November 19, 2021
Please note: The next edition of the Tamanend Connections newsletter will be sent out on Friday, December 3
Tamanend Coffeehouse Returns!
- Congratulations to the 8th Grade Football team for winning the Central Bucks Middle School championship! In a very well-played, competitive game under the lights at CB South, Tamanend defeated Tohickon 20-16 to win this year’s CB championship. Many students, parents, and staff came out to support the team and created an amazing atmosphere. The team and coaches are grateful for all the support. Congratulations to all players, managers, and coaches!! Enjoy our pictures below!
- Family ID opened for Winter sports registration on October 1st. This includes girls basketball, wrestling, and boys basketball. All 7th and 8th Grade students interested in playing a Winter sport for Tamanend this year must be registered on the Family ID web site. The deadline for BOYS BASKETBALL registration is 8:00am on Wednesday, January 5th. If your child is not registered by that time, you will not receive important concussion information that will only be sent to those who are registered. All student-athletes must have completed PIAA physicals (if playing their first sport of the school year) OR PIAA Recertification (if they played a Fall sport) uploaded to Family ID prior to the start of the Winter sports season. The PIAA physical forms can be found HERE. The PIAA Recertification form can be found HERE. Additional items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page. Tryouts for boys basketball will begin on January 10th.
- If you are interested in becoming part of the Wrestling program, please click HERE for information about the upcoming season.
- Wrestling capped off its preseason last weekend by hosting a 2-day wrestling clinic for HS, MS and Youth wrestlers feature World Level Talent. Our wrestlers got the opportunity to learn a variety of techniques and spar with 2xNCAA Champion and 2020 Olympic Team member Jordan Oliver, 2x All-American and Israeli World Team Member Mitch Finesilver and 5x Colombian World Team member Nestor Taffur. Many exciting memories were made by all while the team worked to improve their craft. We’re excite for the start of the 2021-22 season with 37 members on our middle School team The future is looking good for these committed athletes. “This is the Way”
- If you and would like to receive immediate updates on game schedules, cancellations, etc., visit Tamanend Athletics web page and become a “fan” to get alerts for your child’s team.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Please see below for ice hockey information.
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball @ Lenape (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- No Contests
Wednesday, 11/24-Friday, 1126:
- No School
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
- No Contests
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball @ Newtown (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Holland (Home; 3:15)
- No Contests
Tamanend FRIENDS' Gingerbread House on Display at Peddlers' Village
9th Grade Baby Photos for Yearbook
Dear 9th Grade Parents:
The Tamanend Middle School yearbook advisors have opened a website to upload 9th grade baby pictures for the 2021-2022 yearbook. We are inviting you to include a photo memento in your child’s yearbook that he or she will have as a special reminder in their last year at Tamanend. Submitting your child’s baby picture is a great way to honor your child in the yearbook at this special time in his or her life. The cost is $5. If you would like to participate in this optional addition, please make sure that you follow the steps found on this page of our website.
**We will NOT be accepting photos that need to be uploaded. All uploading must be done on your own to the site mentioned below. Please only upload one (1) picture per child.
Reminder--Yearbook Ordering is Now Open
It’s a great time to order your child’s 2021-2022 Tamanend Yearbook! If you order online prior to January 31, 2022 the cost of the full-color, hardback yearbook is on sale for $35 (plus tax). This is also the deadline if you’d like to add any additional personalization to your child’s yearbook. The price of the yearbook will increase to $40 (plus tax) from February 1st- April 30th. After this date, we unfortunately cannot guarantee your child will be able to purchase a yearbook at the end of the year. Please click the link here to take you to Jostens online ordering page. No preorders will be accepted in school – all orders must be done through Jostens. If you have any questions, please email Kristen Gerth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder--Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Youth Recognition
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults. Nominations for November’s Boomerang Asset are due by Tuesday, 11/23. The chosen for November is Asset #34: Cultural Competence- Recognizing a young person who has knowledge of and comfort with people of different cultural/racial/ethnic backgrounds. Please submit your nomination through this link. Thank you in advance for your nomination.
Reminder--Next Meeting of Tamanend Parent Book Club is January 19
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
SWPBIS Bus Expectations
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Help CB South Girls' Volleyball Support Officer Ryan Allen
Bucks County Symphony Orchestra Concert--Sunday, December 5
Reminder--CB West Harlequin Club to Present Irving Berlin's White Christmas
Tickets for our production of Irving Berlin's White Christmas go on sale this Saturday, October 16th at 8am!
Performances are Thursday, November 18th at 7:00pm, Friday November 19th at 7:00pm and Saturday November 20th at 2:00pm and 7:00pm.
Tickets are $15 for Adults and $10 for Students/Seniors. We invite all Central Bucks staff to purchase tickets at the Student/Senior rate.
Get your tickets to this holiday favorite featuring lots of well-known standards including Blue Skies, I Love a Piano and, of course, White Christmas: https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/56597
We will be following all State and District Health and Safety Protocols which currently includes a mask requirement for all audience members. We will also be putting one empty seat between all parties.
Reminder--Doylestown YMCA Offers Free Memberships for 7th Graders
Did you know that the Doylestown YMCA offers free memberships for 7th Graders? Click here to read all about this great opportunity.
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Student Technology Security Outside of the U.S.
Currently, the Technology and Innovation Department blocks Microsoft Office 365 logins to Outlook, OneDrive, ClassLink, and Canvas from foreign countries. This aids in protecting our CBSD user accounts and organization from malicious computer attacks from outside of the United States.
Students who travel cannot assume their devices will work once they leave the United States. For student out-of-country access requests, please know that access to technology for vacations will not be approved at this time.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
Sparks--Career Education Information
As parents, we have had to consider the impact of the last 18 month on our children. Steven Mintz, an historian at the University of Texas at Austin and author of “Huck’s Raft: A History of American Childhood,” believes that traumatic events can leave “invisible scars” that might shape the character of a generation. However, recent studies have indicated that this might take the form of being more focused about the future such as their place in the world and a stronger commitment to social issues. Although we may see a cautious approach from our children, they may also be energized and optimistic about what lies ahead. Students may find themselves exploring new career paths and ready to take action. This is where we may see the resiliency and empathy that many young people have when faced with struggles. Losing time in the past year can be seen as a negative but also as an opportunity to appreciate what is ahead. Take a moment and ask your daughter or son what the future looks like. Can they connect their thoughts to the career education activities they are working on this school year in Smart Futures and Naviance?
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at email@example.com.
Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania with the cooperative support of the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Health and Welfare. SAP programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Every secondary school in Central Bucks has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. Click here to read the latest edition of the SAP newsletter.
Strengthening Families Group
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Reminder--Free COVID-19 Testing
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Free Breakfast and Lunch for All Tamanend Students for 2021-2022 School Year
In April 2021, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service extended the program that will provide for free meals for all students, regardless of income, for the 2021-22 school year. This has been made possible by nationwide waivers that provide for free meals for all students through June 2022.
All menus are available to be viewed online up to 2 weeks in advance by visiting cbsd.nutrislice.com.
Students are entitled to one complete reimbursable breakfast per day and one complete reimbursable lunch per day. Any second entrée or a la carte snack item will be charged to the students’ lunch account. We encourage all families to put money on their students account through MySchoolBucks.com as there will be no cash transactions this year to serve the students as safely and swiftly as possible.
We are thrilled to continue to safely serve students delicious, fresh, and nutritious meals at no charge, and we are equally excited to re-introduce our favorite programs to deliver fun, exciting, and tasty experiences to students throughout the coming year.
Please note: If your child has participated in the free and reduced meal program in the past, we encourage you to apply again as participation allows for eligibility in other programs. You can find the application here: Food Services / Free & Reduced Lunch Application (cbsd.org)
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
CB Farmer's Market at Barclay Elementary School
Any Central Bucks family who may need a little extra food assistance is welcome to join us on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of every month at Barclay Elementary School. Our drive-up food distributions run from 4:30 to 5:30 PM. We generally have free dry goods, fresh produce, milk, eggs, and bread, and often have some frozen meat and poultry. At each event we pass out an average of 12,000-15,000 pounds of food.
The CB Farmers Market started in 2019 as a monthly market that distributed free produce. At the start of the pandemic, we recognized a significant need in our community, with many families needing food assistance for the first time in their lives. As our operations grew, so did our network of amazing individuals and community organizations—all of whom are committed to addressing food insecurity in the Central Bucks School District. By our estimates, 1,500 CB children may experience temporary or chronic food insecurity—a statistic which should not exist in a community with our resources.
Our completely volunteer-run and managed organization was founded on two beliefs: 1) During times of need, which we all experience in one form or another, we should be able to count on the compassion and support of our neighbors; and 2) Our community’s collective commitment to our children is a bond much stronger than all of the other forces that might otherwise divide us.
Reminder--FEAST--Feeding Everyone at Special Times
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
As a reminder, at this time, students, staff, and visitors must wear masks inside Tamanend. Any mask exemption forms must be submitted to the Main Office in order for a student to be considered mask exempt. Students who are not on the mask exemption list will be reminded that they are required and expected to wear a mask throughout the school day, except when participating in certain activities as outlined in the CBSD Health & Safety plan. Please have a conversation with your student regarding your family's decision related to masking. Thank you!
Reminder--Volunteering at Tamanend
All Central Bucks School District Volunteers play a vital role in supporting the staff, students, sports programs and other activities of our schools.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering! We are excited to introduce our NEW contactless application and paperwork submission process to our CBSD volunteers. You can now upload your clearances online through our Volunteer Tracker portal. Please click App Garden- Volunteer Tracker to sign-up and review the clearance requirements. Sign-up is required for both New and Returning Volunteers! The Volunteer Tracker will allow you to sign-up for volunteer opportunities specific to your building and/or classroom of choice. You will receive communication via email to update you on the latest upcoming event(s), clearance expiration, and to review your participation level. Clearances and Background Checks are valid for five (5) years. Click here for required documentation and further information.
Reminder--New CBSD Student Absence Reporting System
The Central Bucks School District will be changing the way in which absences are reported, beginning on the first day of school, August 30, 2021. The following items are some key points to be aware of.
- Parents and guardians will be able to submit absence requests via the Parent Portal. Parents can request a full day absence, early dismissal, or late arrival.
- Absence requests will be reviewed by school attendance staff and approved or denied.
- Requests made using the parent portal will also serve as the excuse for the absence. Parents will not be required to submit an excuse either electronic or written.
- Parents and guardians can also still call the school to report an absence, but emails will no longer be accepted.
In addition, when a student is absent from school, but the school did not receive communication from the parent or guardian, the following communication will be sent:
- A text message will be sent midmorning notifying the parent or guardian of the absence
- An email will also be sent at the end of the school day reminding the parent or guardian that the student was marked absent.
Information regarding how to use the Parent Portal to report an absence can be found here.
You may report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Through Parent Portal
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Reminder--Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
Below is a map of how the student drop-off works in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk at the Athletics Entrance as indicated by the red dot on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area.
When dropping off your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO/OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. Please stay to the right of the parking lot, along the sidewalk, all the way up to the Cafeteria/Gym Entrance. Pull up as far as you can when the cars in front of you clear, and let your child out there.
When picking up your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT. The line of traffic will extend back toward the baseball field (Kelly Rd.). Please stay in the line of traffic and continue moving up as the car(s) in front of you move up. If we follow this procedure, all cars we be gone by 2:40.
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900
STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Good Morning Tamanend daily announcements (emailed to parents* and students each morning, scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website) *parents should email Mrs. Donna Kirkpatrick at firstname.lastname@example.org if they would like to have the daily announcements emailed to them directly
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Parent(s)/Guardian(s) Can Sign Up for Email Blast of Tamanend Daily Announcements
If parent(s)/guardian(s) wish to receive the daily announcements via email blast, they should email Mrs. Donna Kirkpatrick. Daily announcements are always posted under the "Daily Announcements" Section of the Tamanend website for those who do not wish to receive the daily email.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Dec. 16th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.