Pollution in Oceans
By Olivia and Katherine
- More than 1 billion people around the world don’t have access to safe drinking water.
- 5000 people die every day because of drinking unclean water.
- 70% of the earth is covered with water.
- Man-made chemicals released in the ocean affect every Marine animal.
- It is estimated that every square mile of ocean has more than 45,000 pieces of plastic floating in it.
- Oils and chemicals can damage the corals and reefs in the ocean, which results in the corals, and reefs dying leaving animals with no habitat
- One million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed every year from plastic being dumped in our oceans.
- People get contaminated from eating seafood that has been contaminated from the pollution.
- Billions of tonnes of rubbish end up in the ocean every year.
- In many parts of the world sewage water is being disposed in the ocean untreated, this can cause serious effects on marine and human life.