It's the Holiday Season!
News This Week
Our class party will be Thursday, December 18. PJs will be worn this date (not what is on the calendar, so change that date!) December 19 is a half day for students. More information will be coming about our celebration on the 18th.u
As excitement builds, please remind students that these three weeks are important and we are still learning skills they need to be successful in 1st grade and beyond. We will try and take it easy the last week before the holidays, but good behavior is still expected.
Slim Goodbody (On Campus) Field Trip - $6.00 Due by Monday, December 8th
Holidays Around the World
Snow Wizard - Tuesday, December 2 and 16 - $1.00
Studies This Week
- Skills: Compare and Contrast and Predict
- Phonics: Y sounds like long /i/ or long /e/
- Phonics: CV - when the word or syllable ends with a vowel, the vowel is long (hi, me)
- Sight words: always, become, day, everything, nothing, stays, things
- Practice at home: Read decodables and AR books
- We are replacing Egg is an Egg with Owl Moon this week. Your child is not expected to be able to read all of the text for Owl Moon.
- Practice spelling and writing words.
- We are now using spellingcity in class on the ipads as well!
Visit spellingcity.com/meverette for more practice.
- Words this week: my, by, try, any, body, fly, cry, lucky, silly, puppy
- Unit 4 - Sorting by attribute and data collection
- Practice at home: sort buttons, clothes, toys, etc into different groups with a certain attribute. In class we will sort buttons, plastic figures, and ornaments.
- Practice at home: have students read simple graphs in everyday text. Ask them what the graph is showing, how they know, how many people responded, etc.
- Practice at home: Continue working on identifying, counting, and ordering larger numbers. Call out higher numbers (between 50 and 150) and have students write the number. Check for things like: 108, 109, 1010, 1011 -- this is a common mistake!
These words are used in English, math, or science we will learn throughout the week. Words are NOT tested, but will help understanding. Students are not expected to be able to spell these words.
- adult, shuffle, bounce, healthy, teeter, handsome, measurement, crooked
- sort, data, attribute, collection, survey
- day, night, sky, cloud, star, moon, sun, constellation, air, atmosphere
Writing & Grammar
- Identifying verbs (action words) in a sentence
- Journal writing, writing comparisons and contrasts
- Compare and contrast the day and night sky with the naked eye
Toy Drive - Bring a New Unwrapped Toy to Put Under the Tree This Week
1-5 - Toy Drive
2 - Snow Wizard $1.00
3 - Duty Free Lunch PTA
5 - Care House presentations
5 - Center Stage Assembly
16 - Snow Wizard $1.00
16 - PTA w/Kindergarten and 3rd grade choir performance 6:00
18 - Pajama Day & Holiday Parties
19 - 1/2 Day Dismissal 11:40 First Bell/Car Line