St. Peter Museum Of Fine Arts
Presenting: Paintings and Statues
The Last Supper
In 1495, Leonardo da Vinci began the Last Supper painting and he finished the painting in 1498. In the painting Jesus is in the middle with all his disciples besides three around him, there was only one woman in the painting which was Mary who is on the right of Jesus. In the painting Peter is holding a dagger which he later uses to cut a soldier's ear off with.
Statue of David
David was commissioned in 1501 by the Cathedral Works Committee. At the age of 26,Michelangelo was given a leftover block of marble that came from the mountains of Carrara, one which had previously been worked on by various other artists. The piece was intended as a monumental work, a testimony to the city's republican pride, not one for close confinement, but was moved to the Accademia in 1873 (from outside the Palazzo Vecchio, where a replica now stands ) to protect it from the ravages of time and the weather.
St. Peter Museum of Fine Arts
The Mona Lisa was originally this type of portrait, but over time its meaning has shifted and it has become an icon of the Renaissance, the most recognized painting in the world. The Mona Lisa is a likely a portrait of the wife of a Florentine merchant, and so her gaze would have been meant for her husband. For some reason however, the portrait was never delivered to its patron, and Leonardo da Vinci kept it with him when he went to work for Francis I, the King of France. It id known as the most seen painting in the world! The painting took from 1503 to 1517 to finish and is located in the Louvre.
Cristo della Minerva
The Cristo della Minerva, also known as Christ the Redeemer or Christ Carrying the Cross, is a marble sculpture by the Italian High Renaissance master Michelangelo Buonarroti, finished in 1521. The work is in the church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva, in Rome, to the left of the main altar. The work was commissioned in June 1514, by the Roman patrician Metello Vari, who stipulated only that the nude standing figure would have the Cross in his arms, but left the composition entirely to Michelangelo. Michelangelo was working on a first version of this statue in his shop in Macello dei Corvi around 1515, but abandoned it in roughed-out condition when he discovered a black vein in the white marble, remarked upon by Vari in a letter, and later by Ulisse Aldrovandi. A new version was hurriedly substituted in 1519-1520 to fulfil the terms of the contract. Michelangelo worked on it in Florence, and the move to Rome and final touches were entrusted to an apprentice, Pietro Urbano: the latter, however, damaged the work and had to be quickly replaced by Federico Frizzi after a suggestion from Sebastiano del Piombo.