Oakview's latest news, events, activities & opportunities
August 25, 2017
Principal's Report - Phillip Reavis
On behalf of the faculty and staff at Oakview Elementary School, welcome back to school! In particular, I welcome our new families and trust you will soon discover that Oakview is indeed a “Habitat for Learning!” This year, we will “Work Hard, Play Hard”! I would also like to welcome the following new employees to the Oakview family.
Jen Roberts – Preschool Special Education Teacher
Holly Blouse – Preschool Special Education Teacher Assistant
Jessica Bagwell – First Grade Teacher
Kayla Edrington – First Grade Teacher
Kelli Staggs – First Grade Teacher
Michelle Kelly – Second Grade Teacher
Sophia Denaro – Second Grade Teacher
Thomas Hilker – Third Grade Teacher
Molly Schwarz – Third Grade Teacher
Buist Lide – Challenge
Lori Beth Satterfield – Challenge
Cyndy Martin – Special Education Teacher
The Lazy Days of Summer?
While you relaxed on the beach, attended summer camp, or sat by the pool, things were busy at the school! Here’s just a few of our summer activities.
- Faculty and staff participated in dozens of workshops at the annual GCS “Summer Academy” or at Oakview
- Nineteen rising first grade students attended “Footsteps to First Grade,” a four week, invitation only, readiness program.
- Renovations occurred in the front office to improve security.
- Our wonderful building services team cleaned the building (120,000 square feet).
- New flooring was installed in the faculty dining room.
- New carpet was installed in all first grade classrooms.
- New floor tile was installed in all second grade classrooms.
I could go on but you get the idea. It’s been a busy but productive summer at Oakview! Now that things are in place, it’s time for another amazing school year. We look forward to working hard and playing hard with YOU this year!
Phillip Reavis, Ph.D.
Welcome Back from the PTA President
Welcome back! I cannot believe that it’s that time of year again … school time! I am sure we are divided between those that are ready for “the routine” again and those that do not think that the summer lasted long enough! I imagine the parents fall into the first category and the teachers - and children - in the second, right? Either way, it’s August when a fresh school year is upon us and I am very excited to be serving as your PTA President this year.
PTA has been working hard this summer to make sure that we get the year started off right and I hope that we have made your transition back a little bit easier with our fewer forms and online options. Speaking of those, be sure to have your forms completed no later than August 31.
I look forward to seeing you face-to-face at our Fall General Membership Meeting on Thursday, August 31. Our meeting will be in between the two Open House sessions so please come early or stay late to attend the PTA meeting at 6 pm.
Your support of Oakview is unparalleled and for that, I am so very thankful, because you make my job pretty easy!
Serving With You,
#ONLYatOAKVIEW where we “Work Hard, Play Hard”
We are currently at 42% of Parent Memberships which is great news. Don’t forget that there are prizes for the first class in each grade to reach 100% participation! You can fill out the information and pay online here (minimal fees will apply if paying online).
Or you can fill out the yellow PTA Support Form that was included in your Back to School packet and return it to school with your cash or check. Either way, happy joining!
Calling for Volunteers
Volunteers are critical to the success of not only the PTA, but really to the success of Oakview, in general! So be sure to fill out the Volunteer Registration Form found here to express your interest in serving as Room Coordinator or in one of the many other areas of the PTA.
And mark your calendar for the Volunteer Breakfast on Friday, September 1 at 9:00 am to learn about many of the PTA and School Committees!
Show your Oakview pride with some Spirit Wear! We have a number of great options this year to choose from. There are several different ways to get your order in by August 31:
- Fill out the form from your Back to School packet and return to school with your cash or check payment made payable to Oakview PTA.
- If you would rather pay online for your order, just fill out the form from your Back to School packet, go here to pay for your order, write “Paid Online” at the top of your Order Form and return it to school.
- Extra forms can be found here if you need one.
Directory Advertising Opportunities
New Family Welcome Meeting
If you are new to Oakview this year, we invite you to a New Family Welcome Meeting on Friday, September 1 at 10:00 am (held just after the Volunteer Breakfast).
Come meet our school’s Principal, learn more about our beloved Owls, and meet other families that are new to the school.
Watch D.O.G.S. Website
We're excited to continue the Watch D.O.G.S. program this year so we can continue connecting Dads/Guardians/Grandparents/Uncles with their favorite kids at Oakview. Whether you're new to the program or you've been a Watch D.O.G. before, check out our new website to get all the current info throughout the year.
This will be the new hub of the program, with all the documents, web links, and contact info you need to get started. It's a new site, so we'll be building it up in the coming weeks and adding content throughout the year. Click here to get started and let us know how we can help you!
Save the Date! Hootenanny
Mark your calendars for the Hootenanny! Our 15th Annual Fall Festival will be held Friday, November 3rd from 4:30-9:00 pm!
It is going to be a really fun time for all! Our committee has been hard at work this summer planning another thrilling event. You can start helping us by buying silly string. If you are out and see it, grab a can or two as we will begin collecting them in October.
Meet the PTA President: Jennifer Burns
- Tell us a little about yourself: I have lived in Greenville since I was 5 years old so I pretty much consider myself a native at this point. I am the mother of 9-year old boy and girl twins who will be in the third grade this year, a huge Georgia Bulldogs fan, and the beach is my happy place!
- Favorite sport? Good old college football
- People would be surprised if they knew: That I won the State Champion Typing Award in High School.
- If you were stuck on an island what two things would you bring? Sunscreen & a refillable bottle of water!
- If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you? Drew Barrymore
- What is on your wish list for Oakview for this year? My wish for this year is that we actually bring our playground dream to fruition with everyone's support!
Upcoming Spirit Nights
Thursday, August 31
6 -10 pm
Corner of Hwy 14 & Woodruff Road
Thursday, September 7
4 - 9 pm
at Magnolia Park on Woodruff Road
Thursday, September 21
5 - 8 pm
on Woodruff Road