CURATED BY THE DESOTO ISD LIBRARIES
AVOID THE SUMMER SLIDE
June 7th join in the Conversation with New YA Authors! Student, Teachers, Parents, Librarians are all welcome.
Is there anything more exciting than reading an incredible debut novel? No! Because in the book world, we’re always excited to celebrate new voices, and these three YA authors are no exception.
Join #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Wrath and the Dawn and The Beautiful series, Renée Ahdieh and Penguin Young Readers on Monday, June 7 at 1PM CT/2PM ET for this free, hour-long discussion where debut authors will be introducing attendees to their first novels and participating in a panel discussion about YA, publishing for the first time, and how they’re excited to work with librarians to meet readers.
We’ll hear from:
- Olivia Abtahi, author of Perfectly Parvin, a fun rom com about a young Iranian American teen navigating high school, homecoming, and the ramifications of a Muslim ban on her family in Iran.
- Ryan Douglass, author of The Taking of Jake Livingston, a horror novel in the vein of Get Out.
- Isaac Fitzsimons, author of The Passing Playbook, a novel about a transgender teen who has to decide between staying stealth or standing up for himself by revealing his identity to all.
Register on the following link: Webinar Registration
We want you to convince other readers to select your book. So, give the title, author, a brief summary, and your own rating of the book (1-5 stars). The more convincing and creative you are, the more likely your classmates will be to follow your lead and read the book!
It’s that time of year again… where the DeSoto Public Library celebrates summer with the annual Mayor’s Summer Reading Club! This year all the fun and activities will begin on May 29th, beginning with a “zoo-per” exciting farm animal petting zoo and more at the Summer Reading Kick-Off Party on Saturday, May 29th, 2021 from 1-3 pm behind the library in the amphitheater.
This event is free and open to all ages. No registration to attend the event is necessary, but registration for the Mayor’s Summer Reading Club starts on May 1st, 2021. For more information, call 972-230-9666.
- Kids ages 0-18 who read or are read to at least 20 minutes a day can earn great prizes.
- After logging 10 days of reading, kids earn a free book of their choice.
- Each time they reach the 10-day mark, kids can pick up another prize, up to 5 times over the summer.
- Kids who read at least 50 days by August 14 will be entered to win the grand prizes!
- Log reading at dallaslibrary.beanstack.org or on the Beanstack app.
- Printable reading log
OPPORTUNITIES FOR PRE-SCHOOL THRU ELEMENTARY
- Each camp theme will have a special choice board filled with reading, learning, making, outside adventures, exercise, cooking, and more.
- 20 FREE Capstone Interactive eBooks per the theme. That is 120 FREE eBooks for summer reading.
MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL
Welcome To the Bookshare Book Club! Each month, Bookshare staff will choose books for members to read before hosting discussions near the end of the month. The conversations will take place through Zoom webinars. While we have created this club with Bookshare members in mind, everyone is welcome to join, including non-Bookshare members.
In addition to our adult book club, we have launched the Bookshare Teen Book Club. The teen book club is geared towards ages 12-18, but everyone is welcome to join.
FOR STUDENTS WITH READING DISABILITIES
- Read any Bookshare book, including books in these lists curated by our librarians. For easy access, you can subscribe to them, and if you’re a teacher, share with students. Learn how.
- Read on your favorite device. We’ll take care of the tracking!
- Celebrate with the community – share and review the books you read using #CatchUpTogether