Sectionalism & Industrialization
by: jasmine cox
War of 1812
- In the War of 1812 the United States took on the greatest naval power in the world Great Britain in a conflict that would have an immense impact on the young country’s future.
- many in the United States celebrated the War of 1812 as a "second war of independence"
- the War of 1812 including the capture and burning of the nation’s capital Washington D.C. in August 1814.
PEOPLE: james madison wages the war of 1812
henery clay led some new memebers of congress that year
Support for a high tariff to protect American industries and generate revenue for the federal government.
Clay first used the term “American System” in 1824
PEOPLE: henry clay used it in 1824
john quincy adams helped make the system
- In 1794 U.S.-born inventor Eli Whitney (1765-1825) patented the cotton gin
- By the mid-19th century, cotton had become America’s leading export.
- The gin made little money for Whitney due to patent-infringement issues.