Sioux Falls Community Education
Registration is now FULL for all of the Summer 2021 Driver's Education courses. Please sign up for the Fall Email Notification at the link below to find out about the next available class in Fall 2021.
Changes To Teen Driver Permits
(Effective July 1, 2021)
The changes to teen driver permits and rules brought about by 2020 Senate Bill 113 are currently suspended by Governor Noem until June 30, 2021. Please review this information carefully and note it will apply to both existing and new learner’s and restricted permit applicants starting July 1, 2021. There is no “grandfathering,” so this applies to all unless they have already upgraded to an unrestricted adult driver’s license.
To read more about the updated Teen Driving Laws from the Department of Public Safety, please visit their website: SD Department of Public Safety / Teen Drivers
HERE is a helpful informational poster about the new laws from Department of Public Safety.
Registration is first come, first serve and open at select times of the year. We encourage you to read the class description in full. If registration isn't open or full, add your student to the email notification list also found on this page.
Note Regarding the Email Notification
The email notification list does not roll over into the next session. If you would like to be notified for another session, please sign up for the next email notification available. If one is not available, please check back.
- 30 hours of classroom instruction
- Six hours of behind-the-wheel instruction and six hours of observation.
- A certified teacher with a driver's education endorsement provides the instruction.
Our program includes both the in classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel. The behind-the-wheel component will begin 1-45 days after the in classroom component. Each student will have scheduled driving times which will vary but on average this is completed in 3-4 days (i.e. 3 hours each day for 4 days).
Please note: we do NOT offer adult Driver's Education classes.
- Students must be 14 years old by the time class starts.
- Driver's Ed is offered at Jefferson, Washington, Lincoln and Roosevelt High Schools.
- Students are not required to hold their Instruction Permit before class. However, it's suggested that they apply shortly after completing the In Classroom portion of the course so students can practice driving with a parent/legal guardian and apply their learning right away!
- Classes are offered throughout the year including Summer.
- Registration fills very quickly and limited spots are available each session!
- Cost is $325 (enrolled in district 49-5) or $365 (out of district) and is due at the time of registration.
- If the Driver’s Ed student is on an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and needs the test read, please call (605) 367-4384 at least 1 WEEK BEFORE the class starts to make arrangements.
- To find out about when registration will open, we encourage you to join our email notification list! More details about our program and student expectations can be found on each school's Driver's Ed course description in the BLUE button above.
Policies & Cancellations
Please take a few minutes before registering for our Driver's Ed program to review the following policies. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the policies, please contact the Community Education office at 605-367-7999.
- Driver's Education Attendance Policy
- Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) Policy
- Cancellation Policy
Policies can be found here: https://bit.ly/3d2ZU5T
Graduated License Program
Wondering how the Graduated Licensing System works in SD for teen drivers? Check out this link for a step by step guide!
- Instruction Permit: Must be 14 years old and hold for a minimum of 180 days since permit was issued and after successfully completing Driver's Ed which includes passing both the written and driving exams. All driving must be supervised. Student's who successfully pass our course are provided a stamped certificate that is needed to show the DMV to waive the Written & Driving exam at the DMV Station. Please keep your certificate in a safe place, cost is $10 for a duplicate certificate. Driving Conditions: May drive only with parent/guardian or designated adult over 18 years of age with one year driving experience. 50 hours minimum supervised driving that includes 10 hours at night and 10 hours in inclement weather.
- Restricted Minor's Permit: Must be 14 years old and meet all conditions of the instruction permit. Must hold for a minimum of six (6) months if under the age of 18. Driving Conditions: May drive without supervision from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. with parent or guardian's permission. Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. if the seat next to the permit holder is occupied by the minor's parent or guardian. No passengers outside immediate household for the first six months; 1 passenger allowed outside household after six months.
- Operator's License: Must be at least 16 years old and meet all conditions of the instruction and restricted permit and must have driven conviction free for 6 months. Driving Conditions: Full driving privileges with no restrictions.
*Updated for new state laws effective 7/1/2021.
Need Insurance Verification?
For proof of successfully passing our certified DRIVER'S ED COURSE:
- Please have your insurance company email: email@example.com and include: your student's name, date of birth and their verification form.
- If your insurance company doesn't have a verification form, we can provide an alternative form.
- For proof of GOOD GRADES, please contact your school counselor.