7 facts about Icy Imprint
- Ice can increase the weight of branches by 30 times
- Ice storms are caused by freezing rain.
- The raindrops move into a thin layer of below-freezing air right near the surface of the earth, allowing them to freeze on contact to the ground, trees, cars and other objects.
- Throughout the US, ice storms occur most often during the months of December and January.
- In 1998, an ice storm in northern New York and northern New England damaged millions of trees and caused $1.4 billion in damage. Accumulations were as much as three inches thick.
- The ice storm that struck the northeastern US in December 2008 left 1.25 million homes and businesses without power.
- In addition to car crashes, people die from hypothermia which is prolonged exposure to cold.