Miss Krueger's Newsletter
5/4/15 (May the Fourth Be With You!) - 5/11/15
Notes from Miss Krueger
- MILESTONE TESTING IS OVER IN THE BUILDING! There are no more standardized testing days that will affect our schedule, so as far as we know, you are welcome to join your child for lunch again! I know that they have genuinely missed you guys these past two weeks! The only remaining tests are Special Areas SPG Tests (Music, Art, and PE) which they will complete this week during specials time!
- This week is the LAST required week for homework! After this week, any homework EXCEPT FOR READING LOGS will be optional. What is posted will more than likely consist of review games and activities from throughout the year. :)
- We are so close to our compliment goal! If you remember, when we came back from winter break, we learned about the Japanese tradition of the Daruma Doll. The kids filled the left eye of the Daruma Doll with the goal to receive 100 compliments from other teachers by the end of the school year. As a true testament to their hard work, this morning, they have 94 compliments! AWESOME JOB! I could not be more proud of them! They are only 6 away from being able to fill in the right eye of the doll to signify that they have reached their goal! I have no doubt that by the end of this week, they will be picking their prize! :D
Dates to Note:
- Friday, May 8th, is our class "Museum Day". We have been working for the past few weeks to construct dioramas of the life cycle of whichever animal was chosen by each child. They have also written a non-fiction BOOK about their chosen animal as well! This day will be for them to "curate" their projects and talk about all they have learned about their animal through their research! Feel free to join us on Friday from 9:30 AM-10:00 AM. This presentation day will count as a test grade for their science grade book, and I encourage you to ask questions while you walk through the projects! They are confident in their knowledge of their animals, and they are excited to share what they know! We will also be having visitors from other classes throughout the day, so they are sure to benefit from having mom and dad here first thing in the morning as their first guests! Feel free to have them dress up for their Museum Day or not! They are going to have the opportunity to show that they are experts in their field of research! :)
- Friday, May 8th- Last Day to Turn in Overdue Books
- Wednesday, May 13th - Field Day - Our field day will take place next Wednesday!
- Monday, May 18th - Awards Day - Our time will be from 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM. In the next week or so, you will be hearing from me whether or not your child will be getting an award. :)
- Thursday, May 21 - Last Day of School - It's crazy! I can't believe we are already that close!
Things to Look Forward to This Week:
Science: Life Cycles (Continued)Reading: Character Traits (Preview of third grade standard)
Math: Review of Fourth Nine Weeks AKS
Read Aloud: The Witches by Roald Dahl
Word Work: -ly Words (surely, madly, quickly, newly, loudly, arcuately, suddendly, quietly, perfectly)
Grammar: Compound and Complex Sentences
Mentor Sentence: It's a favorite of mine, but I don't think Bob has ever heard it.
Writing: Unguided Narrative Work Week!
Final Math Test: Friday, May 8th
- Addition and Subtraction of 3-digit numbers
- Counting change and making change
- 2D/3D Shapes (Faces, Edges, Vertices, Sides, Angles, Properties of shapes)
- Arrays (Rows, Columns, Representing and array with repeated addition)