Pelion Middle Learning Commons
Read Aloud for the New Year
The New Year is a great time to reignite a student's passion for reading. You can easily do this by reading aloud to your students. Here are a few tips:
1. Select books that are heavy on suspense and conflict. The SC Junior Book Award List is a perfect starting place and you can find all of these books in the Learning Commons.
2. Let your iPad read to them. You can now download audio books from the Learning Commons via the Brytewave K-12 app. The Learning Commons team can help you download the app.
3. Find time to read by alternating bell-ringers with a 5-minute read aloud or simply use the last few minutes of class.
4. Feel free to select something from current events as a read-aloud or choose an article that supplements what you are currently teaching in class. Anything counts!
5. Remember that reading aloud helps students learn new vocabulary and decreases word gaps. The benefits are endless!
Book Trailer of the Month: The Selection by Kiera Cass
Virtual Author Visit
At a Glance in the Learning Commons
- 43 class visits
- 11 teacher trainings
- 198 ebooks downloaded to iPads
- 1045 single student visits
- 1470 uses of Discovery Streaming
- 86 books were added the Learning Commons collection
Coming Soon. . .
Mission and Vision
The Pelion Middle Learning Commons supports student achievement by serving as a center that is conducive to personalized learning, collaboration and creativity. As students develop new digital skills, discover their identity as a reader, and become self-directed, they become lifelong learners.