Sioux Falls Community Education
We are hoping to have Driver's Ed class in November but the dates haven’t been set yet. Being on our email notification list you will find out about the registration opening before the public. Please click below to be added to the email notification list. Registration fills very quickly once it's open so make sure to add an email you check frequently. This does NOT guarantee you a spot in class, but serves as a courtesy notification when registration is open.
- 30 hours of classroom instruction
- Six hours of behind-the-wheel instruction and six hours of observation.
- A certified teacher with a driver's education endorsement provides the instruction.
Please note: we do NOT offer adult Driver's Education classes.
Need Insurance Verification?
For proof of successfully passing our certified DRIVER'S ED COURSE:
- please have your insurance company email: firstname.lastname@example.org and include: your student's name, date of birth and their verification form.
- If your insurance company doesn't have a verification form, we can provide an alternative form.
- For proof of GOOD GRADES, please contact your school counselor.
- Students must be 14 years old by the time class starts.
- Driver's Ed is offered at Washington, Lincoln and Roosevelt High Schools.
- Students are not required to hold their Instruction Permit before class. However, it's suggested that they apply shortly after completing the In Classroom portion of the course so students can practice driving with a parent/legal guardian and apply their learning right away!
- Classes are offered throughout the year including Summer.
- Registration fills very quickly and limited spots are available each session!
- Cost is $325 (enrolled in district 49-5) or $365 (out of district) and is due at the time of registration.
- If the Driver’s Ed student is on an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and needs the test read, please call (605) 367-4384 at least 1 WEEK BEFORE the class starts to make arrangements.
- To find out about when registration will open, we encourage you to join our email notification list! More details about our program and student expectations can be found on each school's Driver's Ed course description in the link below.
Registration is first come, first serve and open at select times of the year. We encourage you to read the class description in full. If registration isn't open, add your student to the email notification list also found on this page.
Policies & Cancellations
Please take a few minutes before registering for our Driver's Ed program to review the following policies. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the policies, please contact the Community Education office at 605-367-7999.
- Driver's Education Attendance Policy
- Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) Policy
- Cancellation Policy
Policies can be found here: https://bit.ly/3d2ZU5T
Graduated License Program
Wondering how the Graduated Licensing System works in SD for teen drivers? Check out this link for a step by step guide!
- Instruction Permit: Must be 14 years old and hold for a minimum of 90 days after successfully completing Driver's Ed and passing both the written and driving exams. All driving must be supervised. Student's who successfully pass our course are provided a stamped certificate that is needed to show the DMV to waive the Written & Driving exam at the DMV Station. Please keep your certificate in a safe place, cost is $10 for a duplicate certificate. Driving Conditions: May drive only with parent/guardian or designated adult over 18 years of age with one year driving experience.
- Restricted Minor's Permit: Must be 14 years old and meet all conditions of the instruction permit. Driving Conditions: May drive without supervision from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. with parent or guardian's permission. Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. if the seat next to the permit holder is occupied by the minor's parent or guardian.
- Operator's License: Must be 16 years old and meet all conditions of the instruction permit and must have driven conviction free for 6 months. Driving Conditions: Full driving privileges with no restrictions.