EDITION #32 - WEEK OF APRIL 6, 2020
LETTER TO FAMILIES FROM SUPERINTENDENT MOAN
April 2, 2020
Dear District 200 Elementary School Families:
I would like to again thank you for your support and patience during this difficult time for all of us. As you may be aware, Governor Pritzker has extended our school closure through April 30.
This week we have continued our eLearning instruction, and we are thrilled to see our teachers and students engaging with each other. We will continue developing our eLearning plans in the coming weeks, and we appreciate the efforts from our students and our parents to stay active in education.
At this point the State of Illinois has cancelled all state assessments for this year. Elementary school students will not be taking the Illinois Assessment of Readiness or the Illinois Science Assessment. Our grading plan for eLearning is provided below.
Grading System for Elementary Students
The Illinois State Board of Education has ordered that “students will not be required to master and will not be penalized for failure to master new content;” while this eLearning plan is in place.
At the elementary level students are assigned completion scores towards essential standards in reading, writing and math during our remote learning and will receive a third trimester report on work towards these standards.
For the third trimester, students will receive a P for Passing a standard or I for an Incomplete educational experience with the standard. Any students who are unable to complete work in the third trimester due to our remote learning will receive an Incomplete. At the end of the trimester, students will have eight weeks to complete work to turn the Incomplete into a passing grade.
REGISTER NOW FOR 2020 - 2021
REGISTRATION IS OPEN
Please take some time this week to register your child for the 2020-2021 School year. If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Lisa Furst at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will be happy to help you.
COMMUNITY ACCESS TO SERVICES - WOODSTOCK PUBLIC LIBRARY
The library is offering:
Parking Lot WiFi: The library's wifi signal has been extended into the parking lot allowing anyone to be online from the safe distance of their own vehicle
Food Pantry: There are two bins of food and a bin for diapers, toiletries, etc in front the of the library's front doors. Anyone is welcome to take what they need, donate what they can.
Free e-books, audiobooks, magazines: Thousands of ebooks and audiobooks are available via the library's website Download page. All that is needed to access is a Woodstock library card. If a family was unable to get a library card before the library closed, an e-resource card can be applied for on the library's website. E-Resource Application
Databases: Ancestry.com, Newspapers.com, New York Times, Transparent Language Online, Chilton Auto Repair Library, and a lot more e-resources are all available on the library's Databases page. Easily accessed with a WPL card or e-resource card.
Online Storytimes: Ms Pamela, the children's librarian is posting storytimes a couple times of week. They are available on the library's YouTube channel and Facebook. Spanish storytimes are being posted by the library's guest storyteller Ms Janet on Monday nights on Facebook Live.
BREAKFAST/LUNCH DURING E-LEARNING
Families may drive through or walk up to Olson Elementary School and Verda Dierzen Early Learning Center between 9am and noon on Monday - Friday. They will receive both breakfast and lunch at this time.
- Olson Elementary - Monday-Friday from 9 a.m - noon.
- Verda Dierzen Early Learning Center - Monday-Friday from 9 a.m - noon.
In addition, breakfast/lunches will be available for families to pick up according to the following schedule at these locations:
- Mapletree Apartments 10:30 - 10:50 am (Infront of the office building)
- Willow Brooke Apartments 10:30 - 10:50 am (Back entrance, near the bus stop)
- Autumnwood Apartments 11:10 - 11:30 am ( South parking lot next to the Building 717)
- Woodstock Commons 11:10 - 11:30 am (Front entrance to the right of the Leasing Office)
- Prairie View Apartments 11:50 - 12:10 pm (Parking lot next to the Rental Office)
- Walden Oaks Apartments 11:50 - 12:10 pm (Picnic area near the pond)
- Greenwood School 12:45 - 1:30 pm (School parking lot)
eLEARNING AT OLSON
- Our first concern is the health and safety of the Woodstock community, our families, students, and staff. Please continue to observe safety precautions.
- Daily lesson plans are shared by the teachers at 7:30am each day through Class Dojo and/or by email
- All daily plans are also available on the Olson website
- Watch for a daily "Morning Message" - these will also be added to the Daily Plans
- Contact the Tech Dept with any issues with devices email@example.com
- Students have many opportunities to participate in eLearning activities - please encourage them to complete assignments as directed
- In addition to the instructional and planning time with eLearning, teachers have provided the times they are available to respond to student/parent questions. We ask that you allow them time to care for their families, too.
IAR Testing for 3rd, 4th, and 5th Graders and all other standardized testing has been cancelled for spring of 2020.
April 10 - No School
April 30 - At this time, this is the end date of the Governor's "Shelter in Place" and School Closure mandate - We will continue to share information with families.