CHEC Curriculum Design Institute
Learn. Adapt. Grow.
CHEC Curriculum Design Institute Big Ideas
The Common Core State Standards “Big Three Shifts” requires all teachers to change their mindset and retool their skill set to meet the rigorous demands. This change is particularly challenging for secondary teachers, who now are expected to place literacy skills over their content. This is a tall order for the secondary teachers who have traditionally viewed themselves as content teachers, not literacy teachers. This challenge is made more complex because secondary content teachers are not taught to teach the reading and writing process which is the most effective way to assess students’ understanding.
Therefore, our work during the CHEC Interdisciplinary Curriculum Institute will be to equip teachers with the tools and the mindset in order to meet the herculean challenges posed by the Common Core State Standards “Big Three Shifts.” During the first week of the institute, teachers will design, and assess their designs, of a literacy-based curriculum. The collaborative workshop will support teacher learning and transformation through peer feedback and the use of protocols for professional learning and growth.
The second week teachers will focus on the recommendations from “Writing Next” as a foundational text for learning the stages of the writing process. As an application, teachers will take the writing-based performance task they developed during week one through the stages of the writing process. Furthermore, they will teach a demonstration lesson of one of the literacy strategies from their unit.
- Empathy is at the heart of curriculum design and differentiated instruction.
- Teachers are designers and instructional guides.
- Student motivation is nested in the quality of the assessment teachers design.
- Teachers are the best teachers of teachers.
- How do I design curriculum, instructional and assessment so that learning is irresistible?
- How do I plan backwards?
- How do I support students' literacy skills in the content areas?
The Power of Empathy
The Power of Outrospection
5 Ways to Listen Better--Julian Treasure
Find Your Greatness
Curricular Units, Demonstration Lesson Plans and Support Materials
- Videos of whole group sessions
- Videos of demonstration lessons
- video of peer collaboration