By: Gab Giambrone
NASA's Kepler Discovers First Earth-Size Planet In The Habitable Zone of Another Star
Background information of Kepler 186f
- Diameter of planet - 44.41 km
- Average distance from sun - 52.4 million kilometers
- Average temperature - unknown
- Length of 1 day - unknown as well
- Length of a year (orbital period) - 130 Earth days
- No moons
- No rings
- Outer mist of 5 planets
- 10% larger than Earth
- About the same size as Earth
Interesting facts about Kepler 186f
- This is the 1st planet with a radius similar to Earth's in the habitable zone.
- There are 5 other planets that orbit Kepler 186f.
- The planet also orbits a red dwarf star with half the mass of the sun.
- There is liquid water on Kepler 186f's surface.
- "Rocky Road World" orbits a star that is cooler and dimmer than the sun.
- The surface of Kepler 186f is very bright. (Comparing from the brightness of when our sun is just setting here on Earth.)
- Kepler 186f gets the same amount of energy that Earth usually gets as well.