Vocabulary #1 Presentation
The desire of the colonists for revolution between 1770 to 1772 seemed _______, but Patriots such as Patrick Henry and Samuel Adams were gradually reigniting this passion for liberty behind the scenes through meetings and speeches.
- quies, quietis (Latin): quiet, rest
- quiesco, quiescere, quievi, quietum (Latin): to rest, to remain quiet
- normally an adjective, but can be used as a noun "quiescence" or "quienscency" meaning dormancy or inactivity
- can also be used as an adverb "quiescently" meaning being inactive or motionless
"After a long day at school, Amber wanted nothing more than to be in that peaceful, quiescent state of sleep."
-can also refer to quietness or dormancy in ideology
"During the reign of Oliver Cromwell, Catholic sentiment in the England appeared quiescent, until the Royalists united with the Irish overthrew Cromwell's commonwealth, after having lurked for years beneath the surface."
-can also refer to inactivity, or lack of progress
"Over the summer, my growth as a student becomes quiescent, if not declines, as I deter from the pursuit of knowledge demanded in the school year."
Quiescent vs Quiet
Quiet should mainly be used in the sense of hearing, as in the absence of sound, or the lack of turbulance in the sense of abstract concepts.
Quiescent should refer to inactivity and dormancy, as in no progress or development.
Quiescent in the Context of Biology
Which sentence uses "quiescent" incorrectly?
b. The Industrial Revolution was a quiescent period for production, as the available technology increased creating a spike in productivity and manufacturing.
c. I am a vivacious procrastinator, meaning my progress in the assignment is quiescent until the night before it is due, where my work effort reaches its apex.
d. Johnathon Edwards was a notable member of the Great Awakening movement, but the spread of his sermons and ideas was quiescent until George Whitefield came along and preached throughout the colonies.
What form of quiescent should be used in the following sentences?
2. After a long work day, Samantha stumbled to her car feeling half asleep, moving _________.
3. Her progress in violin was _________ after she stopped practicing at home, resulting in her never moving up a level.
Which could best be described as "quiescent"?
b. energy levels throughout the day
c. the Mauna Kea volcano (last eruption: 2460 B.C)
d. a sprinter