November 15, 2023
DAVID ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
5301 Shadowbend Pl.
The Woodlands, TX 77381
School Hours: 8:00 am - 3:10 pm
Kindergarten - 11:15-11:45
1st Grade - 11:30-12:00
2nd Grade - 11:50-12:20
3rd Grade - 12:05-12:35
4th Grade - 12:25-12:55
- Generation Texas Week (see below for more information)
- 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm - Spirit Night at Twisted Sugar
- 10:00 am - PTO Meeting
- 4th Grade Field Trip to Sam Houston Museum
- Generation Texas Week - Wear "Bling" or Green
- 9:00 am - 10:30 am - 1st Grade Parent Involvement
- 11:00 am - 12:25 pm - 4th Grade Parent Involvement
- Generation Texas Week - Wear a Tie, Scarf, or Career Choice
- Thanksgiving Holidays
- Spirit Sticks on Sale During Lunches
- Holiday Spirit Week - Wear your Favorite Holiday Color
- Holiday Spirit Week - Wear your Favorite Holiday Socks
- Holiday Spirit Week - Wear Blue and White
- 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm - 4th Grade Musical
- Holiday Spirit Week - Wear Holiday Pajamas
- Holiday Spirit Week - Wear a Holiday Shirt or Sweater
- 10:00 am - PTO Meeting
- 12:10 pm - Student Early Release
- Last Day to Submit GT Referrals (confirmation of GT application receipt will be sent in January)
- Winter Break
GENERATION TEXAS WEEK - 11/13-11/17
HOLIDAY SPIRIT WEEK - 12/4-12/8
Students and staff are invited to kick off our holiday season December 4th - 8th, by participating in daily dress up days. Please see the flyer below for all of the details.
Monday, December 4th
"Merry Monday" - Wear your favorite holiday color
Tuesday, December 5th
"Tinsel Toes Tuesday" - Wear your favorite holiday socks
Wednesday, December 6th
"Winter Wonderland Wednesday" - Let it snow! Wear white or blue
Thursday, December 7th
"'Twas the Night Thursday" - Wear holiday pajamas that are school appropriate
Friday, December 8th
"Festive Friday" - Get festive in your favorite holiday shirt or sweater
4th GRADE MUSICAL - 12/7
HOLIDAY CLASSROOM PARTIES - 12/15
We are happy to welcome parents in for your child's holiday party on Friday, December 15th. Don't forget to bring your driver's license with you when you check in. Please see the times below for each grade level.
- 8:45 am KG Holiday Party
- 9:00 am 1st Gr. Holiday Party
- 9:15 am 2nd Gr. Holiday Party
- 9:30 am 3rd Gr. Holiday Party
- 9:45 am 4th Gr. Holiday Party
GT REFERRALS - DUE BY 12/15
CHILDREN IN SANTA'S DREAM
CISD HOLIDAY CARD CONTEST WINNER - ALEXA FARIAS
Art teachers from across the district submitted students' artwork for the annual CISD Holiday Card Contest. This year, the elementary winner for the district was David Elementary first grader, Alexa Farias! Congratulations, Alexa! Alexa's artwork is titled "Joy" and can be viewed below.
LOST AND FOUND
NEW CISD CELL PHONE GUIDELINES
The Conroe ISD Board adopted new guidelines regarding student cell phone use during the October Board meeting. While it is not a substantial guideline change at the elementary level, there are changes in which parents need to be aware. Our Foundations team is working to ensure that these procedures are being implemented on our campus and that we are helping students adapt to these changes. The student handbook is currently being updated to reflect these changes. The new guidelines state the following:
- Cell phones and smartwatches may be used respectfully and responsibly before school and after school.
- Cell phones and smartwatches should not be used to capture video, audio, or images at school or on the bus.
- Cell phones and smartwatches should be set on silent mode and kept in backpacks, lockers, or other designated storage areas and should not be visible during school hours including instructional time, reward time, free time, lunch, and in the hallways.
- Use of cell phones and smartwatches may be permitted in extenuating circumstances with permission from a staff member.
NEWS FROM THE NURSE
The weeks ahead are typically full of family fun, celebrations and events, and vacations. Please plan ahead so we might all have an opportunity to enjoy this time without disappointment and disruption caused by illness.
- Model and practice effective handwashing and covering coughs/sneezes.
- Aside from handwashing, the most effective control measure for most illnesses is staying home from school when we are sick. Please keep children who are not feeling well at home and observe CISD return-to-school guidelines.
- Make a pick-up/absence plan for your student in case they become ill. Students should be picked up within 30 minutes
A sincere thank you for your help in keeping our David family healthy and happy. Wishing you all a delightful holiday season.
LUNCH SIGN UP
Please use the links below if you would like to sign up to have lunch with your child. Please note that we are only allowing one parent, per child for each sign up period.
*Please note that we will not be having lunch visitors 12/4-12/8 as we prepare our stage for the 4th grade musical.
Just a few reminders:
- One parent, per child during each sign up period
- Parents, please bring your own lunch -- Your child can still purchase from the cafeteria
- You may bring an outside lunch for your child, but just remind him/her not to order from the cafeteria
- Bring your driver's license for check-in
- Please check out at the front desk when you leave
- Parents of 2nd and 3rd graders will need to sit at tables located on the stage due to space limitations
Please use the Sign-Up Genius Link below.
Oct. 30th - Nov. 17th - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0544A4AA29A4FA7-45559571-lunch#/
Nov. 27th - Dec. 14th - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0544A4AA29A4FA7-46172310-lunch#/
COPY ROOM VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
We love to have parent helpers in our copy room! Each day is open to anyone from any grade to sign up for a 2 hour slot. Click on the link below to sign up and be sure to complete your CISD background check!
PARENT PATROL HELPERS NEEDED
We are in need of parents to help open car doors in our car line on Thursday and Friday mornings between 7:30 and 8:05 am. If you would like to help, please sign up on the link below and be sure to complete your CISD background check!
ORDER YOUR DAVID T-SHIRT, SWEATSHIRT, OR HOODIE TODAY!
- Order Your Yearbook Today - Yearbooks can be purchased on the Jostens website and are currently $45. The price increases as the year goes on, so be sure to order today for the best deal! Order here: https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/customer/1131940/David-Elementary-School/
- Photos Needed - The Yearbook Committee respectfully asks you to share the photos of your kiddos making memories at David! We encourage you to share the photos you take on campus and at campus events throughout the year. Using the QR code in the flyer below, please make sure to take the time to tag the students in the photo along with Grade/Teacher. This helps the committee ensure we represent all students at David Elementary!
- 4th Grade Baby Pics - We invite all parents of 4th grade students to submit a baby picture of their child. Please be sure to include your student's name and homeroom teacher. You can submit photos by clicking the QR code on the flyer, or by clicking the button below.
- Recognition Ads - Anyone can buy a recognition ad! This is a great way to honor your student for all of his/her hard work this year. Ads can be purchased on the Josten's website: http://www.jostens.com.
Join here: http://davidpto.membershiptoolkit.com
RAINY DAY DISMISSAL FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is rainy day dismissal?
Rainy day dismissal is called when we’ve determined the weather in the area is not safe to release bikers and walkers. This may include, but is not limited to, heavy rain, lightning, thunder, and/or heavy winds. A decision will be made by 3:05 pm and communicated to parents via text.
- Why do we wait so long to call rainy day dismissal?
Unfortunately, severe weather in our area changes extremely quickly. When a rainy day dismissal is called too early, the bad weather frequently moves out of the area by dismissal time.
- Should I call the school when there is a rainy day dismissal?
No. If you are unsure of your rainy day dismissal plan, please reach out to your teacher now to confirm. Your student’s transportation will automatically default to your prearranged “rainy day dismissal” choice. As long as your teacher knows your student’s rainy day dismissal plan, there is no need to contact the front office.
- If I’m a biker/walker parent, can I walk up to the school?
Please utilize the carline if possible. In the event that we call a rainy day dismissal after you have already walked to the school from a nearby neighborhood, you will be able to pick up your child at the side exits.
- Will I need my car rider sign for K-4?
Yes. ALL parents will need their car rider sign during rainy day dismissals, including 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade parents.
- If I’m a car rider parent, can I walk up to the school?
No. For everyone’s safety, car rider parents are asked to please stay in their vehicles.
- Should I go to the front office to get my child?
No. On rainy dismissal days, please only come to the front office in emergency situations.
- Will rainy day dismissal take longer than normal?
Yes. We ask for your patience as we safely dismiss all students.
SMART TAG PARENT REGISTRATION
Please visit https://www.conroeisd.net/transportation/smart-tag-parent-portal/ for more information about CISD's SMART Tag system. You can follow the directions below to register for a parent account.
SMART Tag Parent Registration
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- The campus name for your child
- Your child’s student ID#
- Your child’s date of birth
*You only need to register for one child. If you have multiple children, you can add the rest after registration
FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
- On your phone or computer, go to http://parent.smart-tag.net
- Select your child’s school district
- Click Register, then begin registration
- Enter the campus name, student ID# and date of birth for one (1) of your children, then click Find Child and then This is my child
- Enter the email you would like to use for your account and setup a password.
- Click Send Confirmation Code
- Check your email for your registration link. Click the link at the bottom of your email
- In your web browser, Click Submit
That’s it! You can now log into your account!
CHILD NUTRITION INFORMATION
Parents are encouraged to prepay for their child’s meals at www.myschoolbucks.com. Please allow up to 48 hours for payments to be applied to students’ accounts. There is a $2.75 charge per transaction to use the on-line payment system.
Breakfast is served here at David Elementary from 7:30 - 8:00 am. The price of breakfast is $2.00. The lunch price for regular student lunch is $3.20, and al a carte prices vary.
Please visit: http://www.conroeisd.net/department/child-nutrition/ for menu options and more information.
If sending in cash or checks, please place in an envelope and include the child’s name, ID number and grade to ensure crediting to the proper account. Checks should be made payable to CISD Child Nutrition and include Driver’s License # and Date of Birth.
If you are interested in applying for free or reduced meals, you must complete an application at www.myschoolapps.com. All students who would like to purchase breakfast or lunch, and do NOT qualify for the free/reduced meal program, must pay for meals.
All parents must complete a volunteer application online before volunteering at the school or chaperoning field trips.
This application process must be completed each and every year. Please go to http://www.conroeisd.net, click on the Parent/Student tab, and then click on the Volunteer in CISD tab, or click on the link below.
Please note that visitors are not allowed to interrupt the classroom during instructional time unless prior arrangements have been made with the teacher.
FEEDER SCHOOL UPDATES
HOLIDAY HOOPS CAMP - 12/16
The Conroe Independent School District (District) as an equal opportunity educational provider and employer does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in educational programs or activities that it operates or in employment matters. The District is required by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, as well as Board policy not to discriminate in such a manner.
For information about Title IX rights or Section 504/ADA rights, contact the Title IX Coordinator or the Section 504/ADA coordinator at 3205 W. Davis, Conroe, Texas 77304; (936) 709-7752.