Oakview's Latest News, Events, Activities, & Opportunities
Oakview Earns State Green Steps Award
Oakview has been chosen as the 2018 SC Green Steps Restoring School of the Year! The Green Steps Schools program is an environmental education and action initiative that recognizes schools in South Carolina who take annual sustainable steps toward becoming more environmentally responsible. This award recognizes Oakview's tireless efforts to restore and improve our many established natural habitats: butterfly garden, nature trail, vegetable garden, popcorn and cotton plots, pecan trees, tree rain garden, composting program, and apple orchard. From fall and spring Garden Saturdays to classroom lessons and Garden Club meetings, these environments are an integral part of what makes Oakview 'A Habitat for Learning"! We are thrilled at the recognition and excited to continue our students' journey as stewards of our planet.
Oakview Earns LiveWell Greenville Healthy School Award
For five consecutive years, Oakview has received the LiveWell Greenville Healthy School Award! This honor recognizes the school's efforts to improve the health and wellness of our students, employees, and community. With an active Health and Wellness Committee at the school, teachers and PTA join together to support a wide variety of healthy living initiatives. Oakview understands that teaching the whole child, not just academics, is crucial to the overall development of our students. Congratulations, Oakview!
Philip Reavis, Ph.D
RESCHEDULED Garden Saturday
Questions can be directed to our STEM lab teacher, Mrs. DeMerritt.
Mrs. DeMeritt receives a DonorsChoose grant!
Mrs. DeMeritt recently earned funding for "Breaking Out with Rube Goldberg Machines" through a DonorsChoose grant. (click here for an example of a Rube Goldberg machine) She will receive materials, like Simple & Powered Machine set and Dominoes. Combined with recycled items like milk cartons and soup cans, 5th grade students will be able to create a Rube Goldberg as part of their classroom breakout project. Congrats, Mrs. DeMeritt!
Connecting with your Chromebook at Home
Please discuss with your student ways to keep the Chromebook protected on the journey to and from school and while using at home.
- Put your Chromebook in a protective sleeve and in the padded part of your backpack, if you have one.
- Do not throw your backpack around or down on the ground.
- Do not leave your backpack flat on the ground--it makes it easier to step on!
- Do not have food or drinks near the Chromebook.
- Chromebooks do not like when you touch their screen. The screen may blur or crack if you touch it too hard with any object--including your finger!
- Do not place your Chromebook on uneven surfaces where they might accidentally fall.
- Do not carry your Chromebook while the screen is open. Do not move the Chromebook by lifting from the screen.
When using your Chromebook at home, you need to authenticate! This will allow for a smoother use of your home WiFi. Follow the directions here.
Fifth graders take a trip back in time!
Fifth grade students connected with Roper Mountain Science Center to travel back to the days of Westward Expansion. They learned about the transcontinental railroad including the routes taken, who was involved in the construction, and how long it took to complete. Students analyzed advertisements inviting people to move west and discussed whether the ad was effective.
- Wednesday, October 10: International "Walk to School" Day @ 7:15-7:40, on the track
- Thursday, October 11: Boosterthon Pledges due
Week of October 15
- October 15-19: Fall Bookfair
- Tuesday, October 16: Makeup Picture Day
- Friday, October 19: Breakfast with Dads for 2nd and 3rd grades @ 7:15-8:00
Oakview's Lunch Menu can be found here
Fall Bookfair is coming!
The book fair will be open the following days and times:
- Monday and Wednesday, 7:30-3:00
- Tuesday and Thursday, 7:30-5:00
- Friday, 7:30-11:00
You may also choose to shop online October 10 through October 23rd. More information can be found on the Book Fair website here.
Red Ribbon Week
- Tuesday, October 23--Get RED-y for your future and wear RED!
- Wednesday, October 24- Stay on top and wear a hat!
- Thursday, October 25- Put your best foot forward and wear wacky socks!
- Friday, October 26- Be a team player and wear your favorite team shirt!
Box Tops Announcements
Fall Box Tops Collection Drive
Please send in all clipped Box Tops by Monday, October 15th!
**Papermate Products Box Tops for Education Sweepstakes!
From now until October 24th, click on this link once a day to earn a chance for Oakview to get 50,000 bonus Box Tops and 5,000 Papermate pens.
**Earn the chance to double our school's fall earnings by clicking this link once a day until September 30th!
**Earn bonus box tops by downloading the Box Tops Bonus App through this link!
- Check the date--All Box Tops have an expiration date. We have to throw away any expired Box Tops, as well as any with the date cut off!
- Please make sure to cut off ALL excess packaging. Box Tops should be clipped right on the boxed line!
- Package and label the clipped Box Tops in a sealed baggie or envelope, clearly labeled with the teacher's name and grade. Box Tops are counted by classroom for contest prizes so this step is extra important!
Boosterthon Pledges due this Thursday
Spirit Night @ Tropical Smoothie Cafe
October 11th, 2:30-8:00
(next to Lowe's Foods)
Spirit Night @ McDonald's
October 25th, 5:00-8:00