Happenings at Calico Cottage!
August is here and there is lots happening here at Calico Cottage.
- Summer Saturday Hours starting after Memorial Day until Labor Day the shop hours on Saturday will be from 9:30 AM until 3:00 PM.
- Join us any Thursday evening anytime from 5 PM to 9 PM for "Girls Night Out", bring something to work on. Someone is always on site to offer assistance if you need some extra help or advice. We will have great conversation and maybe get some projects done.
- Illusions BOM club continues to meet on the first Friday of each month.
- Happy Hour is scheduled for August 12th! Julie will be on Facebook live Friday night August 12th for Happy Hour, to show you what is new at Calico Cottage.
- Join us for our annual Sidewalk Sale on Aug 13th.
- Quilts of Valor Sew day is August 17th from 9:30 AM until 2:30 PM
- Exploring Embroidery is resuming on August 18th from 7 to 9 PM
- Remember the 25th of the month is "12 Months of Christmas" = free Christmas projects.
- August 23rd features "Wool Club" from 1:00 PM until 4:00 PM. You can join the wool club at any time!
- Sew....It's Friday, happens on August 26th join us for a "free day of sewing"
- Scrappy Saturday is on August 27th stop by to pick up your free patterns for more ideas.
- Don't forget the once-a-month Fat Quarter Friday Sale - see sale section for details.
- Are you worried about getting your Nebraska State Fair entries done online? Well Sue says she is more than happy to make time for you at her house to do those entries, just give her a call 402.463.5202 (home). If that does not work Julie is ready and willing to help you too here at the shop. Call to schedule a time with her 402.469.0940 (cell).
- Guest Teacher coming to Calico Cottage - Save the Date September 24 for Cathy Kaufman (Certified Laura Heine Instructor) More details below. There are only a few spaces left.
Getting to know Us!
By now most of you have had the opportunity to stop in and meet Julie and the staff at Calico Cottage. During the next few months, we will be featuring an employee so you get to know us just a bit better. Next up is Diane McLeod our Business Manager!
My family: Bill and I have been married 38 years. We have three grown daughters: Pamala Gregg (Justin), Cassandra Bishard (Luke) and Karissa McLeod. We also have been blessed with four amazing grandchildren: Braxton, Landon, Ellianna and Lillian. We were fortunate to be able to raise our girls in the area where we both grew up. We have a row crop operation and run a few head of Registered Polled Herefords. I have served the community by volunteering in several school and 4-H groups.
Julie and I have been close friends for quite some time. I have helped her in the shop on a casual basis the last several years. This is my first “paid off-farm” job. Although I took this position on a temporary basis, my family has adjusted to the change and I am enjoying the experience. We think it might be permanent.
I am not a quilter, although I have completed a couple of projects. The only part I enjoy is the part I hear many of you complain about…hand sewing the binding to finish the creation. My hobbies of choice are scrapbooking and handwork. Have you gone up to the third floor to see the selection of scrapbooking and cardmaking supplies Blu J has to offer?
Here are a few questions we asked Diane to get to know her just a bit better.
- Favorite Color: Pink, all shades from baby pink to fuchsia
- Favorite Season: I like seasons. I enjoy having something new to anticipate. However, I really do like snow. Nothing beats a good snow day, locked inside with the family. It’s like a surprise vacation.
- Morning/Night: Night Owl. I hate to get up and get going. I am much more effective and efficient during the night.
- Childhood dreams: I wanted to be my mom. She supported everything I attempted. Everyone thought well of her. She helped Dad on the farm. She was dedicated, strong willed, intelligent, and compassionate.
- Inspiration: My love for God, family and Country, without them there is nothing.
- Favorite food: I love roast beef with potatoes, gravy and corn on the cob. And then there is milk chocolate covered caramel.
- Best Vacation: My sister, Karen, and I took all six of our kids on a trip through western Nebraska. We went to Cody Go-Carts, Chimney Rock, Carhenge, and Front Street. The trip culminated with a stop at the museum where our maternal grandparents have an extensive collection. It was great to share our heritage with our children. We photographed each girl wearing a treasured dress of our great-grandmother. 5 generations have worn the dress.
- Words to live by: Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever you were going to do anyway.
- Notions: I love the new Creative Grids Rotary Cutter. Magnetic pin holder, ViviLux Light, seam ripper, and a calculator.
What's NEW at the "COTTAGE"
Fall & Christmas Arriving Daily!
Be sure to check them out on our website www.calicocottagenebraska.com
Below is just a sample to wet your appetite for more!
Boo with Glow by Henry Glass
Fall Potpourri by Henry Glass
"Merry Town" by Studio E Fabrics
It's a Wrap (Original Calico Cottage Patterns)
August - "Picnic Friends"
July - "Feelin' Patriotic"
June - "Summer Tweet Summer"
May - "Brings May Flowers"
April - "Not just any rabbit... it's the Easter Bunny"
March - "No Shenanigans just Clovers"
February - " Love Hearts"
January - "Sledding through the Winter"
Each month on the first Wednesday of the month a new wrap for the month will be released!
Stop by and pick up your free pattern and/or (kit includes pattern) for $ I7.49.
Please note our class schedule has been scaled down for the summer. But please remember we are here for you! If you need help with your project give us a call and we will set up a time with you to provide our 1 on 1 assistance with no charge.
All classes with the exception of Barn Quilts and Embroidery Classes require a sewing machine and basic sewing supplies: mat, rulers, cutter, thread, scissors, pins, marking pencils, seam ripper, etc. Call, stop in or e-mail the store for a more detailed supply list on any specific class.
August 1st and 2nd
September 12th & 13th
Class Fee - 2' x 2' = $45.00, 3' x 3' = $55.00, 4' x 4' = $65.00
Choose a two - day evening class. Find a time that fits your schedule. These classes tend to fill quickly so sign up early. Wear your painting clothes and learn the technique on plywood. The class fee includes wood, paint and all the materials. Instructor, Rickie Crandell, suggests that you bring a book or something to do while the paint is drying. You might also bring a hair dryer to speed up the process. If you're painting a 4' x 4', make sure it will fit in your vehicle so you can take it home after it dries.
Exploring Embroidery and Embellishments - "Free Class with Julie"
Select a panel (any panel of your choice) this is what you will work on during the classes, August 18th, September 15th, October 20th, November 17th, and December 15th. Each class will be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Please note you do not need to attend all the classes but you do need to call and let us know that you will be attending
- Please bring scissors, embroidery floss, specialty threads, beads, a hoop & needles to the class.
Class is for Beginning Level to Experienced Embroiders - Everyone will learn something new!
- Check out the Sidewalk Sale Deals on August 13th
- Fat Quarter Friday on August 19th - Take a chance and draw for your discount on the fat quarters. You may draw prior to shopping for the fat quarters. There will be some great deals on the "fats".
- Manic Monday August 22nd "All Fabric Sale" - Buy 1 yard get the second yard off the same bolt 1/2 off
Quilting Across Nebraska 2022
Save these Dates!
Upcoming events & classes:
- Sept 2nd - Illusions BOM
- Sept 9th - Happy Hour Facebook Live
- Sept 10th - Downtown Junk Street
- Sept 12th, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm, New Club starting in September "M.E." (Machine Embroidery). This will be an on-going learning new techniques as you attend.
- Sept 12th & 13th - Barn Quilts
- Sept 15th - Exploring Embroidery
- Sept 21st - Quilts of Valor Sew Day
- Sept 24th - 12 months of Christmas Patterns
- Sept 24th - Scrappy Saturday
- Sept 27th - Wool Club
- Sept 30th - Sew... It's Friday
- Sew with Sue Classes in October! I love Nebraska on October 4th, Divinely Double on October 11th & Christmas Stocking on October 18th
Quilt Shows & Events
- Quilt Gardens along the Heritage Trail, in communities of Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury, Nappanee, Bristol and Wakarusa in Elkhart County Indiana. May 30 - September 15. 1,000,000+ glorious blooms in super-sized Quilt Gardens, plus hand-painted Quilt Murals. Free Event.
- Nebraska State Fair - Aug 26th through Sept 5th
- Threads Across Nebraska, Buffalo County Fairgrounds in Kearney, October 7th & 8th
Sue's Quilt Retreat at Calico Cottage Oct 21, 22 & 23 has several spaces available stop in to register.
Julie is adding another retreat with Sue at Calico Cottage this fall November 11th & 12th let us know if you are interested.
Remember to Stop by the Calico Cottage Nebraska Facebook Page regularly!
Register Now, for Guest Instructor!
- Who - Cathy Kaufman, Fabric Artist, Certified Instructor.
- What - Fabric Collage Workshop, Featuring Laura Heine Techniques/Class - Teeny Tiny Collage Patterns (about 16"x20"). You pick your design not limited to the picture.
- Where - Calico Cottage
- When - September 23rd (Hastings Quilt Guild) or September 24th (Anyone can attend either day) *Note Friday is full and there is only 3 spaces available on Saturday.
- Fee - $90 per day (you may attend both sessions or either one) plus the pattern and your supplies. Cathy is doing a price reduction of $15 per registration. If you have already paid the full amount, there will be a refund waiting for you.
Come to Shop!
Summer Saturdays (Memorial Day through Labor Day); closing at 3:00 PM
Regular Saturdays; 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Julie, and her Calico Cottage Piecemaker's - Diane, Lorinda, Ann, Carla, Deb, Eileen, Jo & Sharon will be happy to assist you!