Excellence in a Creative Environment for Learning
Lead DBE: Student Leadership Team
Who Are We?
8 highly motivated students
2 dedicated teachers
100% committed to DB-EXCEL
What Are We Doing?
Our goal is to help DB-EXCEL be the best that it can be: for students, teachers, parents, and the community!
As part of Lead DBE, you will:
Conduct surveys to improve DBE
Conduct and Organize tours of DBE
Lead Improvement Projects at DBE
Assist in Operations at DBE
Lead Community Outreach for DBE
And so much more!!!
Discover your Leadership Potential!
Join Lead DBE today!
Go to https://tinyurl.com/LeadDBE to submit your name to receive an application!
D-B EXCEL Online Store
We have arranged to have a temporary online store through Action Athletics so students, parents, and staff can purchase DBE merchandise (Shirts, hoodies, hats, bags, etc.). The store will be open until 10am on Monday, August 20th. Most shirts have color options. Merchandise will be ordered after the store closes and will be delivered to students at school when it is ready. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Shaffer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DBE Online Store: https://dbexcelfall18.itemorder.com/sale
Online Course Offerings Through the Niswonger Foundation
The following online courses are offered through Niswonger:
AP Human Geography
AP Environmental Science
AP Art History
Fundamentals of Education
Spanish, French, Latin
If you are interested, please see Mrs. Livesay. Deadline is Monday, 8/13.
Tri-Cities College Fair
Eligible Juniors & Seniors will be going to the Tri-Cities College Fair on Thursday, August 30th at Freedom Hall Civic Center. Students will depart about 8:30am and return to school about 10:30am. Permission forms can be picked up from Mrs. Kerkhoff and must be signed and returned to participate.
SENIOR ACT RETAKE DAY
- DBE Seniors who would like to do so, can retake the ACT on Tuesday, October 2nd.
- This is a free opportunity provided by the state to take the ACT again.
- Please contact Mrs. Livesay or Mrs. Hensley if you would like to sign up for the retake. Registration closes on Friday, August 17th.
- Remember to try your best! ACT scores can help you get more scholarships and other opportunities!
Sign Up to Take the ASVAB
- The ASVAB is a multiple-aptitude battery that measures developed abilities and helps predict future academic and occupational success in the military. It is administered annually to more than one million military applicants, high school, and post-secondary students.
- The ASVAB will be given November 15th at 8am in the Little Theatre at D-B.
- You may sign up with Mrs. Kerkhoff.
- Deadline to register is November 8th.
Eastman Black History Oratorical Contest
Students selected as authors of the top 15 essays will be invited to the Annual Eastman Black History Month Luncheon held on Tuesday, January 22, 2019, at the Eastman Lodge, 406 Bays Mountain Park Road, Kingsport, TN 37660. Each attending student will receive special recognition at the luncheon and will receive 2 tickets for their special guests to attend.
- The 1st place student will receive a $1,000 cash prize
- 2nd place $500
- 3rd place $300
- 4th and 5th place $250.
Applicants must submit an original written essay, discussing an acknowledged African American STEAM contributor no later than Friday, November 16, 2018.
For more information, please CLICK HERE to view all contest guidelines.
Canvas Parent Accounts
*If you already have an account from the Canvas Parent App, log in to Canvas using those credentials.
*To observe a student, you must know the student's Canvas username and password.
To set up your parent account:
- Go to https://kingsport.instructure.com/login/canvas
- Click the account link at the top of the page.
- Enter your name in the Your Name field.
- Enter your email in the Your Email field.
- Enter your child's username in the Child's Username field.
- Enter your child's password in the Child's Password field.
- Click the Start Participating button.
While your account is not entirely set up, you can begin participating in Canvas immediately by clicking the Get Started button.
To finish registering for Canvas, log into your email account.
Open the email from Instructure Canvas. To visit the provided URL and complete the registration process, click the link provided.
To complete the registration process fill out the following fields:
- Verify your email in the Login field.
- Set your password by typing in the Password field.
- Set your timezone by selecting the Time Zone drop-down menu.
- Click the Register button. You will be redirected to the Canvas URL login page for your account.
Want to learn more about Canvas?
Join the Parent Introduction to Canvas course!
(no need for an account - this course is open to the public!)
Click here to go to the Canvas login page. Click Browse courses. Choose the "Parent Introduction to Canvas" course.
DBE School Schedule
School Day: 7:45am - 2:30pm
Advisory 7:45am - 8:25am
A Block 8:30am - 9:45am
B Block 9:50am - 11:05am
C Block 11:10am - 1:05pm
D Block 1:10pm - 2:30pm
Dismissal: Beginning at 2:30pm
Bus riders will be dismissed at the 2:30pm bell.
Car riders will be dismissed as the bus leaves. **CAR RIDERS CAN ONLY BE PICKED UP IN THE DBE PARKING LOT OR ON ROLLER STREET**
- Student drivers and walkers will be dismissed last.
*Advisory is a class and students will have tasks to complete during this period. Attendance will be taken in Advisory and absences can effect their ability to participate in school activities that have attendance requirements.*
- Paper (College or Wide Ruled)
- 3 Ring Binder (At least 1 inch)
- EXPO Dry Erase Markers
- Colored Pencils
- Glue Sticks or White Glue
- Hand Sanitizer
D-B EXCEL Student Norms
Students will report to school on time and prepared for the school day.
Students will bring fully charged laptops and a laptop charger every day.
Students will follow their schedule and report to the appropriate area.
Students will respect the DBE faculty, staff, visitors and other students at all times.
DBE Student Drivers
We have our own parking lot and the entrance and exit is on Roller St.
Students will need to sign up for a parking permit that will need to hang from their rearview mirror at all times (tinyurl.com/DBEparking)
Cars that do not have a car tag will be asked to be moved or will be towed.
If the DBE parking lot is full, there is an overflow public parking lot across the street from the Food City loading dock (On Roller St.)
DBE students/parents can only park in the parking spots marked D-BE/KCS in the DBE parking lot. DBE students/parents cannot park in the Chamber or medical parking lots or they will be towed.
Replacement car tags will be $10.
DBE Car Riders
Students may be dropped of at DBE beginning at 7:15am. Students arriving after 7:45am will be counted tardy.
Please follow the traffic pattern. When you enter the DBE parking lot, please take an immediate right and circle the lot in that direction.
- Car riders will be dismissed after the bus leaves (Approximately 2:35pm)
- Students may be picked up in the DBE parking lot or on Roller Street. Students are not allowed to be picked up in other parking lots.
DBE Bus Riders
Bus riders will board their normal bus in the morning and then board the DBE bus at DB.
The DBE bus will arrive at DBE about 7:30am.
Bus riders will be dismissed at the 2:30pm bell.
- The bus will take students to the D-B main campus where they will then board their bus to take them home.
- If you have questions or concerns about bus transportation, please contact the KCS Transportation Office or CLICK HERE to visit their website.
Kingsport City Schools Transportation Department
Ph: (423) 392.4670
Fax: (423) 245.1346
Kingsport Area Transit Service
DBE Parent Advisory Committee
We encourage parents to be involved at D-B EXCEL! We would love your input for the upcoming school year and events that we want to host for our students.
The purpose of the D-B EXCEL Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) is to bring parents and staff together to accomplish goals that will enhance our school for the benefit of the children’s needs and to build on relationships.
Some goals of the PAC are:
- Increase parent involvement
- Increase communication
- Plan family activities for the year
- Stay up to date on the operations of DBE
- Share ideas and suggestions
- Help organize and facilitate Parent Academies throughout the year
- Have a parent representative for each class
If you are interested in participating in the PAC this school year, please CLICK HERE to fill out the form. If you have any questions regarding the PAC, please contact Mrs. Hensley at email@example.com or at 423-378-2185.
What you need to know to prepare for success in all of your classes...
The Math Department:
Our focus for class time is critical thinking and support. We try to give student sufficient time for practicing skills in class however, it is expected that student complete some assignments independently. We want all students to feel supported and prepared. Therefore, we offer Math Tutoring after school every Tuesday and Thursday to provide students with every opportunity to receive the individualize support they may need.
We ask students to come with a positive attitude! In addition to a positive mindset, we ask the students have a few basic materials that will be required in all math courses here at DBE:
TI-84 calculator (any model)
Paper (wide or college)
We understand if a few of these items may be difficult to acquire, but we highly encourage that student invest in these materials. These will be used for all math courses in their high school career. Above all, we are very excited to have each and every student in class!
The Social Studies Department:
The History Department at DBE consists of a multitude of classes including: United States History, World History, Ancient History, Personal Finance, Economics, Government, and World Geography. These classes are taught by Mr. Jay Conkin and Mr. Brandon Lewis. These classes are run much like college courses, modules or units are releases on Mondays and students can work at their own pace throughout the week on these assignments, Fridays usually consist of assessments, and all module assignments will be due that following Monday. These courses focus on using technology, traditional teaching methods ,and a wide variety of engaging projects so students can not only retain this information but utilize the information learned in class and apply it to the real world.
The Science Department:
DBE science department consists of Ms. Antonia Adnolfi and Mrs. Amanda Dunham. The courses include Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, Environmental Science, and Introduction to Engineering (PLTW). Each course will require the same level of commitment from you as a traditional classroom course. As a student, you are expected to complete the following:
- Read announcements each day
- Keep up with your science notebook
- Spend approximately seven hours per week on coursework
- Apply and extend personal best in each lesson
- Follow all lab safety rules and procedures
- Attempt all assigned work including warm-ups, assignments, quizzes, tests, and cumulative projects
- Composition book
- Ear buds
The English Department:
Each course will require the same level of commitment from you as a traditional classroom course. As a student, you are expected to complete the following:
Read announcements each day
Keep an independent book with you at all times
Spend approximately seven hours per week on coursework
Apply and extend personal best in each lesson
Attempt all assigned work including warm-ups, assignments, quizzes, tests, and cumulative projects
The Digital Arts Department:
Digital Arts plays a very important role in your education at D-B EXCEL because you will use these skills in PBL. During this course, you will learn how to effectively use softwares; Autodesk Fusion 360, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Premiere Pro.
- Students must be present to work on coursework in the Makerspace.
- Every student is asked to have a sketchbook to complete daily sketchbook assignments.
- General coursework is published Mondays and is due the following Monday.
ELECTRONIC PAYMENTS FOR SCHOOL MEALS
The meal pre-payment website for Kingsport City School Nutrition Services Department is now available. Please visit MyPayments Plus! to check low balances, monitor purchases, and deposit funds via bank account or credit card.
There is a 4.75% fee per transaction. If you have not used this service before, you will be required to set up an account. Call (423) 378.2113 to receive your student’s ID number (required when setting up your account and different from the student pin number used at school), email Andria Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the school cafeteria. There is no charge or account deposit required to monitor purchases, check balances, or receive low balance notices via email.
Parents may still deposit money into their students account by sending cash or a check to school. Checks should be made out to the school cafeteria name. For example, parents of students at Dobyns-Bennett High School will write checks to D-B Cafeteria and include their students pin number on the check's memo line.
FEDERAL FREE/REDUCED MEAL APPLICATIONS
To apply for free or reduced school meals, download the forms below. Completed applications can be faxed to (423) 378.2109 or can be turned in to your child’s school cafeteria/office or brought to School Nutrition Services Department at 400 Clinchfield Street, Suite 200, Kingsport, TN 37660.
You can now apply online by clicking here. OneSource Online Instant Processor application entry makes it easy and convenient to apply for meal benefits for your child(ren). Simply enter the requested information as accurately as possible, and all data will be instantly and securely sent to your child(ren)sschool district for processing. Start your family's meal benefits sooner by entering your information now!
Please contact Andria Ball, SNS Bookkeeper/Office Assistant at (423) 378.2113 or email@example.com with questions regarding meal prices, payments and/or free/reduced meals.
D-B EXCEL Open House
Thursday, Aug. 16th, 5:30pm
400 Clinchfield Street
Parents & families are invited to come to DBE to:
- Learn how to effectively use their Canvas Parent Accounts
- Learn what each content area is covering this 9 weeks and what is expected of their student
- Ask faculty questions about courses and/or support for their student.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.