children 3 and up
#1 MANGO- BANANA FROZEN YOUGURT
- 1 cup sliced ripe banana
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled mango
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) carton vanilla low-fat yogurt
1. Place first 4 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Combine banana mixture, milk, sugar, and yogurt in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
2. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze at least 1 hour.
let your toddler help by: Pouring the measured fruit and sugar into the blender with your guidance
#2 "GROWN-UP" GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp white cheddar cheese (such as Cracker Barrel)
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, cooked
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 cup onion and garlic; cook for 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each of 4 bread slices. Top each slice with 1/2 cup spinach, 2 tomato slices, 2 tablespoons onion mixture, and 1 1/2 bacon slices. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese; top with the remaining 4 bread slices.
3. Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place sandwiches in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese melts
#3 VEGGIE WRAPS
- 1 Cucumber, sliced
- 2 Zucchini, sliced
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 4 Mushrooms, chopped
- 4 green Onions, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- 4 Tortillas
- 1/2 cup fat-free or low-fat cream Cheese
1. Combine all veggies.
2. Spread cream cheese on tortilla.
3. Spread veggies and salsa over cream cheese.
4. Roll up.
#4 BANANA BITES
- 1 banana
- pancake batter (follow directions on box)
1. cut bananas slanted to make them longer
2. dunk bananas in pancake batter
3. take the bananas out of the batter and put 2 at a time in the pan.
4. cook until golden brown then flip
#5 TURKEY CUCUMBER ROLLUPS
- 2 persian cucumbers
- whipped cream cheese
- turkey deli meat
- Cut the cucumbers into sticks.
- Spread cream cheese on the deli meat, place the cucumber sticks in the center, and roll up like a burrito.
- Slice in half and serve
#6 BLT MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces fusilli pasta
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups finely shredded orange cheddar cheese (about 8 oz.)
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes quartered (about 1 cup)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes; drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until almost al dente; drain. In the same pot, bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat; whisk in the turmeric and stir in the cream cheese. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted. Add the pasta, bacon and tomatoes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce and toss to coat. Serve the salad with the pasta.
#7 FROZEN YOGURT LAYER CAKE
- 250 g strawberries
- 16 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 250 g bananas
- 250 g raspberries
- 250 g blackberries
- seasonal berries
- Line a loaf tin with clingfilm.
- In a blender or food processor, blitz the strawberries with 4 tablespoons of yogurt. Pour the fruit mixture into the tin and place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse out the blender or food processor, and blitz the bananas with another 4 tablespoons of yogurt. Add this layer to the tin and return it to the freezer.
- Repeat with the other 2 types of fruit and remaining yogurt.
#8 RAINBOW JAM TARTS
- 250 g plain flour , plus extra for dusting
- 250 g icing sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter , softened
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 orange or lemon
- a splash of milk
- 30 heaped teaspoons of your favorite jams, curds, marmalade and jellies
- Put the flour, sugar and butter into a food processor with a pinch of salt and pulse until you have a mixture that looks like breadcrumbs. Crack in the egg, grate in the zest from your orange or lemon and pulse again, adding a little splash of milk to bring everything together, if needed. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and pop it into the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Dust a clean surface and a rolling pin with flour and roll out the pastry so it’s 0.5cm thick. Get yourself a few 12-hole jam tart trays (or cook the tarts in batches) and a fluted pastry cutter just a little bigger than the holes of the tray (normally around 6cm). Cut out rounds of pastry and gently push them into the wells so they come up the sides. Any leftover pastry can be gently pushed back into a ball and rolled out to make a few more tarts. Put 1 heaped teaspoon of filling into each jam tart, interspersing and alternating the flavours of jams, curds or jellies.
- Pop the trays on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for around 12 to 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the filling is thick and bubbling. Remove from the oven, leave in the tray to firm slightly, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool for a few minutes before serving
#9 SWEET CORN QUESADILLAS
- 8 small tortillas
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1.5 cups of grated Monterrey jack cheese
- half of small red onion
- 2 cups of corn kernels
- 2 jalapenos seeded and finely chopped
- half cup cilantro leaves
- sour cream and salsa
- heat oven to 400
- brush each side of tortilla with the oil. turn tortilla over and top with cheese, onion, corn, jalapenos, and cilantro
- fold tortilla and cook until cheese is melted