Weekly Memo: April 11-April 15
"Overcoming Mediocrity & Redefining Excellence"
Principal Stewart's Message:
THEME OF THE WEEK: LET'S KEEP THRIVING...
Let me start by saying I thoroughly enjoyed our time together on Saturday stretching, learning and growing. I pray that we continue to prosper in all our goals we set out to accomplishment. We are no longer in "survival mode!" We are thriving! The definition of the word "thrive" means "to realize a goal despite circumstances." That means we can prosper in all things no matter what is going on around us. We did not settle for an average year; we are having an extraordinary year. We are thriving in abundance! I'm proud of your resilience and perseverance.
With all the hard work and dedication demonstrated by EVERYONE, I think it's time for a pep talk... Please watch the video below and share with your scholars.
Instructional Coach Barrow's Message:
- Due to the New York State Common Core State Exams, Teacher Clinics & 3-5 Common Planning are suspended.
- Grade 2 resumes the administration of the NY ELA & Math Rehearsal Mock Exams on Monday, 4/11 and Tuesday, 4/12 respectively from 8:45am to 10:30am.
- Monday & Tuesday are regular instructional days for grades K-5. Please see the revised Master Test Readiness Schedule for Grades 3-5: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jobIGoSjn2Yj2e0ewFTelMHI8PjTMDGOlc4enRmSfLQ
- Grades 3-5, review the following instructional plan for the week of April 11th: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vLh_0BFcYeW9CGdVv8W7Ieiu2NTILNrzCHE0b7pImCg
School-Wide Instructional Expectations using Teach Like A Champion 2.0:
Note of Clarity: Implementation of the techniques identified last week should have begun in September 2015 unless you are new to Team New Hope. Here is a TLaC doc for "Dummies": https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnQXNBc1p3eHh2ZTQ to support efficient knowledge of each technique.
Chapter 6: Pacing: Lesson Plans for the Week of April 11th should clearly identify each technique: Change the Pace, Brighten Lines, All Hands, Work the Clock, & Every Minute Matters.
Please see agenda from Saturday Academy (April 9th) for an update: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UtEEiMaBmMCzuDTPDeG21Sz2o_gPSoVEICWokbyEPdk
Chapter 7: Building Ratio Through Questioning (week of April 4th)
- Wait Time
- Cold Call
- Call & Response
- Break It Down
- Habits of Discussion
- Turn & Talk
- Batch Process
The Reflection & Practice at the conclusion of the chapters are due on the following dates and must be completed independently in your respective folder via Google Doc: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnbzdSU1NuRDFfMTQ
- Chapter 7: Building Ratio Through Questioning (Wednesday, April 13th)
- Chapter 9: Building Ratio Through Discussion (Wednesday, April 20th)
The expectation is that BY (not on) Monday, May 2, 2016 all Techniques are fully implemented school-wide. Please creatively plan both within and across grade teams.
Classroom Buddies Assignment & Expectations:
During Saturday, classroom buddies met to choose a theme and devised classroom environment plan. If you were absent, please check-in with your respective buddy. All wish lists are due by Wednesday, April 13th. The deadline for revamping environments is by Friday, April 22nd.
The foci will be:
- Visible and organized anchor charts
- Interactive word walls
- current student work
- organized and inviting classroom librairies
- organization of physical space
- Classroom Management Corner (voice check, SLANT, HALL etc)
- Technology Center/Access to Resources
Each week should focus on one or more of the following listed above. With your Buddy, you should conduct classroom walkthroughs together of your classroom and others to identify a model area.
The Buddies are as follow:
- Cheng/Chin (K) & Watson (4th)
- Harry/Brady (K) & Giarrizzo & Morrison (3rd)
- Leroy/Nelson (1st) & Fynes (4th)
- O'Lewis/Saunders (1st) & Carter & Nelson (2nd)
- Lacroix/Avalon (1st) & Christian & Sterling (3rd)
- Principal Stewart & Watts/Sinclair (2nd)
TEAM PLANNING FOCI: April 11, 2016-May 13, 2016
During Team Planning from April 11, 2016-May 13, 2016, the expectation is that you will work collaboratively to ensure that the entire grade team has a thorough understanding of the following critical components:
- Student Engagement & Classroom Environment: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnSzNCd3FzQ05lR2c
- Understanding the Danielson Evaluation Process: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnWmw0Nlc2V0M1ZDA
- SUNY Renewal Benchmarks (responding to questions & providing supporting artifacts): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EMQo4kodoW63yQToLlRnDByExbY4ft6H6V1p8Zwt6V8
Point of Clarification: Each grade team is responsible for creating a Google Sheet with responses to the SUNY Renewal Benchmark questions and listing the artifacts to support the responses. Grade Team interviews will be conducted the week of April 18th during Team Planning.
Core Knowledge Unit Planning
Kindergarten: CORE FOCUS: Stories, Aesop's Fables & Tall Tales
First Grade: CORE FOCUS: Early Exploration & Settlement
Second Grade: CORE FOCUS: Ready Instruction based on Mock Exams
Third Grade: CORE FOCUS: 13 Colonies
Fourth Grade: CORE FOCUS: Treasure Island
Fifth Grade: CORE FOCUS: Civil War: Causes, Conflicts, Consequences
The following planning documents should be used:
- Unit Planning Template: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1edaOnGORYDST7vTZqF7y4KeLyyePMWOuVKWGKiizt4k
- Lesson Planning Template: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nY7xDhBssizWTR6x176-2HCBV4WZScTmR_bD1ZqyzNQ
A Leads meeting will be held on every Friday with Principal Stewart in Room 213C from 7:30am-9:30am with the following leads:
Kindergarten: Ms. Cheng
First Grade: Ms. Leroy
Third Grade: Ms. Giarrizzo
Fourth Grade: Ms. Hargrove
Fifth Grade: Ms. Lujan
Please bring the Core Knowledge resources below.
Core Knowledge Resources:
- Using Question Stems to Enhance Rigor & Student Engagement Professional Development PPT: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnMVFiZWlXWFJkLXJ2MmdkS21xSC1pWnZWYWZR
- Core Knowledge Teacher Edition
- Text, Music, & Art Resources
- Ready ELA Instruction Unit of Focus
- Ready Math Problem Solving or Instruction Unit of Focus
Come Celebrate April Birthdays Monday, April 11th @ 4:00pm
Monday, April 11th, 2016
- 2nd Grade Scholars will continue the administration of the NY ELA & Math Rehearsal Mock Exam Books 2 & 3.
- All Inside Bulletin Boards should have been changed on Monday, March 28th. On Sunday, April 3, 2016 a compliance walk-through was conducted and several classrooms have posted work from February 2016. Failure to post current work by COB will result in a letter to file.
- 5th Grade Internet Safety Training for Boys (10:54-11:42)
Play This Video For Scholars During Testing... Thanks NYU for Sharing!!!
Wednesday, April 13th, 2016:
- DAY 1: MATH STATE EXAM - BOOK 1. Here is the testing room schedule: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TkqrnrKo04Lj6Qf41qqzBqGbm4QaJJzqD7_O0DCzf2M. Any further updates will be provided by Testing Coordinators, Ms. Barrow and/or Ms. Z.
- All K-2 scholars will be on an Extended Learning Experience.
- Teach Like A Champion 2.0 Reflective & Practice Assignment Due.
Thursday, April 14th, 2016
- DAY 2: MATH STATE EXAM - BOOK 2.
- Here is the testing room schedule: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TkqrnrKo04Lj6Qf41qqzBqGbm4QaJJzqD7_O0DCzf2M. Any further updates will be provided by Testing Coordinators, Ms. Barrow and/or Ms. Z.
- All K-2 scholars will be on an Extended Learning Experience.
April 16, 2016
UPDATED School-Wide Procedures: Effective Monday, April 11, 2016
- All teachers should pick up attendance folders in the main office by 7:45am. Ms. Frankie will pickup completed attendance sheets by 9am. Remember to complete: 1) Teacher Signature, 2) Bubble Attendance Taken, and 3) double check ATTD in case students marked absence show up late.
- Please read the following thoroughly: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1asD7JcFELHSbY4Ui32DwlbaF82VkEZ7mNjeBKsZDKu8
- Please read the following thoroughly: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VvoNwY9mVmJG21QJrDKY2KQp6e57ldQHNM3BU4y6788
- Please read the following thoroughly: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AUXt_Le-KmjR8_Koc9EZ-leWyAZOquNl2MZDnMa_d_o
BE IN THE KNOW...
- All teachers who do not submit their lesson plans for ALL content areas will have mandatory lesson planning times from 4:30-5:30 on Tuesdays and Thursday. Drafting plans for the week to come beginning on Wednesday will help with time management. Please do not wait till Sunday...
- For scholars demonstrating academic & social behaviors that gets in the way of their learning the following Child Study Referral Form https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y6rvzA-q8HOb_ALUARn7nlxZHs5EbVuPNnLMxHcAMiw. In addition, the Classroom Intervention Referral Sheet must be completed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1maeu39w2RlSw0qtrWNk2GwvcYNSA1xCTNj3shvPPQrw
- CSI Visit: May 18, 2016 & May 19, 2016