Glenrosa Middle School
News - February 2023
February Principal's Message
To our GMS parents and guardians,
February is an exciting month for our students and we have a busy month ahead! As we approach Valentine’s Day and Harmony Day we encourage our students to practice kindness to one another and throughout the school.
Academically, our teachers are working hard to prepare our students for upcoming assessments and projects. We encourage you to check in with your child and ask about what they are learning in class. As always, our teachers and staff are here to support your child’s academic success.
We continue to have breakfast in the morning and our hot lunch program has been an overwhelming success. Thank you to all the parents who have supported GMS with your purchases. All funds from hot lunch go directly to programs in our school.
Basketball is almost finished for the year, and we would like to thank all of our staff for their time as well as those parents who stepped and volunteered to coach this year. We appreciate your time, energy and expertise!
Finally, we would like to remind parents about the importance of regular attendance. Regular attendance is key to academic success, and we ask that you make sure your child is present and on time each day.
We look forward to a great month and are excited to celebrate with our students.
Mrs. Bobbi Hunter, Principal
Mrs. Stephanie Read, Vice-Principal
Upcoming February events at GMS
- Monday, February 6 @6:00pm - PAC Meeting (online - Zoom link available on the website)
- Tuesday, February 7 @7:00pm - Music performance
- Wednesday, February 9 @5:30pm - Grade 9 Parent meeting for Outdoor Education
- Wednesday, February 9 @6:00pm - Late French Immersion parent meeting in the library
- Monday, February 13 - MBSS visit Gr. 9's to discuss Gr. 10
- Tuesday, February 14 - Valentine's Day
- Wednesday, February 15 - Harmony Day
- Wednesday, February 15 @6:00pm in the library - GMS Hockey Academy Parent Information Night
- Thursday, February 16 - Gr. 9 Immunizations
- Friday, February 17 - Pro-D day, no school for students
- Monday, February 20 - BC Family Day - no school for students
- Wednesday, February 22 - Pink Shirt Day
- Tuesday, February 28 - Gr. 8 & 9 Band Festival
December 5 – March 17
Quarter 2 and Semester 1 ends January 27
Quarter 3 starts January 30
If you haven't already, please download the School Messenger app to report your child(ren)'s absences.
GMS Hockey Academy Parent Information Night
Wednesday, Feb. 15th, 6pm
2974 Glen Abbey Place
West Kelowna, BC
the Hockey Academy Application Form for next year is attached.
NOTE: We will ONLY be accepting applications for the Hockey Academy between January 30 to March 17, 2023. The completed forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Updates and News
Learning How To Knit Classes
- Learn to Knit Poster.pdf
January 26 - February 23
Thursdays - 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Teen Study Zone
- Teen Study Zone All.pdf
Wednesday, January 11 - Wednesday, March 29
Okanagan Mission Library
Teen Writing Group
- Wednesday, February 22 - 4:00 pm - 4:45 pm
Wednesday, March 22 - 4:00 pm - 4:45 pm
FREE - Drop in night
Indigenous Resilience Festival
- March 26 10am - 9pm
More information here:
Erase - Session Establishing Respectful Relationships and Consent in Our Communities
- 4 opportunities to attend between February 2 and March 8, 2023.
- Grades 8-12 and their families that explores the topics of consent and gender-based violence. Trainers will discuss the current state in both the physical and digital landscape and will provide Parents/Caregivers tips and tools on how discuss these topics with their children.
- Use the link below for information and registration.