Street Smarts Ohio
Youth & Adult Substance Abuse Trends
Street Smart Ohio - Drug Education Program (Limited Seating Available)
- Date: March 13, 2020**
- Location: Ohio Northern University - McIntosh Center (Ada, Ohio)
- Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Contact Hours = 3.0
- Registration Cost: FREE ($0)
About Street Smart Ohio: Street Smart Ohio is an ADULT Program, presented by the Ohio High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area. Its goal is to provide current and up-to-date narcotics information on trends, terminology, paraphernalia, concealment techniques, and physiological effects of drugs.
The target audience includes teachers, coaches, parents, counselors, social workers, and anyone who may come in contact with a drug abuser. Two former undercover detectives, who possess over fifty years of combined narcotics experience, conduct the training.
The presentation includes topics such as current designer street drugs like Molly, Bath Salts, Huffing, LSD, GHB, Fentanyl, and K2/Spice. Current drug paraphernalia is displayed and discussed to depict the ease in camouflaging drug use.
A strong emphasis is placed on the physiological effects of the drugs and indicators to look for. So-called “traditional” drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, crack, heroin, and methamphetamine are also covered extensively as individuals still heavily abuse these drugs.
- A portion of the program also deals with prescription medications, including DXM, due to the easy accessibility in most households.
- The entire presentation is back dropped by a PowerPoint slide show depicting additional examples of the drug being shown.
Street Smart Ohio is committed to provide quality presentations for our customers and will tailor any presentation to fit your specific needs.
- Presented by Ohio High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area
**Deadline to Register: February 28, 2020 @ 3:00 pm
Faulty / Instructors: Street Smart Ohio
Mike Powell began working with the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office in Columbus, Ohio in December in 1973 and retired in March 2006, a total of 36 years. For the last 20 years of his tenure, he was assigned to the Special Investigations Unit (S.I.U.) working narcotics, vice, and stolen property investigations.
- Mike is a graduate of the F.B.I. National Academy in Quantico, Virginia. From June 1995 through December 2001, Mike was federally deputized and was a supervisor with the F.B.I. Drug Task Force in Columbus. Mike has lectured quite extensively on narcotics both locally and nationally.
- Sgt. Powell is a member of the Narcotics Association Regional Coordinating Officers (NARCO) as well as a state certified instructor of narcotics teaching at police academies throughout Ohio. Mike also drafted and is the lead instructor in basic and advanced undercover narcotics courses offered across the state since 1984.
Shawn Bain began his career in law enforcement in1985. Shawn has been assigned many different areas within law enforcement including the Jail division, Patrol division, Canine Unit, SWAT, and the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) conducting vice and narcotics investigations. Shawn has supervised in all of these areas. Shawn is a graduate of the F.B.I. National Academy in Quantico, Virginia.
- Shawn is also a graduate of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Drug Unit Commanders Academy. Shawn has attended numerous other schools and seminars across the country. Shawn has been assigned to numerous task forces assisting the FBI, DEA, and US Marshall’s Office.
- Shawn is a member of the International Narcotics Interdiction Association (INIA), the Narcotic’s Association Regional Coordinating Officers (NARCO), and the Ohio Task Force Commanders Association (OTFCA). Shawn is a state certified instructor for the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION & REMINDERS
Friday, March 13th, 9am-12pm
Ohio Northern University, McIntosh Center, 525 S Main St, Ada, OH 45810
What time should I arrive at the training site? Please arrive 15 minutes early to complete the check-in process.
What You Should Bring? Notepad/Paper & Writing Utensils
Our Cancellation Policy - If you cannot make the event, please cancel by February 28th at 3:00 pm . Send Cancellations to Kim Leach, Administrative Assistant, at Kleach@mresc.org.
Midwest Regional Educational Service Center
Our Vision/Mission: The Midwest Regional Educational Service Center serves and supports students, families, and districts as an innovative educational partner.