Chimacum Junior Senior High School
Newsletter for October 1, 2021 from Principal Kim Kooistra
Kiwi Smith Guest Speaker at Chimacum Junior Senior High School
Table of Contents
- Author & Alum Kiwi Smith Visits CJSHS
- Homecoming Events
- Professional Learning
Health and Safety
- Healthy Youth Survey
- Covid Safety Measures
- School Based Health Center
- Yearbook and Pictures
- K-12 PTA Forming
- Newcomer's Connection Groups
Our students have organized a couple of ways to celebrate.
Spirit Week is next week.
- Monday - Seasons- 7th/8th graders Rivals(Blue, white and red), 9th graders- summer, 10th graders- spring, 11th graders- fall, 12th graders- winter.
- Tuesday - Sports
- Wednesday - Class Colors
- Thursday - Throwback Thursday
- Friday - Cowboy/EJ Rivals (blue/white/red)
- a CJSHS traditional bonfire Thursday, 10/7 from 7-9
- Friday, 10/1 7:00- Home football game at Memorial Stadium vs Cascade Christian
- a dance on Saturday, 10/9 from 8-11 in the CJSHS Commons for 9-12th grade students
All students attending the dance will be tested using our Rapid Response testing on Thursday, 10/7 and Friday, 10/8.
Professional Learning at CJSHS- Intervention Toolbox, MTSS Teams, and Universal Design for Learning
Beyond our intervention toolbox work, we have also spent a day focused on universal design for learning exploring strategies to support meeting the needs of all students and written lesson plans that incorporate the use of the strategies.
Healthy Youth Survey
COVID Safety Measures from Superintendent Mauk
Student safety remains our top priority. We have had relatively few cases in our schools and county; there has only been one in school student-to-student Covid infection in public schools in Jefferson and Clallam counties. In addition to mask wearing, vaccination mandates, and layered mitigation strategies schools are still doing well staving off infections. We closely follow Jefferson County and the Washington Department of Health guidelines to guide our safety practices. Our primary focus is to keep school in-person, and we share that vision with our colleagues across the state.
You will only hear about Covid cases in our schools if your student has been in close contact with a person at school who has tested positive for Covid 19. Close contact is defined as being within 3 feet for 15 or more minutes in a 24 hour period. If you do not hear from school, your child was not determined to be potentially infected in our contact tracing.
If a student has been in close contact with a positive case, they will stay home in quarantine if unvaccinated, or test for Covid within 3 days if vaccinated. All positive Covid cases quarantine at home for 10 days.
School Based Health Center
Our doors are OPEN to provide medical and mental health services for students at Chimacum Jr/Sr High Schools.
Services include: sports physicals, injury evaluations, reproductive health, stress management, relationship issues, and much more
To make an appointment:
- Call or text 360-390-8560-- OR
- Call 360-385-9400, opt 3
For mental health support appointment:
- call (360) 930-9370 or email: email@example.com
Serving students with the following options, observing COVID19-safe practices:
- In-person appointments
- Telehealth (video or phone appointments)
We are happy to serve our youth community in whatever ways possible.
Dr. Melinda Bower, ND and Susan Bone O’Brien, ARNP
Rebecca Williams, Mental Health Counselor
Please see our webpage for more information here: https://jeffersoncountypublichealth.org/521/School-Based-Health-Centers
Newcomers Connections Groups
Being the new kid at school takes some real bravery but your kiddo doesn’t have to go it alone. Samuel Swenson, the new SAP Counselor at CJSHS, will be hosting several connections groups for students who are new to the district. What are these groups all about?
- Building relationships that support healthy lifestyle choices.
- Cultivating the courage to network, to ask for help and coaching, and to seek out learning opportunities, sports, and extra-curricular activities.
- Exploring options for activities, sports, clubs, mentoring, tutoring, and other community connections.
Groups will begin in October and meet 3 times during the school day. Parents and care-givers, please reach out to me with any questions, comments, or tips by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call my office: 360-302-5911.
-Samuel Swenson CJSHS SAP
Yearbook & Pictures
Last week for early bird pricing for the 2021-22 Yearbook! Regular Early Bird price is $50; Free and Reduced price is $35. Please purchase your yearbook at school.
Seniors please make sure you have your pictures taken by November 2nd. A follow up email will come out listing details next week.
Picture retakes and make up day is November 5th.