RPEMS Band Update August 21, 2017
Band Information for Grades 6th, 7th & 8th
RPEMS Band Update
First Day of Band "Stuff"
Just to Get Everyone Started On the Same Page
- What if I don't have my instrument yet? It's okay! We will not start playing until this Friday, August 25th. If you need help getting an instrument, please go to www.shopmeyermusic.com or call Meyer Music at 816-228-5656. They have a list of ALL of the items we use at East. (The longer a child goes without an instrument, the further he/she will fall behind. After about 2 weeks without an instrument, it may be necessary to switch to a different class. Also, remember we do not allow red, blue, yellow, green, purple etc. instruments in the band program. Usually/almost always are made poorly and will break instantly. We know they look cool, but they are basically just toys.)
- Do I need to bring my instrument on the first day of school? Nope! Do not begin to bring your instrument until Friday, August 25th or Monday, August 28th (whichever day you might have band). The first two days of school are a lot to handle with lots of information, so please keep the instrument at home. Bring it Friday!
- How can I find out more information about band? Go to our website rpbands.com/east . The website is under construction in a few areas, but is almost complete!
- How do I contact you if I need help? Jennifer.Gibson@raypec.org or Travis.Houston@raypec.org if you have 6th or 7th grade percussion.
- Will I have my own locker in the band room? Yes, unless you are a flutist, oboist or clarinetist. If you play one of those instruments just listed, you will need to keep your instrument in your locker, as we have 300 in our band program here at East and I have run out of instrument storage in the band room.
- Are concerts required? Yes, all school concerts are a requirement of the class, as it is the entire reason we joined this journey--to perform! (Family emergencies and band student illnesses are excused, however.)
- When are the concerts? You can checkout our band calendar at rpbands.com to see when your school has performances.
- Do I need a band polo? Yes! If you have the black band polo from your 6th and/or 7th grade years, you will not need to purchase a new one. I have limited extras of those, so if you've outgrown your own and would like another one, I will check on sizes available for you. I will not be placing an order for 7th or 8th graders this year. The 6th grade students, however, will received a new one that is completely different. You can pay online through the district website or wait until I send an order form home either through email or a paper copy. Please do not send money to myself or Mr. Houston yet. :) Thank you!
- I ordered my instrument from Meyer Music, but I don't have it yet. What do I do? More than likely your instrument is here at school. Don't panic! We will find it, I promise!
More Band Information
If you have questions about band, please contact:
Jennifer.Gibson@raypec.org for grades 6th, 7th & 8th
Travis.Houston@raypec.org for 6th or 7th grade percussion specific questions.
I look forward to meeting you all this evening or as the school year progresses! It's going to be amazing!