Mosaica Online Happenings
September 16-20 2013
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Monday, September 16th: Last day for HS students to begin if they have not already been in school for Semester 1
- Monday, September 16th: Student Enrichment Day
- Tuesday, September 17th: Parent Education @ either 2pm or 8:30 pm EASTERN
- Tuesday, September 24th: Online Paragon Night
- Thursday, September 26th: K-5 Advisement @ 10:00am Eastern
- Friday, September 27th: 6-12 Advisement @ 2:30 pm Eastern
- **Beginning August 28th, all adjunct teachers must submit invoices to Brenda McCullers on the 14th and 28th of the month**
Staff Spotlight- Mark Weinberg
Mark Weinberg joined Mosaica Education in August 2013 as the Head of School for the newly formed Mosaica Online Academy of Michigan as well as the Regional Vice President in Michigan. Before joining Mosaica, Mark was a partner at the National Charter Schools Institute where he focused on efforts to develop tools and support partner organizations in attaining breakthrough performance for students. Previously Mark served for ten years as Director of Academic Performance and Accountability at Central Michigan University’s Center for Charter Schools and prior to this, Mark was the founding Principal and Director of the International Academy of Flint from 1999 to 2002. He has also served as a high school principal at an international school in Germany and has taught in Switzerland and Canada. He holds bachelor’s degrees from the University of Western Ontario and Brock University, and a master’s degree from Central Michigan University. He is also a nationally certified curriculum auditor.
Thank you Mark for leading our newest Mosaica Online school!
Mosaica Online Enrichment Days
Students are going on a water field trip! On this field trip, you’ll learn amazing things about water. You’ll learn about aquifers, how your drinking water gets to you, what other kids have to do around the world to get their water, and ideas for helping to protect this precious resource.
All Science teachers in 6-12 will have students going on a virtual field trip. We will use the Teacher Planet site to have the student learn about the Seven Wonders of the World.
• Students will learn about the natural formations referred to as the "Natural Wonders of the World", and how and where they formed.
• Students will learn both geography and geology.
• Students will be taken to some of the best resources available on the Web where they can research and retrieve all kinds of data about these naturally occuring wonders of nature.
1. Which of the Natural Wonders was/were caused by volcanoes, by erosion?
2. Of the Natural Wonders, which has the most fragile ecosystem?
3. How old are each of the Natural Wonders?
4. How was/is each of the Natural Wonders created?
At the end of the field trip- 6-12 students will submit a one page summary answering the concept questions and submitting their work to the dropbox within their science courses.
Art Club - led by Elizabeth Kamper
Book Club - led by Allie Byrne (ES), & Emily Alley (MS & HS)
Cooking Club - led by Allie Byrne
Enrollment in Clubs will begin this week!
TEACHER TIP OF THE WEEK!
Make sure you are making calls to parents for the students that are failing, not logging in, not doing work, etc. Please make sure that you log all of your communication, even emails and responses back from parents.
Keep working on updating your courses with your content and checklists. Let your ICs know if you need any help or have any questions.
Non Charter Mosaica Online Locations:
We are up to 193 "special" students - those students who are enrolled in one of more classes with Mosaica Online who are not part of our state online charters. Middle and high school teachers, thank you so much for your help in getting these students started this week and last.
Our special students generally do not match our Mosaica Online holiday schedule, so please note days your students will not be in session.
September Holidays for our Special Friends:
- American School Foundation in Mexico City - September 16 - Mexican Independence Day
American School of Puerto Vallarta - September 16 - Mexican Independence Day
- Foundation Academy of Mansfield - September 27 - Professional Development Day
- Arts & Technology Academy of Pontiac - September 27 - Professional Development Day
- Muskegon Heights - September 25 - Professional Development Day
Arts & Technology Academy of Pontiac - September 20th - Early Release
Your student contact information and full school calendars are on your Mosaica Online home page. Paula and Maria are happy to help, when needed so just yell
Quick reminder - Monday morning in Hyderabad is Sunday night ET. Be sure assignments are ready for these students by Sunday afternoon, please.
Online Paragon Nights!