Pine Ridge Weekly
I sincerely hope you are well!
At times like these, priorities are easy to determine: staying healthy! We know we are continuing to provide updates and learning opportunities but this is in service to supporting our Rangers. None of this is more important than the health of our community! Thanks for doing what makes sense for your family. We appreciate you!
We have many medical and first responders in our Ranger Family. THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO!
- Birthday cards are coming early and late. March cards are on the way. I was not sure if I was going to do them, but decided that I would. :) There are a few that caught in this transition. My apologies! When you get the April cards, put them away until the correct day!
- Be on the lookout for my next video and picture collage from all wonderful pictures sent in. Stay tuned!
- See all of Specials Teacher's information below. I will send them with my updates going forward.
- Ranger Strong Song below. Start practicing Rangers!
- M-STEP & Testing - The federal government announced it is suspending the requirement for states to do annual testing. We believe that Michigan will suspend all M-STEP and MME testing. The state pays for all juniors to take the SAT. Details are still in the works regarding this provision connected to a later testing date. Stay tuned for more info to come.
- Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!
I miss my Ranger Friends! Please give hugs and high fives for me. :)
Hang in there!
Great Resource for Routines!
- Stay at Home - Stay Safe Order - The State of Michigan issued an order directing all residents to stay in their homes unless they’re a part of the critical infrastructure workforce, engaged in an outdoor activity, or performing tasks necessary to the health and safety of themselves or their family, like going to the hospital or grocery store. This order begins on March 24, 2020, at 12:01 a.m., and extends through April 13, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. Schools will remain closed at least through this date.
- Technology Devices - A huge thank you to our Technology Department staff, nearly 500 families have reserved an FHPS Chromebook device for use at home during the school closure period. Final distribution will take place on Tuesday, March 24.
- Internet Content Filtering - The district has implemented technology protection measures and content filtering on all student Google accounts both on campus and off-site when using a Chromebook device. The additional measures will ensure that anywhere students are logged in with their school Google accounts they will be protected as required under the guidelines of the Children's Internet Project Act. Disclaimer: While Forest Hills Public Schools use technology protection measures to limit access to material considered harmful or inappropriate to students, it may not be possible for the district to absolutely prevent such access. Despite our best efforts and beyond the limits of filtering technology, a student may run across some material that is objectionable. FHPS has a three-layer approach when students are using the internet. The device is automatically routed through the FHPS filter for appropriate content. The second layer is the monitoring of the student use by an adult. The third layer is the student using digital responsibility.
Let's learn the Ranger Strong Song!
We will have a Central sing-along! Details coming soon! Start practicing. :)
Kindergarten Kick-Off POSTPONED
I miss you all like crazy but I have enjoyed seeing all the photos of art and artists! I am going to be uploading a few more videos to youtube this week, but here is one to start things off. Positive Poster
You are amazing and I cannot wait to see what you create this week!
It's been wonderful to see all of the photos of our students reading! If your children want to continue participating in the library's Reading Rangers program during this time at home, I encourage them to do so. Attached please find blank copies of the Reading Rangers cards. Remember the Junior Reading Rangers program is for kindergarten and 1st grade, while the Reading Rangers program is for 2nd-4th grades. Just scan/take a picture of the completed form and send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will keep track of prizes earned and hand those out once we're back in school. I will make video announcements in place of our traditional announcements done in school for students finishing 4 or more rows on their boards. (Junior Reading Rangers: The March challenges are to read a fairy tale, and read a book about nature.)
Here is the last book in our March Madness book competition, Are Your Stars Like My Stars? Watch to see which book from the first round is advancing to the finals! After you share this video with your child, please have them use the Google voting form to choose their 2nd round favorite. The 2nd round voting deadline is midnight on Friday, March 27.
In case you want another story to listen to, here's Saturday by Oge Mora. My thought was you could spread out the stories and show this one to your children a little later in the week.
Music - Mr. Mainero
PE - Mrs. Korhorn
Spanish Class - Mrs. Saladin
Hola Familias de PR,
I am sure you are all busy readying and doing math :) but if you want to have some more fun, please check out the websites I have included. On Rockalingua, there are many free things, you do not have to purchase a subscription. And the other website is awesome as well. Some activities will be too advanced but you might find something you love. :) Have fun!!
Con mucho cariño (affection),
Counselor's Corner - Mrs. Wittland
March 23, 2020
Hello, Pine Ridge Students and Families,
I miss seeing you all at school! I hope that you are all well and taking good care of each other.
While we are out of school, I will send you a weekly note to help me stay connected to you and to let you know that I am thinking of each of you. Every week, I will share information on a topic that will be helpful to focus on during this unusual time. My focus for this week is:
Our Pine Ridge students know so many ways to be kind. I am regularly impressed by you all! I am also so impressed by how people in our community are showing kindness to each other during these challenging days. Look around your home and neighborhood to see if you see signs of kindness spreading. I am asking you to do two things this week:
Find a way to spread kindness around your home each day. You could do this by helping a family member, listening, helping to clean things up around the house, making a card for someone who can’t leave their home or write a kind message with chalk on your driveway for your neighbors. I bet that you can come up with many more ideas. I would love to hear about what you are doing to spread kindness. Feel free to send me pictures or your thoughts about spreading kindness. You can email me at email@example.com.
Watch the kindness videos in the button below with your family. These are great videos to discuss and enjoy together.
Always remember your Pride, Respect, and Responsibility my Ranger friends!
Have a kind week!
District Instruction Office: More Instructional Resources
Dear FHPS Families:
We are sharing with you a page located on the district website with links to resources curated to offer high-interest low-stress ideas that families may choose to use with their children, in addition to the learning opportunities they are receiving from their teachers.
The goal is to offer new optional ideas and resources for students and families weekly. Click here to access it. We recommend that you bookmark the site for future access and updates.
Be safe, and stay well.
Forest Hills Public Schools