Mashburn Elementary Blue Bear Notes
March 18, 2016
In March we will focus on the mindset 100% Accountable. We are all 100% Accountable for our own success and happiness. As you and your children work towards being 100% Accountable remember to:
1. Own Your Life- Do not allow the opinions and actions of others to matter more than your own.
2. Overcome Limiting Beliefs - The greatest limitations in life are those you place on yourself. These limitations come in the form of fears and excuses that inhibit confidence. Reprogram your thinking to overcome these limiting beliefs.
3. Focus Your Energy - There are 24 hours in a day. People who get the most out of life do the most with the time they have. They spend more time doing things that give them energy, and use their energy to learn and accomplish what is important to them.
4. Grow Through Life- Life is a process of continual growth. Recognize this and seek to learn from all experiences, good and bad. When you do so, you will constantly get better.
Kindergarten Round Up
Kindergarten Roundup will be held at the Almon C. Hill Educational Center and NOT at individual schools. Mashburn students will register from March 28-April 1.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Make an appointment to come to the Hill Center to register
- Review and gather all documents*
- Pre-register your child’s information into our online system
* If you are missing any documents please still register. You will be incomplete but you can return documents at a later time convenient to you. This will allow the school to have your contact information and inform you of upcoming Kindergarten events.
More Kindergarten Dates
- May 5, 2016 - Ice Cream Social for all upcoming kindergarteners! Drop in from 3:30 to 4:30 to meet the kindergarten team and other upcoming kindergarteners.
- May 31, 2016 and June 1, 2016 - Kindergarten Screening for all upcoming kindergarteners. Please visit the Sign Up Genius link to reserve your time: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F0F48AFA828AA8-kindergarten1
- August 2, 2016 – Kindergarten Open House will be held at a separate time from 9:00am-10:30am. All other grades will be from 4:00pm-6:30pm. This is a fun time for our new kindergarten students to ride the bus to school, see your classroom, meet your teacher, and learn all about kindergarten routines and procedures.
Relay for Life
Are you interested in helping our school raise money for a great cause? You can be a part of the Mashburn Relay for Life Team or support your favorite team member with your donation.
Please click here to donate or join the team. We'd love to see lots of our Mashburn Bluebears and their parents at the Relay for Life event.
Blessings in a Backpack
Thank you for everyone who has already started sending in some items and donations for our Blessings pantry. As you may know, Lambert High School students have sponsored 21 MES students with their Blessings in a Backpack program to provide students with snacks & food for the weekends all school year. At Mashburn, we are currently supporting an additional 20 students (41 students in all) and your contributions of child-friendly foods will help us continue to support our students.
During the month of March, Lambert HS has asked Mashburn Elementary School to give back and collect juice boxes for their county-wide Blessings program. From Lambert High School, their chapter will pack over 6,042 bags of food, which requires over 36,252 food items for the school year. WOW… I am so thankful for the Lambert’s Blessings program and how they’ve supported Mashburn Elementary School students. Let’s give back and collect some juice boxes for their amazing program. (donations can be dropped off in the front office)
Items that will help Mashburn stock our blessings pantry are (non-perishable, single serving, & child-friendly):
- Granola bars (all variety of bars)
- Chips/Pretzels/Snacks (single serving snack food chips, pretzels, goldfish, crackers
- Breakfast food (single serving oatmeal, grits, pop tarts, cereal, ect)
- Protein (Ravioli, soups, single serving peanut butter, ect.)
- Pasta (Mac & cheese, microwave rice & noodles, ect.)
- Drinks (juice boxes/pouches, small water bottles)
- Fruit (cups, apple sauce/fruit sauce, dried fruit)
***We can also use some plastic grocery store bags to pack the blessings in, so if you have any you want to recycle – please send in a few.
Where to send donations:
- Mashburn blessings can be delivered to your student’s classroom where they will be delivered to our pantry area and sorted.
- Donations to the Lambert Blessings drive: Juice boxes will be collected in the front office.
We'd like to thank teachers, staff, interns, and our PTA who have already started helping to create the blessings that we hand out on Fridays.
News From the Mashburn Cafe
Mrs. Hasse and her staff will be selling some ala carte items in the cafeteria. The cost will be $.75 per item and will include things like popcorn, snack mix and some types of chips.
5th Grade Outing to Buford Trout Hatchery
5th Graders are cordially invited to the Buford Trout Hatchery
3204 Trout Place Road, Cumming, GA 30041
WHO: Families of 5th graders- All 5th graders must be accompanied by an adult.
WHEN: Saturday, March 19 (In case of rain, it will be held on Saturday, March 26.)
TIME: 12:45 – 3:00pm -Free tour of the hatchery starts at 1:00pm. Students will feed the fish during the tour. Bring a picnic lunch to eat at 1:45. Bring your own fishing rod and bait (e.g., worms, hotdogs, corn).
*All fish are under the “catch and release” rule.
*Anyone over 16 years of age must have a fishing license if fishing.
The fishing pond and trails close at 3:00pm. For more information, visit www.georgiawildlife.com/Fishing/Trout.
This outing is NOT sponsored by the PTA or Mashburn Elementary.
As part of the 7 Mindsets Live to Give and We Are Connected mindsets, it is Shoe Drive time once again. Beginning March 21st through April 15th, we will be collecting Shoes for Africa through a Forsyth County charity, Love Thru Shoes. There will be a bin in the front office to place your shoes. Our goal this year is 700 pairs of shoes! All adult and children’s shoes are accepted except for house slippers. Please tie all shoes with laces together. Let’s start collecting!
Central Cluster Football Summit
Join us for an informational meeting regarding school and community football programs within the Central cluster on Thursday, March 24th at 7:00 PM in the FCHS East Cafeteria.
GA Milestones Information
Go ahead mark your calendars for the upcoming GA Milestone Assessment. Testing begins Thursday April 14th and will conclude on Friday April 29th. We ask that you do not plan doctor’s appointments or other events that require your child to miss school during this time.