Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 5/4
I am sending next week's newsletter early so that you have the information for MCAs, the spring program, and the Science Museum letter prior to the weekend.
The Math MCAs are this coming week, and we are testing Monday, Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday. Remind your child to get a great night of sleep prior to testing!
Students have worked hard all year on our math curriculum, and I know that they will do a fantastic job showing their learning.
FINAL IXL Challenge #8 (4/29-5/6):
Let's see lots of mastery for the final round!!!! Encourage your child to participate!
P.17, E.7, U.4
Have a wonderful weekend! Please see below for important announcements!
4th Grade Flex Pie Challenge Raffle
UPDATES, OBJECTIVES, & LINKS
Important Spring Dates:
THIS WEEK: May 4th-8th: 4th Grade Math MCAs/ Book Fair. We test Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday!
TUESDAY, May 5th: Spring Music & Art Program (6:00-6:45; Students should arrive to the classroom ~5:45 pm to get lined up & ready. See details in the attachment!)
May 14th-15th: Fourth Grade Science Museum Trip
May 21st: Fourth Grade Track & Field (5/22 & 5/26 are make-up dates)
June 4th: Last Day of School
Can you help? Seeking small treats for our MCA test takers! Thank you!
This Week's Important Updates:
- White T-Shirt for Spray Painting: Please have your child bring in a white t-shirt if they have not yet done so ASAP. Shirts will be washed, so please make sure sizing is correct! Thank you!
- Science Museum Letter: Your child will come home today with a detailed letter about our Science Museum trip. Please return the last 3 pages by THIS Wednesday, 5/6. Thanks!! The trip is quickly approaching! This letter gives information about what to pack, what we'll do, and when to expect our return on Friday. Your child may be picked up upon our return to school (about 11:20 am on Friday) if your schedule allows.
- Final Round of Scholastic Book Orders: The Book Fair is this coming week, and the final round of book orders will be sent home at the end of the week (5/7 or 5/8). This will allow time to order and receive the shipment before the end of the school year. This is a great way to stock up on summer reading!!! Book orders will be due Wednesday, May 13th (prior to the Science Museum trip on Thursday).
- Homework Routines: Students are assigned to reading 30-35+ minutes nightly, practicing math facts for 5-10+, completing the nightly Study Link/math assignment, and completing a roots assignment nightly.
- Transportation Changes?: Please write a note in your child’s planner, send me a note, or send me an e-mail any time your child has a change in transportation plans. This is very important! Thank you!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are analyzing how an author uses details in the story to develop the characters.
- We are reading Moonwalk and discussing main idea and supporting details.
- We are researching a state in order to write a report.
- We are writing poetry.
- We are building reading stamina and working on expanding vocabulary.
- We are solving multi-step word/story problems.
- We are using division to solve conversion problems.
- We are estimating weight and capacity.
- We are discussing rates.
- We are developing speed and accuracy with multiplication and division facts. Please help your child remember to practice facts at home each night for both multiplication and division! It is essential that students know basic facts with speed and accuracy. Thank you!
- In Science, we are learning about plant and animal classification.
- In Social Studies, students are studying the NE region of the United States. Students should study the states & capitals at home to prepare for an end-of-year test on all states and capitals.
- Students have selected a state to research over the coming weeks and will be writing a state report.
Wishing you a fantastic weekend & week ahead!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.
Your Partner in Education,