GLA West Connections
Week of February 18 - February 22
Growing into our Greatness ...Not a Moment to Waste!
Embracing Male Empowerment!
iReady Benchmarks Start this Week
As we sail through the new year, it is time for our next iReady benchmark, the week of Feb. 19th. Your scholar will have the opportunity to demonstrate their growth through this upcoming math and reading assessment. This allows our instructional staff to celebrate growth and identify places for intervention where needed. In order to work with accurate data, we want all scholars to take this benchmark seriously and show what they know.
To help prepare your scholar for the i-Ready Benchmark, encourage them to:
- Get a good night’s sleep and eat a full breakfast the day of the assessment.
- Try their best on each question and try not to rush.
- Try not to worry about questions they do not know—remind them that it is expected they will get about half of the questions correct.
- Be respectful of other students who take longer to finish.
100th day celebration will now be Thursday, 2/21!
Black History Month Showcase
Thursday, Feb. 28th, 2-3:30pm
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
it’s time for nominations!!!
•Must be in the 3rd through 5th grade
•Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
•Scholar demonstrates responsibility, service and leadership.
•Must be in 6th through 8th grade
•Cumulative gpa of 3.0 or better
•Scholar demonstrates leadership, service, good character and citizenship.
If your scholar is currently in 6th grade and in NEHS, and you want them to continue to NJHS, please nominate them to reapply.
Ms. Leggett is only taking electronic nominations for Honor Society. To nominate a scholar/scholars please email her at email@example.com.
We have officially kicked off our countdown to PSSAs!
The PSSA exams are around the corner - 34 days away! This year’s PSSA prep theme, “We Can Do It,” intends to encourage your scholar to work with diligence and confidence on the exam. As partners in your scholar’s learning, we want to share our initiatives alongside ways you can partner in order set your scholar up for success.
“We Can Do It:”
- Do Now Challenge: In order to help your scholar familiarize themselves with question types and content on the PSSA, teachers are integrating a problem each day into the math and ELA block. These are opportunities for scholars to practice and review content.
- Show What You Know Challenge: During Fitness Friday, we are adding a PSSA question portion. Classes will compete for the correct answer alongside physical challenges. This fun activity is a way to build energy and review for the PSSA.
- iReady: Ensure your scholars is getting at-home practice with content by spending 45-minutes per week on iReady math and reading.
- Attendance: Your scholar’s presence at school directly correlates to their success on the PSSA exam. Please ensure your scholar arrives on time daily in order to receive relevant instruction.
- Saturday School: We are hosting a PSSA prep beginning February 3rd to help scholars in need of additional help. Please contact Ms. Snyder at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
- ELA State-Wide Testing (3-8 grade): April 16-18
- Math State-Wide Testing (3-8 grade): April 29-30
- Science State-Wide Testing (4 & 8 grade): May 1-2