Term 3 Week 1 - 25th July 2022
Welcome back to a very wet and windy term 3.
We have a very exciting and full term ahead of us with lots of extra activities including, production, gymnastics with Active Attitude, cross country, school speeches, Yr 7-8 girls ripper competition, school wide country study (China) and Mathex.
It has been a very busy term break with multiple building projects on the go at the same time.
We have finished the new carpet and lino in the classrooms which has been long overdue for rooms 1 and 2 especially. Our new Learning Support space including the back rooms of the library are well underway and should be completed in the next week or so. The PE shed is 99% done and we look forward to moving in shortly. We are also having a new wider foot path installed from the parent carpark gate. This area may be closed off for a week to allow it to cure properly.
You would have read that the MOE and MOH have asked schools to strongly encourage mask wearing again for the next 4 weeks. This is to slow the spread of COVID and the normal winter colds that have affected our schools substantially before the holidays. It is important that we encourage our children to wear their mask if they are in room 3 or 6 and for visitors and parents to do the same if they are entering classrooms or the office. We have a supply of child size masks on their way but it is best if families provide their own.
Next Monday your child’s mid-year report will be coming home. It is an interim progress report that describes what your child can do and their next steps. It shows achievement and effort in relation to The NZ Curriculum expectations in reading, writing, maths and key competencies.
This report is followed by a student, parent and teacher conference on Wednesday 3rd August. See more info below. The two go hand in hand and allows whanau to ask questions, set goals and get further information on how they can support their child’s learning.
Parent Interviews Wednesday 3rd August
On Wednesday 3rd August we will hold parent interviews for every child here at school. School will finish early at 2pm. Interview times will start from 2.20pm and go until 6pm. To book a 10 minute time slot please use the Skool Loop App. If you haven't downloaded the app yet, please see the bottom of the newsletter on how to do so. If you would like to email or phone through to book a time, you are also welcome to do that too.
All children will start gymnastics training on Fridays with Active Attitude to get ready for our gymnastics competition later in the term. Please send them in appropriate clothing for this training.
Cross Country Training and Dates
The children will be starting their cross country training sometime over this next week. Please send a change of clothing every day and a towel. If they want to run in shoes, make sure they are old ones you don't mind getting muddy. No gumboots please!
Te Horo Cross Country will be held on Friday 12th August. We will need parents to transport children to Pipiwai to compete against other schools in our zone. Please fill in the permission slip on our Skool Loop App or email it in to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate how many children you are able to transport please.
Kokopu Cross Country will be held at school on Tuesday 23rd August. Parents are welcome to come along and support the children.
Learning at Home - Parent Help
Helping your child learn at home is a great way to reinforce what is being learnt at school and practice some of those key skills they need. On our school website we have some excellent help pages for parents.
This week we would like to highlight our writing goals sheet. It outlines what each year group is working on and what their next steps could be. These are based on the Write That Essay program that we run at school. These were created by our very talented Jennifer Hibbert and are used by our teachers as part of their planning. Click the link below to see the full set.
Community of Learning
For the last 5 years Kokopu School has been part of a local Community of Learning with 10 other schools in our area. Below is an update newsletter about what we have been up to as a collaborative group of schools.
Main Election Roll Closes - Wednesday 13 July 2022
Call for Nominations by - Friday 15 July 2022
Close Supplementary Roll - Monday 1 August 2022
Nominations close - Wednesday 3rd August 2022
Voting Papers issued by - Wednesday 10 August 2022
Election Day (Voting closes) - 4pm Wednesday 7 September
Last day to accept postal votes - Monday 12 September 2022
Votes counted - Tuesday 13 September
Board takes office - Wednesday 14 September
Nomination forms were sent out via email on Wednesday 6 July to voters on the electoral roll. If you would like a hard copy of the nomination form please contact the school office. The electoral roll is available to view in the school office or you are welcome to contact the school to enquire if you are on the electoral roll.
We are seeking 5 parent representatives to get on board and join our active Board of Trustees. If you are interested in standing for the BOT you are welcome to nominate yourself or get someone in our community to nominate you. For more information on becoming a BOT member, please follow this link https://www.schoolboardelections.org.nz/becoming-a-board-member
Kokopu School Ag Day
We will hold our annual Kokopu School Calf Club/Ag Day on Saturday 29th October term 4 here at school. You can start raising your animal now, so you may like to think about getting a lamb, goat or calf. We will have our lamb/goat day care open at school from Monday 1st August. Children are welcome to bring their animal to school so they can look after and feed it during the day.
If you know of anyone who has lambs available for children to raise, please contact the school office so we can put people in touch.
If you would like to raise a goat we have been told of 3 male nubian/toggenburg goats available. They are almost a week old and on the bottle. They will be available on Thursday after they have been de-budded on Wednesday. The cost is $35. Phone Glenis 0272475881.
Central Day - Thursday 3rd November at Barge Park.
- Carpark and gate. Please come to the gate in the carpark to collect your children at the end of the day. We do not want children walking through the carpark without an adult as it is unsafe with the amount of cars and limited parking. We have a teacher on duty at the gate each day to supervise. Can we ask parents and visitors to make sure they close the gates if you use them? We have a few children that may be prone to walking out an open gate. Thank you.
- Absences. A reminder that it is important to contact the school before 9.30am when your child will be absent. You can either phone, email or let us know via our Skool Loop app. We need to know where your children are so we know they are safe and can mark them correctly on the roll. See details in this newsletter on how to download our Skool Loop App.
- Iceblock Sales. Ice Blocks are for sale again to raise funds for the school. Many children who come to school with $2 like to buy their friend an ice block. Please could you send a note to say they are allowed to do this? The Room 6 children do ask but a note would be easier for them.
- Term Dates. Term 1 03/02— 14/04 Term 2 02/05— 08/07 Term 3 25/07— 30/09 Term 4 17/10— 15/12
- Term 3 25/07 - 30/09
- 29 July - Gymnastic Coaching starts
- 1 August - Reports sent home
- 3 August - Parent Interviews
- 8 August - Maths Week
- 12 August - Te Horo Cross Country Taniwha Challenge
- 23 August - Kokopu Cross Country
- 26 August - Daffodil Day
- 30 August - Country Study Meal (China)
- 31 August - WPSSA Cross Country
- 1 September - Mathex
- 6 September - Kokopu Speech Competition
- 7 September - Wig/Wacky hair day
- 9 September - Kokopu Gymnastics Competition
- 9 September - Mangakahia Country Meal - Kokopu School Hosting
- 21 September - Production Rehearsal at Clark Road Chapel
- 22 September - Production Matinee and Evening shows
- 28 September - Mangakahia Lions Speech Competition
- Term 4 17/10 to 15/12
- 29 October - Kokopu School Ag Day
- 3 November - Central Ag Day
School Policies and Procedures Schooldocs
Tauraroa Area School Open Day
OPEN DAY - Friday 5th August 2022
Please return this registration form by Thursday 4th August 2022. To complete the form follow this link: https://forms.gle/YGDyry96dwHxm5QH7
Ruatangata Indoor Bowls
Whangarei Boys High School Visits
- Deans visits to Kokopu School: 29th July
- Y8 Open Evening: Thursday 4th August - from 4.30pm
- Y8 Interviews: Wednesday 17th and Thursday 18th August - (9am - 5pm)
- Y8 Catch Up Interview Day: Wednesday 26th October - (9am - 5pm)