OCTOBER 16, 2020
Eagle Academy encourages academic excellence by integrating proven instructional methods with a challenging curriculum and high expectations.This combination provides every child with the foundation needed to achieve proficiency of Eagle Academy’s performance standards at each instructional level.
Previous editions of the Eagle Express can be found on the Newsletter page on our school website
- October 19 - First day of instruction for 2nd Qtr.
- October 23 - Food Drive Fridays
- October 23 - Homework Drop Off and Materials Packet Pick up
- October 23 - Inservice/Training - No school for students
- October 30 - Virtual Halloween Costume Party - Time TBD
- October 30 - Homework Drop Off and Materials Packet Pick up
- November 16 - Tentative First Day of in-person instruction for K-2 students
More information about these events appear further down in the newsletter. You can also visit the News & Events section of our website homepage. (https://www.asdk12.org/eagleacademycharter)
EACS ONLINE WILL STILL BE AN OPTION
With the Superintendent's announcement yesterday that the District plans on resuming in person instruction for our youngest students (Kindergarten - 2nd grade), I wanted to share with you some of the things Eagle Academy has been doing to prepare our building in anticipation of your child's return.
- All classrooms desks have been arranged to achieve the greatest distance possible (3'ft between student seats) for classes with 25-26 students. Due to the square footage of our rooms, we are not able to distance student seats 6'ft apart. Please keep this in mind as students will be spending the majority of their time at school in their classroom (including lunch).
- All classrooms and common areas have touch-less hand sanitizing dispensers located at entrances. We also have disinfecting materials for teachers and staff to use to sanitize high touch surfaces throughout the day.
- Hallways have stickers to help remind students and staff to social distance when in common areas.
- Classrooms will stagger restroom breaks throughout the day to minimize contact with students outside their classroom pods while inside the building. Both a T.A. or classroom teacher will help monitor students during restroom breaks to facilitate and encourage social distancing and hand washing.
- Recess will be outdoors as usual. We will follow all our normal procedures and protocols for walking to and from the playground. Students will be expected to wear masks at all times. Students will be allowed to use permanent playground equipment however we will not be distributing balls, hula hoops, jump ropes, etc. It will be a great opportunity to use their creative minds.
- All water fountains have safety caps preventing their use use. Students are encouraged to bring a re-useable water bottle from home (labeled with their first and last name). These will be kept at their desks and can be refilled at our Elkay EZH20 bottle filling station.
The health and safety of all our students and staff is our first priority. We realize that some of our families may wish to continue with EACS Online due to unique personal circumstances.
Please note: Teachers will not be able to pre-record and post their instructional videos as they have been doing. EACS Online students will have the option of Zooming in to class during the school day, following the published daily schedule. Teachers will also record their daily instruction and post the videos after school for students to view if they are unable to attend the instructional sessions during the school day.
If you will be electing to keep your student at home and continue to utilize the EACS Online, please email Principal Carroll: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the name(s) and grade(s) of your student(s) as soon as possible. We are asking that students do either in-person or EACS Online for the duration of the remainder of the school year.
Deanne Carroll - Principal
Fridays in October
For the next few weeks our school will be collecting canned goods and dry goods to donate to the local food bank. Our food drive will help hungry families in our community. Community food drives like this help make sure those children and their families can get emergency food assistance when they need it.
We know that this is a challenging time for everyone. Please, only consider giving if you can.
Receptacles will be set up outside the school on Fridays during our homework drop off and materials packet pick up for your convenience.
We will be doing a PIE-in-the-FACE for the class that collects the most items. Teachers are you ready?
Every donation helps, and together we hope our combined donations will make a real difference for those in need. The food bank is asking for nutritious canned and dry goods. Below is a .pdf of some suggestions:
REQUEST TO FAMILIES
In accordance with Anchorage School District protocols, Eagle Academy will not be screening all students upon entry to the building. We will instead implement the honor system and rely on families to do a daily home screening check in the morning before departing for school.
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of reported symptoms – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to SARS-CoV-2. Symptoms can include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
This list does not include all possible symptoms and children and youth with SARS-CoV-2 infection may experience any, all, or none of these symptoms. (See Symptoms of Coronavirus for more information).
Given the wide range of symptoms and the fact that some people with SARS-CoV-2 infection (the virus that causes COVID-19) are asymptomatic, there are limitations to symptom screening conducted by schools for the identification of COVID-19.
Eagle Academy is asking for your help in self-monitoring. We are counting on everyone in our school community to look after each other and not unnecessarily risk the health and safety of our students, teachers, staff, and family members at home.
If your child displays any of these symptoms please do not send them to school. If a student begins to display symptoms consistent with COVID 19/SARS-CoV-2 while they are in school, Nurse Jan will screen the student. Parents may be requested to pick your student up from school and quarantine the student at home for 10 days or until a negative COVID test result is confirmed.
Please see the attached Daily Home Screening Checklist below.
In an attempt to minimize the time students spend in large groups outside their classroom pods, students will be eating lunch in their classrooms (not in the lunchroom).
We are requesting you send your student with a healthy snack to enjoy during the morning break as well as pack items that do not need to be microwaved. Microwaves will not be available to heat up meals. If you would like to send something warm, please pack it in a thermos or insulated container.
- Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade will have lunch from 12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Preliminary data indicate that the risk of transmission of COVID is lessened while participating in outdoor activities, due to airflow. We will continue to encourage and maintain social distancing (as much as possible) and require students to wear their masks during recess.
Experience has shown us that EACS students are able to wear masks while playing on the playground. Most, if not all of our students, across all grade levels, happily wear masks during the winter months during recess without complaint or adverse effect.
- Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade will have recess from 12:30 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The open seats for APB this election are C, E, F, and G.
Please see the attached letter for additional information about the open seats. Please contact any of the current APB members with any questions. Current APB members are listed at the bottom of the newsletter. If you are interested in applying, please fill out the application attached below.
TA Job Description
Teacher assistants work closely with teachers and students in the classroom. They support teachers’ lesson plans, and activities, prep materials, grade papers, supervise drop off, lunch, recess, after school pick up, and provide instructional support to students.
This position is 5.5 hrs (8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.)
If you are interested or know of someone who is please fill out an electronic application on the ASD's Applitrak website (job # 6716)
Save the Dates: November 4, 2020 OR November 13, 2020
- If school has returned to in-person instruction, picture day will be on Wednesday, Nov. 4.
- If we are still learning at home online, we will have a "drive up" picture day on Friday, Nov. 13.
Our Lifetouch rep is meeting with ASD this week to find out what precautions and safety measures will need to be taken to keep all our students, staff, and families safe and healthy. We will not be doing class pictures at this time, but hopefully we can do them in the Spring.
More specific information with be shared as it becomes available.
WHO WANTS THAT TROPHY FOR THEIR CLASSROOM???
See attached flyer for more information about fundraisers for our school.
Don't forget to turn in you unexpired BoxTop clippings and Coca-cola rewards codes at material drop off at school on Fridays. Please put them in a baggie and label it with the grade so it will be counted towards the classroom contest!!
LAST DAY to turn in box tops and coke rewards for 1st quarter contest is October 23 Any questions please contact Alysia Thayer at Alysia.email@example.com.
EAGLE ACADEMY APB
Vanessa Hall - APB Chair: (907) 230-6365
Missy Timberlake - APB Teacher: (907) 301-8653
Mindy Edison - APB Teacher: (907) 223-7774
Jennifer Bundy - APB Parent Member: (907) 884-5008
Casey Andrysiak - APB Parent Member: (512) 576-6258
Paige Saylor - APB Parent Member: (843) 437-5783
Vacant - APB Community Member
Eagle Academy PTO
Tonya Prentiss - Chair: (719) 213-5678
Beth Sherwood - Co-Vice-Chair: (907) 362-3499
Vanessa Hall - Co-Treasurer: (907) 230-6365
Amie Mitchell - Co-Treasurer: (907) 830-1604
Haley Gagnon - Secretary: (907) 310-6690
Heather Milligan - Parent Rep: (774) 254-1238
Mindy Edison - Teacher Rep (907) 223-7774