Wind Symphony - Camp Week Updates!
August 8, 2021
Welcome & Updates
We are SO excited to see students again this week and begin making music together. Below are some important updates & reminders about camp this week and the school year:
1. Camp Info - Where to Enter, What to Bring, Etc..
2. Band - COVID Mitigation
3. Supplies for Band
4. Uniform Fitting Dates
5. And a few more....
If you missed the last newsletter you can find it on our Wind Symphony website: https://www.spbb.org/chums-wind-symphony.html
**WIND SYMPHONY CAMP INFO**
Time & Dates (all at Cardinal Heights)
- Tuesday August 10, 1 - 4pm
- Wednesday August 11, 1 - 4pm
- Thursday August 12, 1 - 4pm
- Cardinal Heights in under renovation. It is important students stay in assigned areas and look out for construction workers & materials.
Drop-off & Entrance/Exit:
- Please use the FRONT of Cardinal Heights
- Students enter through Door #31 (to the LEFT of main entrance, will be marked)
- Doors will be open from 12:45 - 1pm
- If students arrive late, please go to Main Office & ring door bell
What to bring:
- See supply list below (do your best, if you don't have everything yet - it's okay!)
- Instrument & Supplies (*if you a school-owned bassoon, horn, tenor sax, bari sax, euphonium, or tuba - just bring your mouthpiece & supplies).
- Face Mask
- Be prepared to be outside for parts of the rehearsal
COVID Mitigation for Band - Fall 2021
- Students must wear Face Masks at all times (unless playing their instrument w/ bell cover)
- Bell covers will be used for all wind instruments (school provided)
- We will only play indoors for a maximum of 50 minutes at one time, then we will change rooms and/or go outside to allow for three air exchanges
- Students will be spaced at least 3 ft. apart
- Students will hand-sanitize regularly
ANY QUESTIONS? Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions, concerns, or ideas.
Wind Symphony Supplies List
- 1" Binder
- Sharpened Pencils
- Working Instrument
- Reeds, Oils & Greases, Swabs, Mouthpiece, etc... see our recommended supplies here. *Percussion - take note of stick & mallet updates on pg. 2
Highly Recommended Supplies:
- Tonal Energy Tuner App (if student has phone/tablet)
- Colored Pencils and/or Highlighters
IMPORTANT DATES, 2020 - 2021
Cardinal Heights Band Calendar 2021 - 2022
Please see linked tentative schedule above,. Please note that underlined dates are specific to Wind Symphony. Please communicate in as much advance as possible with any conflicts.
*note updates regarding uniform fittings
- August 10-12, Wind Symphony “Band Camp”, 1 - 4pm
August 16, Music Uniform Fitting, 2 - 6pm (Cardinal Heights Open House)
August 17, Music Uniform Fitting, 4:30pm - 7:30pm (part of Cardinal Heights Open House)
October 15, Wind Symphony & 9th Grade Band “Lock-In”, 4 - 9pm
October 18, Band Concert - all bands at Cardinal Heights, 9th Grade & Wind Symphony, 8pm (arrive 7:30pm)
November 13, Optional - Sun Prairie Honors Band (7th/8th Grade only), all day
SUN PRAIRIE HONORS BAND - Audition Information (8th grade only)
While there is not a rush to start, we did want to let you know that timelines and audition etudes are updated on our website. Students can start practicing if they want something to work on, but no pressure to start now.
Etudes can be found on the website:
- October 1 - registration opens
- October 13 - audition recordings due
- October 18 - performers selected & music emailed
- November 13 - Event Day!
Band Lesson Academy - Resuming Fall 2022
In the past, many students and families have found value in taking private lessons with amazing professionals on their instrument. Good news - those teachers come right to Cardinal Heights after school on Tuesday! We'll be resuming this program this year - read below for more info.
About the Sun Prairie Band Boosters Lesson Academy
The Sun Prairie Band Booster Lesson Academy has been created to provide convenient access to quality private instrument instruction for students in the Sun Prairie Band Program. The program is designed to give students access to one-on-one instruction on their instrument with professional musicians/teachers that specialize on specific instruments. Students will focus on fundamental skills that are particular to his or her instrument.
The benefits of private instrument instruction include; accelerated study of instrument technique and repertoire, preparation of audition materials, or study of subjects of particular interested (e.g. solo literature or improvisation). Private study is a powerful tool in supporting musical growth in students. This program is organized by the Sun Prairie Band Boosters as a service to band students in Sun Prairie Schools.
The Sun Prairie Band Booster Lesson Academy is designed to serve those students not currently studying privately. It is not designed to take students away from local teachers not in the Sun Prairie Band Booster Lesson Academy and should not be interpreted as a signal to change teachers. There are many fine teachers in the immediate area who offer quality instruction.
When & Where:
- Cardinal Heights Upper Middle School – Tuesdays, 3:00-9:00
Registration & more info coming in August 2021.
REMINDER: Ordering Band Supplies
Visit Ward Brodt's website to order any band supplies you need. Order what you need and then at check out you can choose home delivery or school delivery under the shipping section. If you choose school delivery, your supplies will be delivered to Cardinal Heights and we will make sure you get them. If you are unsure what kind of reeds/valve oil/slide grease to purchase, we have attached a list of recommended supplies here.
SEE YOU SOON!
Thank you! Looking forward to seeing you all soon. Stay in touch and stay safe!
Band Director, Cardinal Heights