What is it? Why is it important?
“Culture consists of common behaviors, traditions and beliefs demonstrated, followed and valued by a societal groups”
(Schmidt, 2008, p.28)
Cultural identity includes an individuals gender, ethnicity, race, social class, geography, age, religion and language
Characteristics of Cultural Sensitivity
- Appreciating/honoring diverse family cultures.
- Reaching out to people with different cultural identity.
- Learning about assumptions and biases held toward various people groups.
- Awareness of how different families rear children and interact in the community.
- Utilizing the unique cultural differences to promote diversity in education.
- Incorporating activities in the school that create a welcoming environment for diverse students and families.
Importance of Cultural Sensitivity
- Essential for positive communication between school personnel and families
- Supports the increase of parent involvement in the schools
- Cultural sensitivity of teachers and school personnel influences the academic achievement of students
Cultural Sensitivity in Schools
BUILDING A BRIDGE BETWEEN SCHOOLS AND FAMILIES