Titan Talk Newsletter
November 8, 2019
The week ahead...
NOVEMBER IS FAMILY ENGAGEMENT MONTH!
* Pajama Project sponsored by the Media Center
* Canned Food Drive for NFCC sponsored by Jr. Beta
- 11/9 - Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 pm
- 11/11 - Veterans Day: EPMS Honors our Veterans
- 11/12 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM in the Media Center
- 11/13 - Drama Club after-school in Ms. Bickel's class
- 11/13 - RAK Club after-school in Ms. Dismer's class
- 11/13 - Jr. Beta Club after-school in the Media Center
- 11/13 - Volleyball Game at 5:30 PM at EPMS Gym
- 11/14 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 11/14 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM in the Media Center
- 11/15 - SGC Meeting @ 8:00 AM in the Large Conference Room
- 11/15 - Interact Club @ 8:00 AM in Mrs. Streeter's room (E-114)
- 11/15 - Volleyball Game @ 5:30 PM at Northwestern Middle School
- 11/16 - AVID 7th & 8th Grade Field Trip at Georgia Tech @ 10:30 AM - 6:30 PM
- 11/16 - Titan Advantage @ 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- 11/18 - Classroom Spelling Bees
- 11/19 - Classroom Spelling Bees
- 11/19 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM in the Media Center
- 11/19 - Basketball Conditioning and Interest Session - Boys & Girls @ 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM in the Gym
- 11/20 - Katha Stuart Meeting: MPES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 11/20 - Drama Club after-school in Ms. Bickel's room
- 11/20 - RAK Club after-school in Ms. Dismer's room
- 11/20 - Basketball Conditioning and Interest Session - Boys & Girls @ 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM in the Gym
- 11/20 - Student-Led Data Talks at 6 p.m. in the Cafeteria
- 11/21 - Student Council Meeting @ 8 AM in Ms. Williams' room (E-106)
- 11/21 - School Spelling Bee in the Media Center @ 9:00 AM - ALL PARENTS INVITED! Click HERE for "Word of the Champions" Key to the Spelling Bee.
- 11/21 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 11/21 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM in the Media Center
- 11/22 - EPMS RFF Day (EPMS Students Off)
- 11/25 to 11/29 - Thanksgiving Break (Schools Closed)
Message from the Principal
Elkins Pointe hosted three events this week. The first event we hosted was the French National Week. Merci Beaucoup to Monsieur Mendy and Madmoiselle Dismer for organizing four days of French activities. Secondly, our school was selected by the district to host a luncheon called "To Eat and Greet at the Legislative Roundtable." Elected members of Fulton County enjoyed lunch and a roundtable discussion with Superintendent Dr. Looney and the FCS School Board. Lastly, we ended our week with our Be The Voice antibullying kick-off. Thank you to Mrs. Streeter and the Interact Club for bringing Be The Voice to our school.
I want to ask parents and students to plan on joining us on Wednesday, November 20th, at 6:00 p.m. for our Student-Led Data Talks. This academic initiative focuses on students taking ownership of their learning. Core subject teachers, administration, and staff will be on hand to help parents and students interpret Georgia Milestones data and understand each student's progress and growth.
Thank you for all that you do!
Elkins Pointe Middle School
"Every Day, Every Student, College & Career Bound: Go Titans!"
Welcome to Our Legislators and FCS Leaders
"Le Petit Café des Titans"
Jr. Beta Visit to Hembree Springs
Pajama Program of Atlanta
Our Media Center is sponsoring the Pajama Program. Please help us donate brand new LONG-SLEEVED pajamas, Adult sizes for middle school teens or children's sizes 6-12 for elementary school (tags still attached) and brand-new books to the Pajama Program of Atlanta.
Drop off PJs & books in the MEDIA CENTER at Elkins Pointe from November 1st – December 1st. Mrs. Newman suggests any picture book, graphic novel, or short chapter book. Ms. Rickson suggests comfy warm PJs for boys or girls.
Our Media Specialist, Mrs. Newman, and Ms.Rickson would like to "Thank you so much for supporting students throughout Atlanta and in this community!"
Jr. Beta Canned Food Drive - until 11/18
The Jr. Beta Club is sponsoring a Canned Food Drive for North Fulton Charities. Each WINN class will have a collection bin until November 18th. Rewards will be given to the classes that collect the most food items. The first place is a Pizza Party, and second place is a Krispie Kreme Donut Party. Jr. Beta challenges each student to get their "CAN-CAN"s to their WINN class for the WIN!!
Thanksgiving Donations 2019 for North Fulton Charities (NFCC)
NFCC is in we need non-perishable food items for a Thanksgiving meal and grocery store gift cards in $25 increments. Last year, NFCC provided the makings for a Thanksgiving meal to nearly 500 families! Consider getting an item in each category for a family of four or buying several items in one category. Below is a grocery store list of suggested items:
- Canned Vegetables (Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Squash, Greens,..)
- Boxed or Bagged Potatoes and Rice (Mashed or Scalloped;
- White, Brown or Yellow Rice
- Boxed Pasta Mixes (Mac-n-Cheese, Side pasta mixes)
- Boxed or Bagged Stuffing Mixes (Cornbread, Herb, Plain)
- Bags of Flour, Cornmeal, Biscuit mixes
- Boxes of Baking Goods (Cake Mixes, Brownies, Pie makings, Cornbread)
- Cans of Gravy (Turkey, Chicken)
- Cans of Fruit (Apple, Cranberry, Cranberry Sauce, Pineapple, Applesauce, Peaches, etc.)
* NFCC asks that you please limit your donations to specific items for a Thanksgiving meal.
THINGS TO KNOW
Veterans Day: Honors our Veterans - 11/11
We want to take this opportunity to honor and remember all who served our country on Veterans Day. Your service and sacrifice are much appreciated. Many thanks to our very own Elkins Pointe Veterans:
- George Eberhart, Army Reserves
- Officer Allen Jones, Army
We will honor them at school on Monday, November 11, 2019.
We salute you!!
Basketball Conditioning & Interest Session - 11/19 & 11/20
Basketball Conditioning & Interest Session for Boys & Girls will take place on November 19th and 20th from 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM in the Gym.
To participate in Basketball, students must be in 7th-grade or 8th-grade and complete the required FCS Athletic Forms:
Questions? Contact: Dr. Erika Edward (girls) or Mr. Dan Richal (boys)
Student Led Data Talks - 11/20
Join us on Wednesday, November 20th at 6 PM for the Student-Led Data Talks in the Elkins Pointe Cafeteria.
The purpose of this school-wide event is for students to share their data with parents. This event encourages students to take ownership of their learning. With the help of teachers, staff, and administration, parents and students will review progress, growth, grades, and attendance. We apologize for any inconvenience. We hope you will join us!
Spelling Bee - 11/21
The school-wide spelling bee will be held on Thursday, November 21st at 9:00 AM in the Media Center. Parents and family members are welcome to come to watch the spelling bee
Elkins Pointe Middle School students will participate in an in-class spelling bee in ELA classes on Monday, November 18 (and Tuesday, November 19 if needed). There will be one winner and one runner-up selected from each ELA class. The runner-up will only participate in the school-wide spelling bee if the class winner is not available to participate. The ELA teacher will confirm with all students who are participating in the spelling bee.
Students will be provided with a printed copy of the “Difficulty Level: Three Bee” words only, the recommended level for middle school students. However, the spelling bee word lists for all levels have been uploaded to students’ ELA class files in TEAMS for students who seek a challenge.
- Click HERE for "Word of the Champions" Key to the Spelling Bee
If students or parents have questions or concerns about the spelling bee, please address those with your child’s ELA teacher. Have a bee-utiful day! EPMS ELA Department
Transition Meetings for 8th Grade Parents & Families - 12/3 & 12/5
* Save the Date and Don't Be Late! We cover a lot of information, and we will be starting promptly at 6 PM!
** 8th Orchestra parents who have a child playing at Roswell High School on Tuesday, December 3rd, please click HERE.
SAVE THE DATE for the Invention Convention STEM Night - 12/11
Question: What is an Invention Convention STEM Night?
Answer: This NEW to the school event will be jointly run by the 6th grade Science Department and the PTSA!
Here are some of the awesome activities planned!
1) INVENTION CONVENTION: Inventions from 6th grade science classes will be on display in the cafeteria. Inventions will be judged during the school day, but the awards will be issued at the event.
2) STEM STATIONS: We will have different stations for guests to participate in STEM activities:
- Math-Estimation Table
- STEM activities with Q-Tips and Aluminum Foil
- An Eiffel Tower Building Challenge with Pipe Cleaners
- Designing cars with cards, mints, balloons, straws, tape - Then rest in a racetrack
- Catapults- marshmallow launchers... have a starting line for the launcher and see whose goes the farthest
- Rock quarry challenge to invent a device that will lift a rock out of a quarry
- "ProBot" racecars with LifeSaver wheels
- Squishy Circuits uses playdough to create circuits
- Magnatizes circuit boards using Little Bits
- 3D Doodler and 3D printing pen
- Stop-Motion Video with iPads
- Greenscreen Station
3) RAFFLE - RAFFLE - RAFFLE!!! The BIG Prize is a Tello EDU Drone to raffle at STEM night. All proceeds go to 6th grade TAG science.
4) REFRESHMENTS: PTSA will be providing food items to give our STEM-goers fule for their brains!
MORE THINGS FOR TITANS
FCS Technology Competition - Register Now!
Get Ready, Techies! This year's FCS Technology Competition will be held on Saturday, December 14, 2019, at Centennial High School in Roswell, GA. For more information on all of the categories, check out the Technology Competition website by clicking HERE!
If you have a project and you would like to represent our school, please email Ms. Lindesay at Lindesay@fultonschools.org and schedule a time to see her show what you have created. Some of her classes are currently working on projects to see who has the best project. Ms. Lindesay is also available after school to assist and prep students to be judged when scheduled.
Only a limited number of participants can represent the grade levels in each category, so act fast to see if your project will get you on this year’s Titan Tech Team. This year's Titan Tech Team participants will be registered before the Thanksgiving Break in order to meet the county’s registration deadline.
Here is a list of the categories for the competition:
- 3-D Modeling
- Audio Production
- Device Modification
- Digital Game Design
- Digital Photo Production
- Graphic Design
- Internet Applications
- Mobile Apps
- Multimedia Applications
- Productivity Design
- Project Programming
- Tech Programming Challenge
- Video Production
Yearbook @ EPMS Asks for BFF Pictures!
We are also accepting pictures of best friends who didn't know each other when they were younger, but are inseparable now.
Turn in Your Box Tops
It's Box Tops Time! Please send clipped Box Tops (in a baggie) with your student by Friday, October 25. Collection boxes are in the Atrium and at the school store. Did you know Box Tops are going digital? Simply download the app and scan your receipts; EPMS will get credit and you don't have to get out the scissors!
BUY FOOTBALL TICKETS ONLINE
- 12/3 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (English)
- 12/5 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (Spanish)
- 12/10 - Band Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m. ALL grades
- 12/11 - Katha Stuart Meeting: VMES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 12/12 - Chorus Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m.
- 12/12 - Spelling Bee @ 9 a.m.
- 12/20 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 12/20 - Last Day of First Semester
- 12/23 to 12/31 – Winter Break (schools closed)