October 2, 2017
Speaking of Mrs. Rahman, welcome to Bethany!! We are so excited you are here and look forward to working with you.
Sometime today, you should be receiving a communication from HR regarding "conflict of interest." All employees will receive an email link to Laserfiche to make a selection. "As with last year, you will need your employee ID to complete the form. Disclosure requirements exist for gifts, lodging, transportation, or entertainment to employees of an aggregate value of $100 or more. This includes donated food or apparel to a staff member by a single vendor in excess of $100 or more during a school year. Also required for disclosure is income or family relationships with vendors or potential vendors."
It is important to watch the video below before responding to the conflict of interest questionnaire.
As you know, Andi and I had an opportunity to participate in the Momentous Institute's Changing the Odds Conference last Thursday and Friday. Overall, the conference was fantastic. There were definitely moments of discomfort as my thinking was challenged and required me to reassess some of my thought processes. At the same time, there were many things said during the conference that reinforced my core beliefs. In other words, it did just what a learning experience should do . . . created an opportunity for me to grow! One of the speakers was Michelle Gielan. She spoke about "broadcasting happiness." What most stuck out from her presentation was the fact that social connection is the greatest predictor for long term happiness. It made me think, "Am I making authentic social connections that are increasing happiness or am I guarded and defensive in a way that discourages true connection?" This struck me both in my relationships with each of you, the students, parents, and friends and family outside of school. Am I really willing to be vulnerable to embrace the discomfort that sometimes comes with authentic relationships or do I hold back in order to "protect myself". Perhaps this is a great question for self-reflection for each of us. I have included a brief video where Mrs. Gielan talks about a person who chose happiness (it doesn't relate to the question I posed, but is a good introduction to her work).
Finally, as a reminder, we have the opportunity to continue our discussions from The Gifts of Imperfection. This month, we are reading pages 23-47 and completing Launch and Learn Activity 2: Fitting In vs. Belonging in the Google Classroom. Completing the google classroom activities is required to receive campus flex hours associated with each portion of the book. Thanks to those who are caught up and the vulnerability many of you are displaying as we learn together.
Thanks for the blessing to work with each of you!! Hope you have a great week!!
- October 3rd -- SBIC Meeting (5:00 p.m.)
- October 4th -- Team Leader Meeting
- October 9th -- Student/Teacher Holiday
- October 10th -- Parent / Teacher Conferences
- October 11th -- Staff Meeting (until 5:00 p.m.)
- October 12th -- Vision and Hearing Screening -- K, 1, and 3
- October 16th -- Ms. Danawal's Bridal Shower -- 3:15 p.m.
- October 18th -- Team Leader Meeting
- October 19th -- GT Training -- 3:00 p.m.
- October 20th -- End of First Nine Weeks
- October 23rd -- Picture Retakes
- October 23rd-25th -- Collin County Adventure Park -- 5th Grade
- October 23rd-27th -- Red Ribbon Week
- October 25th -- IWK Meetings
- October 25th -- Dining for Dollars - Ferrari's Pizza
- October 26th -- Second Grade Program -- 6:30 p.m.
- October 27th -- Report Cards sent home
- October 27th -- PTA Trunk or Treat
- October 27th - November 3rd -- Book Fair
- November 1st -- Team Leader Meeting
- November 2nd -- PTA General Assembly -- 5:30 p.m.
- November 2nd -- Science Night -- 6:00 p.m.
- November 6th -- Monday Morning Assembly
“Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best.”
~Theodore Isaac Rubin