Digital Learning News Brief
September 8, 2015
Google Classroom, It's Not Just For Students!
Hey! Did You Know...?
And, W.T. is Using Google Forms to Facilitate Safe and Orderly Student Dismissal
How could using Google Forms make your department, school, or class more efficient?
If you have questions about getting started with Google or would like to explore creative ways to leverage the power of Google, contact your Digital Learning Specialist right away and schedule an appointment and/or training.
Google Account for Staff and Students
Staff Google accounts are created at the time their district login account is created. The username for staff is email@example.com. After the initial login, staff can reset their Google password by simply resetting their network login password as our automated system is designed to sync staff accounts across the system. Staff can access more information about using Google by searching the BISD Knowledge Base.
Using Google in the Birdville domain includes Google Drive, the powerful creation and collaboration environment used world-wide in education and business. Google Drive is available to all users in the Birdville domain.
NEW this year, students are able to communicate using Gmail in an age-appropriate environment intended to facilitate student work. Teachers are able to use their district Outlook email to communicate with students.
More and more Birdville teachers are using Google Classroom to manage workflow of both traditional and digital assignments and to extend the classroom beyond the walls and hours of the school day. Classroom is only available to users in the Birdville domain.
Elementary Digital Learning Team
Click the link below to view the Elementary Team's blog to learn more about their personal experiences using Twitter. We hope to see you on our first Twitter Chat tonight!
Secondary Digital Learning Team
Click the link below to view the Secondary Team's smore to learn more about student portfolios, blended learning, online textbooks and more. The student tool of the week is Instagrok and the teacher tool of the week is Flocabulary.
Project Innovate Partners
Mary, Richland Middle School: "I take my iPad with me to all district and campus meetings. I use it to take notes, make reminders and to look up information when prompted. It's been a useful tool to have ready information."
Brandy, Mullendore Elementary: "I have been using the camera and photo software to show what we are learning and so many new creative ways to do projects."
Stephanie, North Ridge Elementary: "We used the Garage Band App to record the class singing a Preposition song so that it can be uploaded to parents to help their child memorize prepositions."
Carla, Richland High School: "I have used my iPad to participate in the Digital Learning Twitter chat to collaborate with other teachers. "
Project Innovate FAQs
What if my iPad is lost or stolen?
- Immediately submit a Help Desk ticket providing as much detail as possible.
- Use the Find My iPad feature by signing in to iCloud using your Apple ID and Password.
- File a Police Report.
- Report the loss to your campus administrator and request they submit the Eduphoria form for lost, stolen, or damaged property.
- Refer to the User Agreement for more information.
How can I get a replacement for a lost or stolen iPad?
- Follow all procedures listed above.
- If it is determined that the user is responsible, campus funds are transferred to cover the cost of the iPad. Current replacement cost is $325.
- The user will be notified through Help Desk when a new iPad can be issued.
What if my campus assignment changes?
- Take your iPad with you to the new campus.
- Open the Agent app, log off, and then log on again with your Group ID (new campus #), Username, and Password.
What if my network password changes?
- Open the Agent app, log off, and then log on again with your Group ID (campus #), Username, and Password.
How can I sign up for a Project Innovate class and get an iPad?
- Currently, we have exhausted our supply of iPads available for Project Innovate training.
- When the next purchase of iPads is approved and received in the district, training sessions will be scheduled. (anticipated date, Fall 2015)
- Sessions will always be announced first in the weekly Digital Learning News Brief.