Happy Friday Cougar Families!
We hope you have had a nice week. I want to share with you a teaching strategy that we have been really leaning into in our classrooms. Learning Intentions and Success Criteria: The purpose of this research based teaching strategy is to help our students focus on what they are supposed to learn, and give them the information they need to monitor their progress of learning. Our teachers are working on being very intentional about communicating to students exactly what they should be learning each day. They also articulate the building blocks of the learning intention so the students will know when they have been successful. More importantly, if they haven’t been successful, we hope the success criteria will help students identify where their challenges are in the learning progression with respect to the learning intention.
To see if it is working, ask your student what they were expected to learn today? Were they successful? We expect that, in time, they will be able to clearly articulate those answers better than you have ever heard before.
Have an awesome weekend!
- Monday, January 30th: Special Board Meeting @ 4:30pm
- Tuesday, January 31st: Coffee with the Principal @ 8:30am in the staff lounge
- Wednesday, February 1st: Virtual Coffee with the Principal @ 5pm on zoom
- February 6th-10th: National School Counseling Week
- Wednesday, February 8th: Governing Board Meeting @ 5pm
- Thursday, February 9th: Open House for new interested families @ 5pm
- Thursday, February 9th: FAFSA financial workshop @ 5pm
- Saturday, February 11th: Winter Formal
- Monday, February 13th: Lincoln Day, No School
- Tuesday, February 14th: PIQE will resume @ 9:30am
- Wednesday, February 15th: School Site Council @ 3:45pm in the staff lounge
- Wednesday, February 15th: FAFSA financial workshop @ 5pm
- Monday, February 20th: President's Day, No School
- Tuesday, February 21st: PIQE
- Tuesday, February 21st: Start Smart @ 6pm in the library
- Wednesday, February 22nd: Open Enrollment for 2023-2024 CLOSES (11:59pm)
- Friday, February 24th: SCHS Lottery (11am)
- Saturday, February 25th: FAFSA Workshop - Lunch Provided (last one)
- Tuesday, February 28st: PIQE
- Tuesday, February 28th: Coffee with the Principal @ 8:30am in the Staff Lounge
- Wednesday, March 1st: Virtual Coffee with the Principal @ 5pm on zoom
Open House & Campus Tours
All interested new students and families are welcome to Open House on Thursday, February 9th!
Sign up by February 22nd to be a part of the lottery to become a cougar! Intent to Enroll 2023-24
Sports, Sports, and More Sports!
Red is away, blue is home! Rah Rah Cougars!
Parent/Caregiver Mental Health Webinar Series
The San Diego County Office of Education, Student Wellness & School Culture, in partnership with Rady Children’s Hospital, is offering a four-part Parent/Caregiver Mental Health Webinar Series at no cost.
The first webinar on eating disorders will take place on January 31, 2023, from 6-7 pm with simultaneous Spanish translation. Please see the attached flyer for more information. Registration link: http://sdcoe.k12oms.org/918-230066
Cookie Book Day in 12th Grade ERWC The Art of Argument
Financial Aid Workshops - Still, need to complete your FAFSA?
You have until March 2, 2023 to apply but you should complete it earlier. The earlier you get it done, the more financial aid that is available to you. Don't forget this is a requirement to be eligible for a Cal-Grant and graduation.
We have two workshops scheduled this month. They will be presented by Grossmont College staff. There is a 50-person maximum per session. Students, please RSVP in Naviance under FAFSA!
This year Grossmont College is hosting four Family College Nights for prospective students' families as well as hosting various Family Heritage College Nights, which are as follows:
Drive Safe - the Cougar Way
Friendly reminder to drive cautiously as you enter and exit the campus. Campus Supervisors are here to keep the traffic moving - please follow all traffic directions from security personnel. Reminder that we do not provide access for cars at the back of the school during the school day.