We Are The Revolution
When We Stand Together - We Stand in Opportunity!
Carrying Forward Bernie's Future To Believe In
Isn't that what OurRevolution is all about?
Change can be sweeping as we saw from Bernie's revolutionary 2016 campaign. Sweeping change is also taking shape as people scurry to support either Trump or Hillary. But what of the success of such sweeping change?
"Nature abhors a vacuum." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Effective change is not sustained unless individuals are engaged politically, culturally, socially, and economically. It should be evident by now that our lives will not be shaped in any significant fashion by simply voting on the national stage. It is necessary to cross party lines, engage our enemies directly and indirectly, acknowledge conflict and offer meaningful attention to these matters. This is the hope for progressive advocacy group such as WATR.
Bernie Sanders is cited talking about a third party solution to the political duopoly that we suffer in this country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INuXb3rUImo. This was in 1986! Sanders is nothing if not consistent. While OurRevolution! is supported through ActBlue Democratic donations, WATR does not accept donations from the Democratic Party. We Are The Revolution may include Democrats, anti-Brownback Republicans, those who embrace a populist working class movement, Greens, and Independents. Through teach-ins and political empowerment of disenfranchised individuals and activist groups, we offer a growing pathway to engage a complex network.
Plan of Action
- We perform outreach to poll local citizens on what their most important municipal issues are and what their positions are on them.
- We take the results of that polling combined with internal research and counsel with veteran Lawrence activists to create a small platform / agenda.
- We phone bank, canvass, clipboard, host house parties and rallies around that agenda.
- We help elect a progressive majority that supports that agenda for November 2017 election.
Building From Success
- Alliances and partnerships with activist organizations and labor unions
- Developing mentor relationships
- Offer teach-ins
- Social media
- Direct action
- Civic engagement
- Gaining real-world experience
There is no shortage of meaningful opportunity. This shouldn't be overwhelming, it should be cathartic. Pick a part, pick a role, and watch it unfold...