Back to School 2020-2021
#In this Together!
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school-year! To say that this will be an unprecedented year is an understatement. This year we will all learn together as we discover new ways to educate our students. Horn has been and always will be a family to me, whether you are teaching online or hybrid or both, we are all still one big Horn Family. As a family, my goal is to keep all our staff and students as safe as possible while still providing a high quality education. This will take team work and thinking outside of what has been traditionally done. I know our staff will rise to the challenge as we embark on a new journey.Thank you for going on this new journey with me, I am truly lucky to have all of you. Scroll through the newsletter to learn about beginning of the year happenings and updates at school.
I would also like to thank those teachers and paraprofessionals who committed their summer to working with our students in one capacity or another; Summer School or Extended School Year. For many of our students, it was a fun-filled, successful summer of learning. Furthermore, many staff members volunteered their time to serve on interview committees, attend training and complete other duties as assigned to ensure our students have the very best school experience possible!
From the bottom of my heart, I thank each of you for Making it Happen for our Horn Hornets! Please take time to thank these people as you arrive back to school!
Staff Changes & Updates
- Jenny Feng-ID Special Education Teacher
- Maddie Fields-Kindergarten Teacher
- Emily McAleer- 5th Grade Teacher
- Karen Clark- Title 1 Teacher (0.5)
- Lindsay McClurg- ELL Teacher
- Natalie Whelchel- Resource
- Jodie Obermueller-Nurse
- Bailey Clingan- General Education Paraeducator
First Week Schedule
- August 25-28 8:00-12:00 New Teacher Virtual Orientation
- August 24 8:00-4:00 Elementary IDS/Principal, Mentor, innovation, Secondary IDS with Ben Moser
- August 31 8:00-4:00 Virtual Professional Learning Day (Required: Teachers/Staff/Paras)
PM - Elementary Teachers - ELA: Superkids & Wonders Training
PM - Classified staff - Building Training / Complete mandatory online training
- September 2 PK-12 Online Student Material Pick Up (i.e. computers - if needed, textbooks, workbooks, etc) @ Home School 5:00-6:00 Online Student Material Pick up
6:00-7:00 Computer Pick up for Onsite Students.
- September 1 Virtual Teacher Quality Professional Development 8:00-4:00 (Optional Day for Teachers)
- September 2 8:00-4:00 Virtual District Profession Development Day - Dr. Anthony Muhammad (Required Day for Teachers)
- September 3 Preservice Days for Teachers (Required Day for Teachers)
- Elementary Virtual Meet & Greet (Instead of Ice Cream Social.).
- Kindergarten-4:00, First Grade-5:00, Second Grade-5:30, Third Grade- 6:00, 4th Grade-6:30, 5th Grade-7:00, 6th Grade-7:30.
- September 4 Preservice Days for Teachers (Required Day for Teachers)
- September 8 First Day of Classes for Students ( A Students)
Race, Equity, and Social Justice
I have spent a lot of time over the summer, listening, reading, and watching content related to the social injustices that have taken and continue to take place. Several things have resonated with me,
- I can't walk in your shoes. But I can LISTEN and LEARN in an attempt to UNDERSTAND.
- I can be an ally for you.
As a school community, we will continue to learn more, be better for our students, be louder for all, and practice love. We are deeply committed to coming together to build a better tomorrow. Together we are going to learn about our community and surrounding communities and the history of bias and racism in our country, while revisiting our school values. Throughout the year we will be engaged in meaningful dialogue and work through questions, concerns, thoughts and ideas while being uncomfortable together. Just remember we are stronger together.
I have linked the article, "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." I would like all staff to read this article and reflect using this padlet on what resonated with you by the end of the article.