DIARY OF DAWSON SCHOOL
August 21, 2020
Dear Dawson Families,
Over this past week, Mrs. Bischoff and I met with over 150 families via our virtual question and answer chat. We were so happy at the turnout and the thoughtful questions presented to us. We are continuing to make Dawson safe for when the students return. The classrooms have been cleaned, desks are 3 feet apart and all proper signs have been ordered. The signs consist of floor decals for 6 ft. social distance reminders, proper handwashing signs, and signs to remind all people to wear masks.
I will continue to update you every week with information, but at any time. please reach out to me with any questions or concerns. I am here to have you during this time.
Dawson Elementary School Principal
Grade Level Parent Meetings with Mrs. Wallace and Mrs. Bischoff
Dates and Times for Meeting:
August 26 at 10:00 - Grade 3
August 26 at 1:00 - Grade 4
August 27 at 10:00 - Grade 1-5 New Student Orientation
August 27 at 1:00 - Grade 5
September 1 at 7:00- Open to All Grades who could make the meetings
Note: Once Teachers are back in session we will have an official virtual Kindergarten Orientation for parents to meet the teachers!
Frequently Asked Questions
Dawson Parent Frequently Asked Questions
- When will we find out our child’s teacher?
The Powerschool Parent Portal will be opened up on September 9, 2020.
- Where can I find out how to ask for a chrome book loan?
The district sent out an email on 8/19 to all families. Here is the link to the loan program: Chrome Book Loan Link
- Do I have to use a Chrome Book?
No, you do not need to only use a Chrome Book. Any device that has access to the Internet is ok.
- Will there be the option to pick up packets like the Spring?
Yes, we will provide paper packets and materials as needed and requested from families. We want to support you in any way we change during the time.
- What are the platforms students and families using and is there going to be training?
The district has purchased SeeSaw K-2 and Enhanced Google Suite for grades 3-12. In the near future, the district will launch a tech support website for families. This site will contain a collection of resources to help parents and students with the technology products and services in use throughout the district. It will also provide a method for parents to submit questions or report technical problems. We will notify you by email when we bring the website online.
- Will the students be assessed on their current level of academic performance?
The district has purchased Star Math and ELA to help teachers gain a better understanding of where students are in math and ELA. The teachers will assess students formally and informally to address any academic areas of strength and weakness.
- Will attendance be taken every day and are students getting report cards?
Per the Department of Education, the teachers will take attendance on student participation and engagement. Reports will be issued as in previous years. K-1 will have a quarter one progress report, and Grades 2-5 will be issued a report card. All students will be issued a report record quarters 2, 3, and 4.
- Will be able to meet with there teacher in person?
I strongly feel that the students need to meet with their students; however, at this time I do not have a definite answer to this question. I assure you that the teachers will make a connection with you prior to that start of school on 9/16/2020.
- Where can I find information on the Hybrid plan?
Page 32 of the district plan outlines the timeline and Hybrid plan. Here is a link to the plan: http://www.wrsdonline.net/documents/WRSD-Reopening-Plan.pdf
- August 26 at 10:00 - Grade 3 Virtual Parent Meeting
- August 26 at 1:00 - Grade 4 Virtual Parent Meeting
- August 27 at 10:00 - Grade 1-5 New Student Orientation -Virtual Parent Meeting
- August 27 at 1:00 - Grade 5 - Virtual Parent Meeting
- September 1 at 7:00 - All Grades Virtual Parent Meeting
- September 3 from 3:00- 4:00 - Special Kindergarten Welcoming Bag Pick Up
- All kindergarten students will get a special welcoming bag from Dawson! You can come anytime during the hour. We will be outside giving the bags out to families in a safe manner. You do not even need to leave your car!!!
- September 9 - Wachusett Parent Portal Open Ups
- September 16 - Wachusett Regional School District Starts School