The Blake Buzz
Week of Nov. 30- Dec. 4, 2015
The Countdown to Winter Break has begun!
I'm sorry that this week's Blake Buzz is so late coming to you. I have not been this sick in a long time, and Leslie has also been very under the weather. Thank you to all of you who have checked in on us and told us you missed us. It was greatly appreciated and nice to hear your kind words. I'm glad to be back.
We only have 2 1/2 weeks until we all get some much-needed and well-deserved time off for Winter Break. I know we all want to be off work and enjoying time with our families. That time will be here before we know it. When you feel like your heart's not in it, keep in mind that to most of our children, you are their idols! You mean the world to so many of them who may lack instability in their lives, and you serve as role models every day. Keep smiling and keep doing your best. They listen to everything we say, and watch everything we do, including our facial expressions, and body language. It's SO WORTH IT when you think of the lifelong impact you are having on these little minds. If you're not feeling your best, fake it 'til you make it!
Thank you so much to all of you for the extra things you do each day in addition to teaching. We have a very thoughtful, generous staff, who go above and beyond the call of duty. Here are just a few that I would like to acknowledge.
- Our Blake Angels have been adopted and Christmas morning will be a little brighter for 65 students. WOW! You're so generous.
- Our Santa Breakfast has lots of volunteers, and our PTA has worked hard to make it a fun time for our kiddos. This has become a Blake tradition, so if you have never been, you may want to check it out. It's fantastic! It is fun to get to spend time with our kids in a non-teaching setting.
- Our PBIS team (Meg, Brittney, Felisha, Angel, Jill B. Laura, Leslie, and I) have attended PD and are working hard on plans help us improve student behavior! (Our student of the month recognition and paw print tickets will start soon.)
- Many of our teachers have attended professional development to be able to improve their practice and share what they have learned with the rest of us. Grace, Olivia, Whitney, Natalie, Ashley will soon be sharing new learning. Thank you!
- Ashley and Melissa C. are in the U of L DREAM math cohort, and will become math specialists who will help us all become more literate in math and make shifts in our practice. These ladies will attend U of L courses each week and during the summer this year and next year.
- Our PGES Peer Observers have been trained and are ready to start observing and talking about the Danielson framework with you. Thank you to Debbie, Venita, Kristen, Whitney, and Olivia for volunteering.
- And let's not forget our Bellarmine Literacy Project teachers and coach, Rebecca, Natalie, Maddie, Olivia, Grace, Tracie, Pam, John, Brittney, Aria, who attend class each week and give multiple assessments in addition to team and district assessments! If you see a Bellarmine teacher today, give them some encouragement. What they are doing is not easy.
- Our classified staff support our school in too many ways to name! We could not function without the important work that you all do. Our assistants, lunch staff, custodians, office staff, early childhood, MHC, FRC, and Success Coach work hard each day. Our teachers love you, and appreciate all that you do!
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING! Remember, anything you do for a child is never wasted time.
- Pay Day
- PTA Breakfast with Santa (Sat. 9-11am) A HUGE THANK YOU to all staff who have volunteered! It you are still interested, please let Ms. Angel know ASAP.
- Basketball team plays at The Brown School at 9:45 a.m.
7-11 STAFF SNACK WEEK- Look for information in your mailboxes for details. We will all take turns providing treats in the lounge to help brighten our days leading up to Winter Break!
- Teachers update grade books
- PBIS Team meeting in conference room 4:10pm.
- Faculty Meeting- Assessment info ELA and Math presented by Whitney, Olivia, and Natalie. On-Demand writing: bring a piece of writing from every student. Results from survey sent to teachers will be shared.
- PTA Holiday Shop- Look for info to come in your mailboxes from PTA. Whatever they do not sell on Santa Breakfast day will be for sale at school.
- ILT 4pm- We will be discussing SMART Goal setting & rewards, Spelling Bee, Math Night and Bellarmine Literacy Night, Committee responsibilities, Super Planning, Reading tier data vs. proficiency data
- PBIS Team attends all-day PD outside of building
- Basketball game at The Brown School
- Staff Ugly Christmas Sweater Day- We will pose for a picture together at the Staff party that begins at 4p.m. A prize will be given for the ugliest sweater. Be creative!
- All-staff Holiday party in the library. Light snacks will be provided, and we will be having a White Elephant gift exchange. Bring a $10 (suggested) wrapped gift to exchange if you would like to participate in the gift swap. It's fun to see whose gift will be stolen!
- Principals' Meeting
- Staff Christmas Luncheon- A catered holiday luncheon will be provided in the lounge to express appreciation to all Blake staff!
- Grading Period Ends
- Teachers update grade books
- School Wide Sing-Along by Christmas Tree 2pm/Holiday Parties 2:30-3:30pm
- Pay Day
- Winter Break- No School