2020-2021 UAMS News
Message from the Principal
Dear Families and Students,
I am sharing with you information regarding our school opening on Wednesday, August 26th, and August 27th. This is certainly a school opening like no other! We are looking forward to the 20-21 school year.
The administration and teachers of UAMS are committed to providing strong academic learning experiences for our students. In the event that we need to transition to full remote learning, we are prepared for a seamless transition. We are very excited to get our students back in the classroom and are thankful for the time that we have with each child!
Please note the following important items as you read through the information below:
1. The building will open to students at 7:30 AM.
2. Once students enter the building, they will go to their first-period classroom.
3. Breakfast will be served in the cafeteria.
4. The first day of school for Group A is August 26th. The first day for Group B is August 27th.
5. Student drivers, passengers, and walkers will be dismissed at 2:30 PM.
6. Bus riders will begin boarding the busses at approximately 2:32 PM.
7. Parent pick-ups will be dismissed from the building once the busses depart at 2:39 PM.
8. Friday will be a full remote day for students. Teachers will be available by appointment. Please reach out to the individual teacher to schedule time if needed.
Thank you in advance for your patience as we adjust to our staggered dismissal procedures
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.
STUDENT CALENDAR AND SCHEDULE
- Students will come to school on an A/B Hybrid Schedule.
- Students with the last names beginning with A-L will come to school Mondays and Wednesdays. The first day of school for the A group is August 26th.
- Students with the last names beginning with M-Z will come to school Tuesdays and Thursdays. The first day of school for the B group is August 27th. The B group will not participate in remote learning on August 26th.
- Fridays will be a remote day for all students.
A/B HYBRID EXPECTATIONS
- While teachers may offer live-streamed class sessions, students will not be required to attend courses virtually on their remote learning day.
- On the remote learning days, students are expected to complete learning activities as assigned by their teacher.
- Teachers will be grading work that is completed face to face as well as at home with the grading scale listed in the student handbook:
F= Below 65
- Classroom teachers will take attendance when students are face to face as normal.
- Student attendance on remote learning days will be recorded by the completion of assignments.
- While in the hybrid model, students are not required to attend live-streamed class sessions. However, if we experience a school closure, students will be required to attend classes virtually.
Health and Safety
- Will be worn by all staff and students.
- Students may unmask while eating and drinking when spaced 6ft apart.
- BHS will make an extra effort to provide mask breaks and additional time outside.
Students and staff should conduct a daily screening prior to leaving home. Stay home if you have:
- A fever of 100.3 or higher.
- A cough
- Shortness of breath.
- Difficulty breathing.
Our maintenance department is currently run by The Aramark Corporation. Aramark provides food service and facility services to hospitals, universities, school districts, stadiums, and other businesses around the world. They are a large company and have access to the most up to date staff training, cleaning procedures, products, and equipment.
Each of our buildings will be cleaned throughout the day while the students are in the building and once they are dismissed. High touch areas such as doorknobs, bathrooms, light switches, handrails, etc will be cleaned throughout each day while the building is occupied.
In addition, prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, we replaced all of our HVAC units at the secondary campus. This was a scheduled project that happened at the perfect time! All of our air units are brand new. Our units will run at the maximum air exchange giving us the best indoor air quality.
Every student is provided with a computer and a charger
- Every student is provided with a computer and a charger
- Students should bring their computer to school each day fully charged.
- The district charges a $30.00 insurance fee to protect the device. Rates vary depending on lunch status.
- All students have until September 30th to enroll in the insurance program offered by the district. After that date, enrollment will not be offered, requiring any damages or replacement costs to be covered by the family.
- The enrollment form is attached below. You may send this to school with your child on the first day.