Weekly Memo: May 2nd-May 6th
"Overcoming Mediocrity & Redefining Excellence"
Principal Stewart's Message:
THEME OF THE WEEK: INNOVATION!
My message of the week derives from Abraham Lincoln's Second Annual Message delivered on December 1, 1862: "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country."
This quote resonates with me because the week of May 2nd is THE most eagerly anticipated and exciting one for me since I accepted the honor of serving as Principal. This week I get to honor each of you during Teacher Appreciation week which applies to ALL staff because we are ALL educators. In addition, we launch our pilot of the Core Knowledge ("The Core") Curriculum!
Core Knowledge is about PASSION and it excites my spirit and energy which makes time for me take a different course. I hope "The Core" feeds your spirit and allows 1 hour to feel like 5 minutes as we transcend our comfort zones by allowing our learning experiences at New Hope to be customized to our circumstances and personalizes education for our scholars.
We are creating a movement in education in which we all develop our own solutions and serve as external supports for our scholars and each other based on a personalized curriculum. WHAT WE ARE DOING IS REVOLUTIONARY!
CALL TO ACTION: On a post-it, choose a word or line from this week's Principal's Message and write about how to plan to be innovative this week. Please submit all post-its to Ms. Michael by Tuesday, May 3rd.
Instructional Expectations: Week of May 2, 2016
- Please use the following Compliance Checklist to meet the expectations for the week: https://docs.google.com/a/newhopecharterschool.org/document/d/1p2-S_eAp9DqfMSUd5Dt26iUabDtbB1XrP1TweDkJ0TM/edit?usp=sharing
K-5 Pre & Post Formal Observation Conferences
- K-2 Round II Formal Observations will take place the week of May 9, 2016. Calendar invites were sent for K-2 Pre-Observation Conferences & 3-5 Post-Observation Conferences. Please check your calendars.
- Pre-Observation Conference Form: https://docs.google.com/a/newhopecharterschool.org/document/d/1Vfg7isC3d2axJVX8s9qIPeFMs8vzSk8z6Ap5fOd3MWM/edit?usp=sharing
- Post-Observation Conference Form: https://docs.google.com/a/newhopecharterschool.org/document/d/1q3SfM1tIPXvLsCtZ_yMdYrQeYMXszMYGiHUDIfsVtK4/edit?usp=sharing
- Launch of Core Knowledge Pilot. All Unit & Lesson Plans should be uploaded here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnRm1FbGE5VF8tM00
Classroom Buddies Assignment & Expectations:
Please use the following checklist to provide feedback to your classroom buddy:
- Visible and organized anchor charts
- Interactive word walls
- Current student work
- Organized and inviting classroom librairies
- Organization of physical space
- Classroom Management Corner (voice check, SLANT, HALL etc)
- Technology Center/Access to Resources
School-Wide Instructional Expectations using Teach Like A Champion 2.0:
- This week's focus is Chapter 1: Gathering Data on Student Mastery
- Here is a TLaC doc for "Dummies": https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnQXNBc1p3eHh2ZTQ to support efficient knowledge of each technique.
- The Reflection & Practice at the conclusion of the chapter 1 is due on Wednesday, May 4, 2016 and must be uploaded in your respective folder via Google Doc: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnbzdSU1NuRDFfMTQ
- The expectation is that on Monday, May 2, 2016 Techniques from chapters 6, 7,9 are fully implemented school-wide. Use the following checklist to track daily progress: https://docs.google.com/a/newhopecharterschool.org/document/d/1GSlV2jsCwRtzdit46drkf-sJDlTJpwzwBzyfWkwMmLs/edit?usp=sharing
TEAM PLANNING FOCI: Week of May 2, 2016
- Each grade team is responsible for creating a Google Sheet with responses to the SUNY Renewal Benchmark questions and listing the artifacts to support the responses.
- Saturday Academy's Panel Discussion will take place based on this preparation
- During Team Planning, the expectation is that you will work collaboratively to ensure that the entire grade team has a thorough understanding of the following critical components:
- Understanding the Danielson Evaluation Process: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnWmw0Nlc2V0M1ZDA
- Danielson "Look Fors" by Domain: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnZjVHaEtrcVZwYW8
- SUNY Renewal Benchmarks (responding to questions & providing supporting artifacts): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EMQo4kodoW63yQToLlRnDByExbY4ft6H6V1p8Zwt6V8
Monday May 2nd, 2016
- Please adhere to the following Master Schedule: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OUOCf8pl4fkzOpzgqCREoLQq_bzGmqws7vO7yT1YPVA
- All families must be notified of the holdover by COB today via telephone. The call must be followed up by an email. Be sure to copy the Principal. A letter will be backpacked and mailed home certified return receipt by Friday, May 6, 2016. 5th Grade scholars SHOULD NOT pay Senior Dues. On Friday, April 22nd only 1 email was received.
- See PID List: https://docs.google.com/a/newhopecharterschool.org/spreadsheets/d/1kY6MEuzhAjmWhjS2UnN4ziSbMat8TTKqCUMUVC63IYs/edit?usp=sharing
Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016:
- K-2 Common Planning FOCUS: Analyzing Student Work & Core Knowledge Planning Modification (Room 313)
- Please welcome: Ms. Laird, Ms. Davis & Ms. Ciardullo. They are the newest members to our New Hope Family for the 2016/2017 school year! They will join us periodically for planning session.
- Teacher Clinics:
Ms. Leroy: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 from 7:35am to 7:45am.
Ms. Gerstung: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 from 7:45am to 7:55am
Friday, May 6th, 2016
- 3-5 Post Observation Conferences
- Core Knowledge Leads Meeting 7:30am-9:30am in Principal Stewart's Office.
- Teacher Weekly Reflections are Due on Friday by 8am.
- Math State Exam Scoring: 3rd Grade - Ms. Giarrizzo
- Principal for A Day Winner: Principal Amani Denny (Stanford University)
UPDATED School-Wide Procedures:
- All teachers should pick up attendance folders in the main office by 7:45am. Ms. Frankie will pickup completed attendance sheets by 9am. Remember to complete: 1) Teacher Signature, 2) Bubble Attendance Taken, and 3) double check ATTD in case students marked absence show up late.
- Please read the following thoroughly: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1asD7JcFELHSbY4Ui32DwlbaF82VkEZ7mNjeBKsZDKu8
- Please read the following thoroughly: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VvoNwY9mVmJG21QJrDKY2KQp6e57ldQHNM3BU4y6788
- Please read the following thoroughly: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AUXt_Le-KmjR8_Koc9EZ-leWyAZOquNl2MZDnMa_d_o
BE IN THE KNOW...
- Saturday Academy: May 14, 2016 from 9:00-2:00
- For scholars demonstrating academic & social behaviors that gets in the way of their learning the following Child Study Referral Form https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y6rvzA-q8HOb_ALUARn7nlxZHs5EbVuPNnLMxHcAMiw. In addition, the Classroom Intervention Referral Sheet must be completed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1maeu39w2RlSw0qtrWNk2GwvcYNSA1xCTNj3shvPPQrw
- CSI Visit: May 18, 2016 & May 19, 2016