By Grace Trost
- Every African village has a griot, a griot is a story-teller.
- He memorizes every family's history dating back to centuries and centuries ago.
- Griots can also be recognized as entertainers and historians.
- They are very wise and esteemed people of their village and everyone looks up to them.
- This great oral tradition is best-known in West Africa, but is in many different parts of Africa as well.
- The earliest form of African art is cave paintings. It is pictures of people hunting, dancing, and doing chores.
- Every piece of art has a certain meaning, religious or use.
- To celebrate African beliefs they made their famous masks and statues made of wood.
- All the statues also stood for a certain belief or religion.