R.A. Brown Parent News
September 19, 2016
Monday, September 19
Tuesday, September 20
Wednesday, September 21(College Gear Day)
9:15-3:15 Late Start for Academic Seminar
Thursday, September 22
Friday, September 23 (Spirit Gear Day)
Magazine Fundraiser Ends
R.A. Brown Information
- School Attendance: September is Attendance Awareness Month - Last year, R.A. Brown had the most chronically absent students (19%) amongst the four middle schools. Chronic absenteeism occurs when a student misses more than 10% of the school year or 18 days. Our goal is to reduce the rate from 19% to 12% this year. If your student falls below 90% attendance, you can expect a contact from a counselor, teacher, or administrator. We know that students can only learn when they are at school. As a guide for you, students have good school attendance when they attend at >95% or missing less than 8 days during the school year.
Current Attendance Data:
- >95% = 601 or 83.1%
- 90-95% = 29 or 4%
- <90%= 93 or 12.9%
- Vacations: Please do not take vacation during school time. 80% of the information your student acquires is during instruction. Vacations are not an excused absences and they only put your child behind. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Attendance Incentive Social: Our first student social will be held after school on October 7th. It is the only social that admittance will be based on a student's attendance. To attend, students must have an attendance rate of >90%. For students over 95%, they will be admitted for free. There are 20 school days between now and 10/7. Students who attend 18 days or more will be able to attend.
- Back to School Night: Back to School Night is September 27th from 6:30-8:30p.m. There will be a general session form 6:30-7:00 in the gymnasium. From 7:05-8:30p.m. you will follow your student's schedule and meet their teachers.
- Parent Pick-up and Drop-off: Please pull forward when you are dropping off or picking up your student in front of the school. This will allow for much greater efficiency and safety. At times, cars are backed up on Francis Street.
- Magazine Fundraiser: The money earned from this fundraiser is used for student socials and leadership activities. The fundraiser starts today and ends on Friday, September 23. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to all of you who volunteered during Picture Day. Your support made the day more efficient for all.
We are in need of 2-3 volunteers to help this Friday, September 23 from 9:00-10:00am to help Mr. Corwin count magazine sells. Please call Mrs. Machian at 503-844-1070 if you are available.
Developing a Growth Mindset Culture
Since beginning this work five years ago, I understand and have personally benefitted from this work. For example, I used to have a real fixed mindset about some home projects. A few years back, our over-the-range microwave went out. Instead of having someone install it for me, I decided that it was time for me to take a risk and persevere. Two extra holes later (no one can see them) and a couple of hours, I had it done. I'll never forget my children saying, "Dad, you actually did it."
We all have areas where we exhibit growth and fixed mindsets. The key is to what extent do they impact our lives. So join us on this journey, I believe you'll find it very enlightening.
If you have a few minutes, watch both videos. The first is the why and the second is a brief introduction to the characteristics of a growth vs. fixed mindset.