Oakdale Elementary's Monthly Newsletter | November 2022
No School for Students
3rd & 4th Music Program
Join us on Tuesday, November 8th, at the Westside Middle School Performing Arts Center to see our 3rd and 4th grade music program, The Day the Crayons Quit, by Drew Daywalt. The performance starts at 7:00 pm and all are welcome to attend.
For the 3rd & 4th grade performers:
- Please dress nicely, but also "colorful."
- Arrive between 6:45-6:50 (another performance is taking place before ours)
- Students are asked to remain seated with their families in the auditorium seats until invited to come up on stage
Veterans Day Celebration
Please join us in honoring our Oakdale Community Veterans this Veterans Day with a reverse Veterans Day Parade on Friday, November 11th from 10:30-10:45 am. Please invite your family members, neighbors, and friends who are past and current service men and women of all branches of our Armed Services to join us on this special day. Our students and staff will be lining the Oakdale drop off and pick up lane to welcome our honorees as they drive through our cue.
On this day all members of the Oakdale Community of Learners will be wearing red, white, and blue. Please talk with your Tiger about the veterans who may be in your family or circle of friends to invite them to our special event! Our 2nd grade students hand wrote thank you notes to the veterans whose names were submitted on the survey link from a previous email. They should receive those notes next week.
* In case of inclement weather, we will send an email and text message by 9:00 am to alert families that the event will be cancelled.
6th Annual Turkey Trot
Please see the flyer below for information regarding this year's Trot. We are again allowing parent visitors this year as it is an outdoor event. However, please be cognizant that there will be NO PARKING on property during the event. We utilize part of our drop off lane and parking lot for the race. Additionally, the race lasts just a short time and students will be returning to their classrooms for instruction the remainder of the day.
However, if you would still like to view your student's grade level race, please park in the church parking lot or in the neighborhood and view the race from the soccer field. Be on the lookout for our Turkey mascot getting the students ready to Trot to victory!
NEW - Teacher Feature!
- Position: 3rd Grade Teacher
- Years at Oakdale: 17 years
- Years in Education: 24 years
- What would students be surprised to find out about you? I love to ride my scooter and pretend I am in Italy.
- What is one of your hidden talents? I ran a marathon and several half marathons.
- What is your dream vacation? South America to see Machu Picchu.
- Position: Special Education EA
- Years at Oakdale: 1.5 years
- Years in Education: 24 years
- What would students be surprised to find out about you? Since 2019, I have completed 82 puzzles.
- What is one of your hidden talents? I have gone bike riding over 50 miles.
- What is your dream vacation? Going to Africa to see the animals.
- Position: Health Assistant
- Years at Oakdale: 5 years
- Years in Education: 5 years
- What would students be surprised to find out about you? I enjoy anything related to house plants, landscaping plants, and my deep love for my garden. I enjoy all the rewards of the garden harvest and all the food it provides for my family. I also enjoy sharing with my Oakdale Family. Someday I dream to live outside of the city so I can have a bigger garden and be able to have a few farm animals.
- What is one of your hidden talents? I love using power tools. My new build was a garden station for all my planting!
- What is your dream vacation? I would love to explore China. The culture has always been so interesting to me.
See the flyer below to learn more about the next Community Walk at the Jewish Federation of Omaha. All are welcome to attend (family, friends, etc.). It is a self-guided tour and visitors can stay for ten minutes or even an hour. Pre-registration is requested.
As an elementary incentive, the top 3 classes who have students represented will receive a treat (when they enter the building, they will identify the school/teacher with which they are affiliated).
**ANY elementary student who attends will also receive something special from one of our WE-SIDE coordinators, Brittany Bolkovac.
Click HERE to register to attend the event.
Monthly High 5 Drawing
For the November drawing, each student chosen will be able to record a special "First Snow Day of the Year" video announcement that will be sent to all Oakdale families. Keep showing respectful, responsible, safe, and kind behavior to earn those high 5's!
Sensory Stations Unified Event
Oakdale Year-at-a-Glance Calendar
Linked you will find our year long Oakdale Calendar. Please know that this calendar is subject to change. We encourage you to access our Oakdale Calendar through our Website, the Westside Community Schools App, and to subscribe so that this information shows right up on your own calendar for iPhone, iPad, Mac, or any other Google Calendar subscribable platform.
5 Sensory Stations Unified Event, 10:00 Oakdale
8 Picture Retakes, morning ONLY
8 WE-SIDE Community Walk, 4:00 The Jewish Federation
8 Grades 3 & 4 Music Program, 7:00 WMS
10 Unified/PBIS Student Council Meeting, 3:30
10 Don & Millie's Night
11 Veteran's Day Reverse Parade, 10:30
12 Westside Fall Craft Show, 9:00 WHS
17 Unified/PBIS Student Council Meeting, 3:30
18 6th Annual Turkey Trot
23-25 NO SCHOOL, Thanksgiving Break
1 Unified/PBIS Student Council Meeting, 3:30
1 PIckleman's Restaurant Night, 4:00 114 & Dodge
5 District 6th Grade Strings Concert, 7:00 WHS
6 5th & 6th Grade Music Program, 7:00 WMS
8 Don & Millie's Night
8 Virtual Hour of Code
12 5th & 6th Grade Band Concert, 7:00 WMS
15 Unified/PBIS Student Council Meeting, 3:30
22 -Jan 4 NO SCHOOL, Winter Break
Emotional Well Being
We know it is important to consider both the physical and social-emotional wellbeing of our students, families, and staff. We continue to be committed to providing regular instruction and support for studying in managing thoughts and feelings.
If your child is experiencing particular difficulties (whether related to the pandemic or other life circumstances) and you would like to explore options for additional support we encourage you to contact our School Psychologist, Mrs. McPadden (firstname.lastname@example.org) who can help in coordinating additional support and resources.
Community Club Information
Community Club Website and Family Directory
This year you can gain FREE access to the family directory! So make sure to confirm or update your info on the Oakdale Community Club website details to get FREE access to the directory! Easily get contact info for birthday parties and playdates. See these helpful instructions for website assistance.
Oakdale Elementary School
- Be Safe
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- (Be Kind)