The Heart of a Lion
Its not to late. We still need your help!
We encourage you to assist in recruiting EOG proctors on June 2-4. Please let Mr. Yancey at email@example.com know if you or if you have volunteers that can help us!
EOG Tips for Parents
Before the Test
- Encourage your child to get a good night’s sleep before the test.
- Provide your child with a nutritious breakfast before the test.
- Minimize outside activities during the week of testing. This will help reduce stress at home.
- Set your alarm a little early each morning and make your time together at home pleasant and encouraging.
- Make sure your child arrives at school on time.
- Give your child a hug and let them know you have confidence in them!
Test Taking Strategies – During the Test
- A blank response is an incorrect response. Try to answer all of the questions and don’t leave any blank.
- Listen carefully to the instructions from the teacher and read the directions thoroughly.
- Pay close attention to wording. Some words like NO, NOT, NEVER, and ALWAYS can change the whole meaning to a question.
- Use the process of elimination. Eliminate any answers you know are incorrect and select the BEST answer from those remaining.
- Use your time wisely. Stay focused on the test, even if other students finish early. Don’t rush through the test and use any extra time to review your answers.
Students can save load documents to OneDrive from their tablet.
It’s time for the 8th grade dance!
It’s hard to believe that three short years ago these 8th graders were 6th graders. Now, all of the ‘senior’ activities are upon us and the kids are really looking forward to the dance. In order to provide them with a memorable night, we are asking for your help. Please consider donating any of the items listed below or if you prefer we will accept a monetary donation and do all of the shopping! We could also use volunteers to help with set up, clean up, and dance picture check-in. In order for us to have a better handle on the donations we are receiving, please sign up on our donation page at http://www.thevolunteerspace.com/vol.cfm?ID=1WN.
Small bottles of water
Small canned drinks (variety)
Chinese chicken wings
Paper products (black or white)
Forks (black or white)
Cheese & Cracker Trays
Pre-Pay Pictures only
May 29th is the deadline for 8th grade EOY activities.
Free Tutoring and Homework Help Now Available for GCS Families
It’s now easier for Guilford County School students and parents to get the extra help they need when it comes to school work. Guilford Parent Academy recently announced two new, online resources parents and students can access for free any time of the day or night.
“We know that when parents are engaged in the educational process, students achieve at higher levels, have a greater chance of going to college and do better overall in school and in life,” says Lindsay Whitley, director of Guilford Parent Academy. “When we talk about parent engagement, we want it to count. We want to provide parents with practical and convenient ways that they can support the educational process at home.”
That’s the goal of Brainfuse Help Now and Brainfuse Adult Learners. Help Now offers students tutoring services, designed for a wide range of academic needs. Students can get help with classwork, extra help in difficult subjects or prepare for college preparatory tests including the SAT. These services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to accommodate any schedule.
Brainfuse Adult Learners is designed to help parents brush up on their skills to better help their kids at home, as well as prepare for the GED, job search tools, interview practice and much more.
These resources are funded through Race to the Top grants.
Families who do not have computers at home are encouraged to check out tablets through the district’s mobile checkout labs at all middle schools. Tablets are able to be checked out for 10 days, which will allow families to utilize and explore these new learning resources.
There are two easy ways to access these resources: 1) Go to gparesources.gcsnc.com to register for an account and/or sign in to access resources, or 2) Go to www.gcsnc.com; Click on Departments; Select Guilford Parent Academy; Select ‘Join Here’ to register for an account and/or sign in to access resources.
Please note: The latest version of Java is required to access the one-to-one tutoring. Click here to install the latest version. If you are using a GCS computer, or if you are unable to install Java, click here for our troubleshooting guide.
This Week in the Lion's Den
June 2nd - June 12th Testing
June 2nd SBLT Leadership Meeting
June 5th First Friday
June 9th Athletic banquet at 6pm
June 10th NJHS Field Trip to Elon College
June 11th 8th grade outing to Celebration Station
June 12th 8th grade Dance
June 15th & 16th Early Release days
June 15th 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony 9am