Updates from Mrs. Froning
April 19, 2020
Moving Forward with Learning in Walled Lake
Dear Oakley Park Families,
We appreciate your patience and understanding on Thursday and Friday when our staff was engaged in professional development about our Continuity of Learning Plan. We also appreciate the hard work of our staff over these two days. They continue to respond to difficult circumstances with resilience, creativity, and teamwork.
On Friday, you received an email from Judy Evola on behalf of Superintendent Gutman. This email introduced our district’s Continuity of Learning (COL) plan. This plan ensures a comprehensive approach to teaching and learning throughout the district during the mandated school closure.
We encourage you to:
- Watch this video overview from Superintendent Gutman,
- Review the district’s COL plan, this elementary FAQ document and the resources on our website.
- After you’ve reviewed these documents, you may submit additional questions to email@example.com
You might be wondering, how will this plan be different than what we’ve been doing?
- We will continue to focus on literacy and math and will introduce new learning about essential skills and concepts in these areas. Science and social studies will be integrated into literacy and math, as appropriate.
- Our PE, Music, Media, and Art teachers will continue to provide learning opportunities for students.
- Our plan addresses the diverse needs of learners including special education services and English learners.
- You may find that there are adjustments to the weekly routine that you’ve gotten used to. We understand that a predictable routine is important to families. A sample routine is available in the above links and routines will be clearly communicated by teachers.
- Our plan also utilizes guidance from the Michigan Department of Education with regards to time allocations for online learning. It is important to recognize that virtual learning at home cannot substitute for daily, in-person instruction. Much of what occurs in our classrooms with the guidance of our highly effective teachers simply cannot be replicated in a virtual setting. Our Continuity of Learning plan details developmentally appropriate time allocations for at-home learning at all levels.
- Elementary students will receive a final report card with narrative feedback regarding their engagement with math and ELA standards over the remaining eight weeks of instruction.
We ask for your continued partnership through the next 8 weeks as we take steps forward during this unprecedented time. Student participation in Google Classroom is highly important as students WILL be exposed to new learning. With that said, we are here to help you and your student every step of the way. Please know that you can continue to count on us to approach this crisis with creativity, connection, and compassion. We will seek creative solutions and prioritize our children’s social-emotional needs. We understand the importance of connection during this difficult time.
Lastly, we understand that our families and staff are juggling many priorities like working from home, caring for family members, and/or financial difficulties. Many of our families are serving our community as healthcare workers, first responders, and essential workers. We promise to be flexible and compassionate with ALL our families. We ask that you extend the same compassion and grace to our staff as they juggle many priorities at home, too.
As Mr. Gutman stated in the above video, “Together we will continue learning, taking care of each other, and supporting every child, every day.”
Food and Family Support Services Continue
WLCSD Food Distribution: every Monday until further notice
Distribution Date(s) & Time: Monday's 1:45 to 3 p.m. or when all the food is distributed.
- Walled Lake Western High School, 600 Beck Road, Walled Lake
- Pick-up at Western is outside the gym entrance in the parking lot and bus loop area near the athletic fields.
- Walled Lake Central High School, 1600 Oakley Park Road, Walled Lake
- Pick-up at Central is at the main entrance. Please follow those directing traffic.
Children will receive 7 days of breakfast and 7 days of lunch for all children 18 and under, and adults with disabilities 26 and under.
The meals distributed are provided by the Unanticipated School Closure Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), are available to all children at no cost.
Student Pantry continues serving Walled Lake families
Helpful Information for Families
Shout outs for Walled Lake Schools!
Please be sure to join the Fine Arts Classrooms
Ms. Vining- Music
Ms. Shafer- Media
Mrs. Grinnell- PE
Mr. Ozuch PE (Kindergarten, 2nd grade & ASD)
Mrs. Kristin Froning, Principal
Mrs. Karen Clark, Principal's Secretary
Mrs. Kim Waling, Building Secretary
Main line 248-956-4100
Attendance line 248-956-4190
Fax line: 248-956-4105