for others. Honestly, when I found out we where reading a lot I was not excited whatsoever but surprisingly I became more of a reader this year. We studied many different kinds of texts like the Odyssey and Romeo and Juliet. English was my favorite class to come to! Even the boring stuff Mrs. Allen makes it fun and easy to learn about, she gives you many assignments about the subjects so you can understand it better. You will have lots of fun in English Class!
Overview of the books you will be reading!!
- The Hunger Games- I'm sure everyone has read or seen the movie but if not you will love it! Its about, The Capitol of Panem maintains its hold on its 12 districts by forcing them each to select a boy and a girl, called Tributes, to compete in a nationally televised event called the Hunger Games. Every citizen must watch as the youths fight to the death until only one remains. District 12 Tribute Katniss Everdeen has little to rely on, other than her hunting skills and sharp instincts.
- Odyssey- Homer's epic of Odysseus' 10-year struggle to return home after the Trojan War. While Odysseus battles mystical creatures and faces the wrath of the gods, his wife Penelope and his son Telemachus stave off suitors vying for Penelope's hand and Ithaca's throne long enough for Odysseus to return. I know that reading about mythical creatures might not seem very interesting to some but its actually a really fun section to learn about.
- Poetry- I personally do not like writing poetry but I like reading and listening to other poems. The reason is because they tell amazing stories through poems. Mrs. Allen will assign you to write a poem and make you do other assignments that have to do with poetry.
I personally like independent reading the most because it your choice on what you want to read. Mrs. Allen gives you a time limit on how long you have to read your book. After you finish your book you are too schedule a time for your book talk. During the book talk Mrs. Allen will ask you a series of questions about the book and she will give you a grade on how well you do and how well you know about your book (Trust me she will know if you read your book or not)
What I like best in Mrs. Allens class!
Towards the end of the year we got to watch and read poetry. We read many emotional and inspirational poems and also watched some also. One of my favorite things we watched was Louder Than A Bomb. Teenagers your age and some even older participate in louder than a bomb. They get students that are interested in writing poetry and form a group. After a few weeks of practicing and writing poetry they compete against other schools. You also get to learn about the teens background life and some of the stories are very emotional and inspirational but not all.
What I struggled with the most!
Even though I enjoyed everything Mrs.Allen taught there where a few things that I struggled with. The one thing that i struggled with the most was the Odyssey and don't get me wrong it was very cool and interesting to learn about it was just confusing to me. It was confusing because there where so many people and creatures involved that I always got them mixed up on who is who!
My advice for you!
The one thing that will benefit you the most in English Class is to ALWAYS be ORGANIZED!! That will benefit you dearly. The reason I say that is because once in a while Mrs. Allen has a binder check which she gives you a paper with how the papers in your binder should be organized and what order they should go in. There is five sections and every time she hands out paper you will put numbers on the top right corner to indicate which section it goes into. As long as you put that paper in the right section you will be golden when it comes to binder checks. This will save you less stress! Don't be that person that just throws the papers anywhere because you will be up till midnight trying to organize which papers go where the night before you have your binder check ( I've been that person before ) Make sure you buy two binders for Mrs. Allen's class just in case, I went through two binders in her class because she does give you a lot of papers but its to your benefit!
Top 5 ways to survive in Mrs. Allen's class :)
- Do not throw ANYTHING away!! unless she tells you other wise
- Stay organized
- Be ready to read your brains out!
- Be yourself :)
- Be ready to do a lots of projects
Mondays aren't always bad!
"I know today is Monday and you assume its going to suck, but according to statistics, there will be over 5,000 weddings, 10,000 childbirths, and 42 million hugs occurring throughout the day in the united states. Also today, there will be at least 4 people that will win the multi-million on dollar lotteries, 6,000 people will get promotions at work. There will be 600 dogs adopted, 35,000 balloons sold & 80,000 skittles sold. Plus, the word "I love you" will be said over 9 million times. So again, I know today is Monday and you assume its going to suck but just smile, because according to the statistics, it should actually be a really nice day."